Bionic Heart - released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Preludian
Regular

Re: Bionic Heart - released!

#46 Post by Preludian »

It must be terrible for the developer and the co-workers to read such a devastating review like the one before. Having this good review now certainly corrects the negative feelings. So in the end you have two voices, one bad and one good, so this makes your game a controversial one which is a good thing imho. As a potential customer I would directly download the demo and see for myself.

But then I already bought your game and like it very much. :)

ameet

#47 Post by ameet »

Preludian wrote:It must be terrible for the developer and the co-workers to read such a devastating review like the one before. Having this good review now certainly corrects the negative feelings. So in the end you have two voices, one bad and one good, so this makes your game a controversial one which is a good thing imho. As a potential customer I would directly download the demo and see for myself.

But then I already bought your game and like it very much. :)
I'm so glad I bought the game before reading that negative review... I would have missed out on a great gaming experience.

I'm learning to ignore reviewers more and more.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#48 Post by sake-bento »

As a reviewer (not of games), and an actress, I'd say that reviews are really not much more than getting someone's opinion. I've written some pretty harsh reviews of wildly popular things, and some really nice reviews of things that a lot of people didn't like. I've received harsh and glowing reviews of my acting, sometimes even the same exact role and production. Just take everything with a grain of salt. It's impossible to please everyone, so just do your best. Negative reviews might hold a grain of truth with something you can improve upon. Positive reviews will give you a good direction to move in.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#49 Post by papillon »

As far as determining whether you personally will like a game, a reviewer is only useful if you know what that reviewer likes and dislikes. If a reviewer hates your favorite game and loves things you hate, they may not be the best opinion to rely on.

I say this because I think too many game review sites present reviews as if they are objective truths, instead of treating them like columns, where the presence of the writer and the writer's opinion is made more obvious. Columns tend to be clear on who's writing it and what might affect their perspective, even if it's just a tiny mini-blurb about the author. Looking at, say, a gamespot review, there is a name at the very bottom but no information or link to information.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#50 Post by jack_norton »

Anyway the cool thing about indie games is that there are free demos and you can just try the game for yourself. I never valued too much reviews, but honestly I must admit as a potential customer, if I saw only that terrible review probably I wouldn't have even downloaded the demo (also because the links were wrong :lol: ).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

#51 Post by Guest »

Sorry, this is probably not your fault but BMT Micro's fault, but I paid and they told me they didn't get anything, and now I didn't get the game download. I can't help but feel cheated. I already email them, but I don't feel happy since I didn't get to play immediately and I have to wait for reply.

I sincerely wanted to play the game, but now I am so pissed that I want a refund.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by jack_norton »

That happens very very rarely, mostly if you never did a purchase before with them. Others vendors are worse, trust me I tried many (I used to have another vendor and sometimes would take 24h to get the sale receipt!).
However isn't their fault, but of all the people trying to buy with fraudolent CC numbers. It's like at airport check-in: after the various terrorist attacks, now flying has become a pain in the ...! but isn't the airport security's fault, and even if people are surely pissed to be checked carefully everytime because they know they aren't bad people, there's no other solution :x
computer games

#53 Post by Guest »

Well, I paid using paypal, and it's already got deducted from my account, so they can't say they didn't get it :/ They told me I used wrong link to pay, but I used exactly the link they gave me. THAT was the reason why I was pissed off.

Also I bought Fatal hearts before and I am certain it also uses BMT Micro. I didn't get any problem because I used my debit card. This time I used paypal, and I didn't expect to get into such a stupid problem.

Blah, sorry to rant it here. >_<

Preludian
Regular

#54 Post by Preludian »

Well I used BMT the first time in conjunction with PayPal too and I got my version in seconds. Dunno, bad luck or wrong county :P

#55 Post by Guest »

Ah, ok, so they told me the reason why my order was on hold is because I was in Indonesia while my paypal account was in US. LOL. Man, I hate being restricted due this type of stupidity. (Similar to Veoh blocking Indo from using it.)

Anyway, I finally got the download. Sorry for all the trouble/complain. I am happy that now I can finally play the game.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by jack_norton »

Ah yes, such a situation will raise a security alert unfortunately :(

By the way, BMT recently introduced the login function which is very useful, you enter user/password so they'll remember all your future purchases (and there won't be delays like that). I suppose you bought fatal heart long time ago (they've introduced this function recently in last months).
computer games

#57 Post by Guest »

I have spent the entire day playing ^^ Here's my review:
Good:
- I like how different each endings from each other, this really helps in making me replay like a mad man. :D
- Surprisingly funny at times (Maybe I watched too much soap opera, so I can hardly take some of the conversation seriously i.e. Helen's jealousy :P )
- I like how detailed the world setting is, and some of endings incorporated with the setting well (At first I thought the setting isn't important, but I was mistaken!)
- Tanya back story is quite interesting and adds nice mystery elements to the story
- Nice bgs, I like how variety they was 8)

Neutral:
- Artwork is not my cup of tea, but they are quite well made
- Voice acting is a mixed bag, Luke can be too monotonous. And I think having two female lead with same voice actress isn't a good idea, as I did get confused with whose voice is who (When Tanya screams, she sounds exactly like Helen ^^'). But overall I commend for adding them as I do think it helps to enjoy the game better!

Bad:
- I didn't like Tom's role in the series. He either get the girl main character didn't get, or he betrayed him. He doesn't have much things to do with the plot. All of these makes him my least favorite character in the game. (I actually like the ending when he was killed lol)
- The lack of event CG (This could be due to budget, but I would prefer if there are pictures instead of just description of what's going on. i.e Julia VS Tanya)
- The lack of different music (This is actually compensated by the voice acting, but there are really too few soundtracks. I think there're only like 4-5?)

Other:
- I can't help but to feel sorry for Luke. His endings are generally terrible. He either got killed, changed into robot, confined for eternity, betrayed by friend and girl friend, suicide, etc. His life certainly sucks. lol

Possible bugs (?)
- I don't remember exactly how I get into this, but during the time when Tanya's in the bathroom, for some reason I can't do anything. I can't talk to Tanya nor do anything else aside from calling police.
- This one isn't really bug, it's more continuity problem. There are times when characters possessed certain knowledge when they shouldn't. For example Helen was scared of Tanya and accused her with Jogging suit thing even if I didn't go through any of the events in the park.
Overall:
- Great game, especially coming from Indie game developer, you are quite an inspiration. Thank you for making this game and I am looking forward for your future games!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks for the review, one of the best I got, with detailed explanations of what you did like and dislike about the game. I agree on all the critiques you make: having same actress do both main female characters, not many CGS, etc . BGs and Musics are limited for budget reasons indeed.
Luke endings: yes most are bad. I realized this when I had already written half of them so then I tried to make some neutral ones (like Richard menace, Julia the fortune teller and so on) and some very good ones (mostly the last one in the list).

I disagree a bit on Tom: of course, his primary role is to be an idiot and make player laugh :lol: but, in many part of the game he is like Luke's subconscious speaking. Like when
he tells that is impossible that you did nothing with Tanya, or he suggest you should spend more time with Helen and so on
, also he is decisive in one part of the game, when
he suggest the Mars escape plan, and also if you take him with you when you enter the secret lab he'll be able to neutralize Julia with the magnetic flux

About the bugs, the bathroom one is probably because you had such a poor relationship value with Tanya that only option was to call police :) about the continuity one thanks, will check it!
computer games

#59 Post by Guest »

Oh, for Tom, I supposed I am biased, since one of the earliest ending I got was his betrayal, and that is after I was trying to be nice to him! So I did find it hard to appreciate his role in the story. Majority of the endings treat Tom really nice. He ended with Helen, Julia or even Tanya!!! While Luke almost always get the short end of stick. I supposed I feel the injustice :P

As for the Mars one, I thought that either Luke or Tanya could fit the role of explaining the situation. But I supposed Tom has to have his shining moment. :lol:

But the great thing about your characters is I feel something about them, whether it's like or hate. It's great writing and characterization :D
As for the bathroom one. I thought it was strange because the buttons are there to click, like bathroom, bedroom, examine and go out, but when I click on them, there weren't any text appearing, so I thought it was a bug.

elmoz

#60 Post by elmoz »

I can't make Julia an interwiew with me!
I lied to Tom about Tanya and I said Helen must know everything.
And We go to Helen's flat together with Helen.
Next day I go into the office Mark meets me with Julia and She asks a few questions. Then she asks another interwiew.When I accept At the and of the work,Tina comes and There is Luke and Tina prisoners.
When I refuse She just goes with Tom and comes home.And You can get Tanya had a soul too. or You escape to Mars.