The Cute, Light, and Fluffy Project

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

Re: The Cute, Light, and Fluffy Project

#16 Post by lunasspecto »

Here are my reactions to the stories, in the order I played them:

"5 Minutes": I didn't know somebody else was using those BCS backgrounds. The story's pretty zany.

"My Eternal Rival": I felt like I do on the few occasions when I read a Mary Worth comic strip - like there's a story I'm supposed to have been following to this point, and now I'm clueless. The sprites are excellent and the frog cake is a nice touch.

"Cloud Fairy": I found a pleasant story about childhood dreams - basically what I expected of "The Cute, Light, and Fluffy Project." The character sprite worked well, and the backgrounds were well-chosen. I played to ending #1.

"Cuter Than Fiction": Perfect visual art all around. The dialogue was fun, and the plot lived up to the project's title, even if everything was very sudden.

I like the refined menus. The most interesting sprites in the menus are those from the story that didn't make it in (unless there's an Easter egg I'm missing).
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

V2Blast
Regular

#17 Post by V2Blast »

Download now, playthrough later.
Pie is delicious.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#18 Post by Vatina »

Yay it's out :D

Thanks for all the nice comments on "My Eternal Rival". After writing it I have been tempted to use the characters for something more later, so that might very well happen. A lot of the stuff I made up for them hasn't even been used after all.

And now I'm off to try the other stories here ^^

dstarsboy
Veteran

#19 Post by dstarsboy »

I finally have a free night to try this game but none of those links work. :( Is renai.us down again?
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Wintermoon »

Overall: I like short short stories, but downloading them individually is a hassle. Combining several such stories into an anthology is a great idea that I hope to see reused.

Menu: Nice artwork. Nitpick: when the mouse is over "Play", the top of the "C" from "Continue" turns purple, and when the mouse is over "Continue", the bottom of the "y" from "Play" turns purple. Also, are two menu pages really necessary for just four stories?

Cuter than Fiction: Joseph's character seems confused and inconsistent.
Giving away your pants for a hot dog seems like very bad trade. There is no logical connection between complaining that Midnight Ranger is childish and complaining that Midnight Ranger is not a true hero. And turning into a cosplayer that quickly at the end seems out of character.
Cloud Fairy: I have very little to say about this. Um, I like the way the credits were done.

My Eternal Rival: Probably my favorite story of the set, but it felt a bit rough and unfinished.
"Why was I stupid to use that spell" <-- Bad grammar. "I didn't think I could loose..." <-- Should be "lose". "servant-spell" <-- Should probably be two words, no hyphen. "out-smart" <-- Should be one word, no hyphen. The relative lack of descriptive text is a bold choice, but it makes some of the scenes somewhat hard to follow, especially since the visuals are rather vague in part.
Five minutes: I like the middle, but I don't get the beginning, or the end.
What does "time standing still for five minutes" mean anyway? Doesn't "time standing still" sort of imply that there are no more minutes? If there's a time limit, then time isn't really standing still at all.
Also, I found the forced pauses really annoying.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#21 Post by sake-bento »

I'm glad to see so many people enjoying this project. ^-^

Thank you very much for all the comments and the criticism. It's an honor to know that you would take the time to read my work and offer advice. I will do my best to make it harder for you in the future. ^_-

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#22 Post by Blue Lemma »

That was really cute ^o^ (and light and fluffy)

I played them in the order they appeared in the menu:

Cuter Than Fiction: I was expecting something more twisted-cute but it was a nice little story :) As usual, mugen's art is stellar! Amber Lyn is a cute otaku ^^ My only complaint is that it ended a bit abruptly (suddenly dumping me back at the menu screen)

The Cloud Fairy: I played to all 5 endings :D Elna was cute (heck, all the characters in these games are cute >.< ) and her explanations about the clouds were imaginative. Good music choices!

My Eternal Rival: The frog cake was awesome 8) I think if the game were longer, it would have been interesting to have it where Lera ended up being Luna's slave next ^^

5 Minutes: Not so fluffy, but Isabel was cute ^^ Good personality development on her. Like someone else said, I didn't really get the ending.

Bonus Game: There should've been one after the others were completed ;) That would've been neat :mrgreen:

Great job, everyone! Thanks for sharing your cute stories with us!
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#23 Post by Vatina »

Wintermoon wrote: My Eternal Rival: Probably my favorite story of the set, but it felt a bit rough and unfinished.
"Why was I stupid to use that spell" <-- Bad grammar. "I didn't think I could loose..." <-- Should be "lose". "servant-spell" <-- Should probably be two words, no hyphen. "out-smart" <-- Should be one word, no hyphen. The relative lack of descriptive text is a bold choice, but it makes some of the scenes somewhat hard to follow, especially since the visuals are rather vague in part.
Thank you for the corrections ^^; I really need more proofreaders for my shaky english.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#24 Post by chronoluminaire »

Well, I finally got round to playing my other CLF-ers' games. Yay! Soo cuute!

I find it very entertaining that three of the four games have a certain genre-savvy element to them - comments along the lines of "I've seen some stories where the protagonist has something like this happen..." :D :D

Cuter than Fiction was a lot of fun. I do like girl geeks. 8) Things moved a bit fast, perhaps, but it was fun for the otaku references at the con, and the celebration of play (a bit of a recurring theme through all the stories 8))

My Eternal Rival was... wacky and strange :shock: In a good way :)

5 Minutes was my favourite of them all! Isabel is insanely cute... I love more or less everything about her, from the zany, slightly stalkerish behaviour, to the crazy answerphone tricks, to the exceedingly short skirt :lol: The whole thing's got a delightful spirit to it, somewhat reminiscent of Amélie.
(And the melody in that music... I knew I'd heard it somewhere before, but I wouldn't have realised it was Paranoia Agent. Added a nice hauntingly evocative note, very much in keeping with the "I thought I recognised her from somewhere" feeling :))
It had a few imperfections - the background art style was very varied, there was one point on the phone when John's name becomes Joseph (?!), and the forced pauses were just a second or two too long. And the start bit was... confusing. But overall, I love it. More crazy, elaborate-trick-playing cute VN heroines, please! :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

dstarsboy
Veteran

#25 Post by dstarsboy »

I finally got a chance to play this. I've only played Vatina's story and Sake/Mugen's story thus far, I should get more time to try the others tonight.

Are of the stories kinetic?

Vatina, I can't wait to see a bigger story out of yours... that one was so adorable!

Sake/Mugen, extremely cute as well! Very well written and illustrated.

I'm really impressed with the quality of these cute little side projects you guys have done. I guess, that explains why you're some of the top contributors here.

Great work everyone!
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#26 Post by chronoluminaire »

dstarsboy wrote:Are of the stories kinetic?
The other three are, but mine isn't :3
(I'm not sure Samu-kun realised this when assembling the games: the menu style is different in the compilation from how it was in Cloud Fairy as I sent it to him. But it doesn't really matter.)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Dave the Twisted
Regular
Projects: 5 Minutes [Cute Story]

#27 Post by Dave the Twisted »

I'm not dead, really!

Wow, we're actually done! (Note for the future, never let me organize anything like this again...)
Thanks for all the good comments on my story, and the bad comments as well. Now I know what not to do next time. And now for my own comments.

Cuter than Fiction: Pretty enjoyable. I like the way Amber thinks. Offbeat and completely absent of cynicism.
Cloud Fairy: I like it. I'll need to play to some more endings to form a solid opinion.
My Eternal Rival: My favorite out of the lot. Spite and vengeance taking shape into a sinister form and yet collapses at the hands of a spanner in the works. I cannot look at that cake with a straight face. Success!
5 Minutes: After reading through this again, the writing looks stale and the story looks rushed and bland. I plan a more skillfully-written re-release. The ending was intended to make you wonder if time actually stopped or if she's just messing with you again. (And "John" turning into "Joseph" was probably Mugen and I using the same letter in the script for those characters. As for "Time stopping for five minutes, I intended it as somehthing like this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ourOutside, where the year inside=5 minutes and the hour outside=less than a second.)
For my next project I'm going to need a working toilet, a pair of pliers, a jar of cheez-whiz spread, 100 q-tips, a TV remote, a gearshift lever and a whole lot of duct tape. This is gonna be awesome.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#28 Post by F.I.A »

Cuter than Fiction
I guess it is easier for a girl to convince a guy that superhero shows are not childish. Still, won't it be more logical for Amber to ask where Joseph got that pants so she can buy from the shop? I guess it is a factor to add up to Amber's characteristics.

And it better not be me standing at the right of your booth, mugen.
Cloud Fairy
I guess it is a nice take on the terms available. It is interesting with 5 variety of endings.
My Eternal Rival
Cannot help but find it rather touhou-ish. However, that is not a bad thing.
5 Minutes
To be honest, I don't get what is cute and fluffy about this one. Funny, yes, but I really get the relation about time stopping for 5 minutes or so.
That said, two of the games that seem unresolved(5 Minutes and My Eternal Rival), as if they are ended rather abruptly. Adding a sort of epilogue might have helped.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

lucy
Lucy-Class Veteran

#29 Post by lucy »

Dave the Twisted wrote:And "John" turning into "Joseph" was probably Mugen
Not quite... see this?...
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 102#p69102

That him as Midnight Ranger. See the mustache? This is actually supposed to be an unlockable side story after unlocking gender swap mode (In gender swap mode... Amber becomes Andy and is the one tugging Joseph now Joan's skirt while drooling). Unfortunatelly, due to several events beyond our control plus several death threaths from Sake-Chan, this hidden arc was not included in the final release... though I know it's still in his computer... somewhere :twisted:
F.I.A wrote:And it better not be me standing at the right of your booth, mugen.
Let's see, booth is littered with Winter Shard posters and plus stand for Ren Tarrot Cards and barely visible but the green stack are unsold copies of EVE and a rather plain looking guy in glasses manning the booth... hmm... coincidence? I dunno... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#30 Post by LVUER »

Tried it last night. It's very good ^_^ We definitely need more games like this (I hope the pet project is going to be like this).

I only don't get the "5 minutes", especially the ending and the connection about the wanting of time standing still.