The Lost Smile [Mystery/Noir][Spanish/English][3D][Comic][Mature Themes][Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

The Lost Smile [Mystery/Noir][Spanish/English][3D][Comic][Mature Themes][Free]

#1 Post by Matalla »

Download it for free from: https://matalla-interactive.itch.io/the-lost-smile

The Lost Smile (original title "La Sonrisa Extraviada", "LSE" for short), tells a story typical in noir cinema or literature; a woman disappears, a detective tries to find her. However, I've tried to avoid the typical stereotypes of the genre, maintaining the essence: that portrayal of the dark side of human nature that unsettles us because we don't want to recognize ourselves in that cold, amoral glance that the mirror reflects back.

The protagonist also does not abide by the canons of the genre, mainly because they are almost all taken. Instead, detective Belmonte, as far as I know, introduces a new category that I don't think anyone will ever think of copying. He's a detective-philosopher. Or a detective-artist. Or a philosopher-artist who investigates.

Help him to uncover some terrible secrets... And be careful out there.

3D illustrations

Heavily processed 3D art to give it a raw visual style that suits the genre/theme. It has no sprites or backgrounds, every illustration is unique. Think in a panel from a comic or a frame from a movie.

Comic style dialogue

Comic bubble style textboxes for showing the narration and the dialogue with no names shown since the bubble points to the character making easy to follow the narration.

A clues/deductions interactive system

Through the game, depending on the options you choose, you'll find different clues about the case. You'll have to combine them to get deductions in order to solve the case. The deductions can be irrelevant or misleading, though. You'll need to find the right ones in order to get the "true" ending.

6 endings depending on the deductions you make

The story has 1 "true" ending and 5 alternative ones (including a generic one where the player fails to make any meaningful deduction). Better not think about them in terms of "good" or "bad" endings, though.

A cool vinyl jukebox

Music room with all available tracks. Mostly piano only music composed and performed by a very talented guy. You can chose any song from the soundtrack to be the music for the main menu.

It combines 2 distinct styles. The narrator (the detective himself, close to solve the case, telling the story through flashbacks) use a lyrical and philosophical language, reflecting on the facts he discovered and the path he took. The dialogues, though, are most in line with the classic style of dialogue of classic noir literature or movies: sharp, quick, witty and spicy.

The original language of the game is spanish, but I'm confident that the english version is solid and can be played and enjoyed even by native speakers. It has been adapted and edited by an outstanding professional (see credits below) and the outcome, I think, is really good. However, if you are fluent in spanish, I'd recommend to choose the spanish version, as is the original one.

Writing, illustrations, coding and GUI design:
Mario Matalla

Music:
Jose Serrano, Watercandle

Coding of the clues/deductions system:
Philat

English translation:
Mario Matalla

Consultant for the english version:
Ende (Contact)

Background of the ending summary screens:
Farrin N. Abbott, CopyCatFilms

Beta-testing:
Decadenttia, Stawberry, Forrocabeza, Padrecito, el Pers

The stoy has references to sex and some partial nuddity, although not shown in an explicit or obscene way (ie. not even a tit shown), there's also some violence and strong language, and people occasionally drink or go to places where minors are not allowed. I don't think it reaches the level of "not suited for minors", but it's definitely not for children. Be advised.

Hope you enjoy it.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

Decadenttia

Re: The Lost Smile [Mystery/Noir][Spanish/English][3D][Comic][Mature Themes][Free]

#2 Post by Decadenttia »

I told you before, but congrats for the english version release!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: The Lost Smile [Mystery/Noir][Spanish/English][3D][Comic][Mature Themes][Free]

#3 Post by Per K Grok »

I have played through this detective story to two different endings. Neither having the case being solved.
I do have however have a hypothesis on what the solution to the case is (or at least an idea on how I would tie the threads together, if I wrote the story). :)

The story is told in a very cinematic way. The graphics are stills, but a rather clever use of panning and the music makes the experience very movie-like. And we are talking Film Noir.

There is also a comics connection.
I am somewhat reminded of the old British strip-strip 'the Seekers' by John M Burns.

I am also reminded of Douglas Adams holistic detective Dirk Gently.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

#4 Post by Matalla »

Per K Grok wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 pm I have played through this detective story to two different endings. Neither having the case being solved.
I do have however have a hypothesis on what the solution to the case is (or at least an idea on how I would tie the threads together, if I wrote the story). :)

The story is told in a very cinematic way. The graphics are stills, but a rather clever use of panning and the music makes the experience very movie-like. And we are talking Film Noir.

There is also a comics connection.
I am somewhat reminded of the old British strip-strip 'the Seekers' by John M Burns.

I am also reminded of Douglas Adams holistic detective Dirk Gently.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and can wholeheartedly recommend it.
Thank you very much for your kind words, Per. It means so much to know that somebody has enjoyed this.

The movie and comic connections are intentional, not any one in particular, just the way those mediums' approach the genre. Well, after I finished the script, I realized that the narrative mechanism, telling the story through flashbacks was very similar to "Double Indemnity". Oh, well... if you accidentally copy something, it better be good, and this one is among the best. I didn't know "The Seekers" comic thing, but I searched it and it looks good, I'll try to get some of that.

I didn't think in the Dirk Gently novel until now, but I see the similarities the two main characters have. Nice finding.

If you need some help with the endings, there's a walkthrough in the walkthrough forum: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55681
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique