[The Dreaming] v0.9 (Win/Mac/Linux)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
neowired
Regular

Re: [The Dreaming] v0.9 (windows only)

#91 Post by neowired »

No offense but I think the 6 ending was rather stupid, especially after all the trouble of getting it, and loosing my precious sleep hours

Disregarding that, the overall writing was great, the music was great, the graphic was nice, the 5'th ending was nice too

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#92 Post by Taleweaver »

neowired wrote:No offense but I think the 6 ending was rather stupid, especially after all the trouble of getting it, and loosing my precious sleep hours

Disregarding that, the overall writing was great, the music was great, the graphic was nice, the 5'th ending was nice too
Heh. I somehow expected there would be at least a few reactions like that one. So if you prefer Ending 5, well, feel free to. It's a much more classic ending than the sorta "post-modern" Ending 6.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

neowired
Regular

#93 Post by neowired »

Heh. I somehow expected there would be at least a few reactions like that one. So if you prefer Ending 5, well, feel free to. It's a much more classic ending than the sorta "post-modern" Ending 6.
it may have been because i spent 5 or so hours on it and it was already 4 in the morning, doesn't make you very happy ; p

Personally prefer more of a mindscrew for a true ending. They could die or live, but I'd prefer it to end either in an open way, weird, or something completely outwordly. Like a gate to hell, aliens, secret government experiments, or just a complete mindscrew. "Everything like a hallucination", "it was just a dream", "the world is saved the magical powers vanish", "everything has come to an end even though the hero wins" is the type of already overdone (well, everything has already been done, like we all know ; p) which I don't really like, It's really a loss and bad/boring ending to me, instead of a good one
It's a personal choice I guess

I don't think it was bad, writing wise, but I cluster all those "no magic/no special powers/no mystery in the end" into one box and as very overdone and just don't like them. Annoys me more now than it did some years ago. Actually most anime end like that, I think. And I like when someone does the exact opposite. I suppose it's somewhat like a double subversion.
And by all means, I like the "truly" bad endings, where everyone dies in gruesome fashion, I'm fine with having a true ending like that. If not really expected, and as a final ending, It can be very unique and certainly is rarely used.

Having said that I do agree with the rest that the ending is nintendo hard to archive and there is some fake difficulty there. Even after replaying the whole game 5 times (not including all saving and reloading; and it forced me to reread lots of text which was very boring; and it forced me to skip lots of text, making my finger hurt from rapid mouse clicking ; p) I wasn't any closer to archiving it, and I'm sure I wouldn't without the guide

I ranted a bit, please forgive me

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#94 Post by Coren »

I still can't see either the epilogue or the developer's notes. Have been trying for a while. Can someone just tell me what's in the epilogue?

Mrs. Abject
Regular
Projects: Looking For My Prince, Ghost, Sleepwalk to Me

#95 Post by Mrs. Abject »

Kirroha wrote:I still can't see either the epilogue or the developer's notes. Have been trying for a while. Can someone just tell me what's in the epilogue?
Julius and the real Sarah go to visit Jane in the hospital. Julius decides that they can't leave her like this, and they pull the plug. It's all seen through Jane's perspective.

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#96 Post by alberte »

Looks intresting;
i'll download this one day.

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#97 Post by SyberiaWinx »

I am so frustrated right now.>_< I got endings 1-5, but could not figure out how to get ending 6. I've literally spent the past couple of hours trying to acheive it. Even after reading through this entire thread and looking elsewhere for help, I can't get it. I believe where I keep messing up is the conversation with the White Woman, and I really need someone to tell me what EXACTLY to say/do. After all those hours, the game closed for an unknown reason, and I lost ALL my save data. That means I'll have to re-download the game, get all the first five endings, try to get ending six, hope it doesn't happen again, and hope that I don't run into the error with the extra content not showing up.;-;

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#98 Post by Taleweaver »

As this game is probably going to remain unfinished for all eternity, I can just as well give out a walkthrough:
True Ending Walkthrough:
1. Draw a picture
2. Medication
3. Confrontation
4. Dash for the door
5. Look for Julius
6. You need to help ME!
7. I don't think you should see him
8. Are you a hallucination?
9. I am here, and so are you
10. Julius is to blame
11. As punishment
12. No one can change that
13. Open the stitches
14. Because of his mental condition
After you have reached the True Ending, there's an additional scene available from the main menu. After having reached all six endings, the Developer's Notes become available.
More about me in my blog

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#99 Post by SyberiaWinx »

Thanks.^^

By the way, what about it is unfinished?

Anyway, my thoughts on the game after the 1-5 endings. I'm a big fan of Higurashi, and it's such a good game, it's art style never really bothered me. I wasn't bothered by the art style in this game either. I must say, though, that the difficulty level is the biggest downfall of this game for me. I was enjoying playing through and choosing different things to get different endings, but that path to the true ending is completely linear, and that's something I advise against in all branching games. The end result is frustration, and that's been the downfall of many a good game.

I'm actually writing a novel with a similiar concept to Higurashi.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#100 Post by Taleweaver »

SyberiaWinx wrote:By the way, what about it is unfinished?
All art, for instance. The final difficulty factor. The fact that there's only a Windows version and none for Linux and Mac.
Only the barebones game concept, the music and parts of the character art are complete.
More about me in my blog

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#101 Post by SyberiaWinx »

I got the sixth ending, but there is no extra option at the main menu...How do I view the Extra scene? And what about the notes?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#102 Post by Taleweaver »

SyberiaWinx wrote:I got the sixth ending, but there is no extra option at the main menu...How do I view the Extra scene? And what about the notes?
Dang. There's the bug, again, and I have no idea what triggers it. For some people, the Epilogue and Designer's Notes don't seem to work.

Try the following: Delete the game, then reinstall it. Finish the game via the Walkthrough; that should give you the Epilogue. For Designer's Notes, I'm sending you a PM.
More about me in my blog

SyberiaWinx
Regular

#103 Post by SyberiaWinx »

So, about the Epilogue...
Does Jane really die? I've heard of cases where taking the patient off life support is enough to get them to come to, even from comas.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#104 Post by Taleweaver »

SyberiaWinx wrote:So, about the Epilogue...
Well, considering from whose perspective everything is shown and given the fact that the Epilogue ends in pretty much the same way as the True Ending...

Is it really important? In my opinion, the really important thing is the choice Julius is making...
More about me in my blog

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#105 Post by Coren »

To view the extra scene and the notes, close your game and restart it. That's all.