[The Dreaming] v0.9 (Win/Mac/Linux)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
cuttlefish
Regular

Re: [The Dreaming] v0.9 (Win/Mac/Linux)

#181 Post by cuttlefish »

Okay. I managed to get the 5th ending.
I forgot that I could ignore the white woman....
Thanks for the hints.

Anyway, thoughts.
I actually didn't see the true ending coming from the start. Gabrielle's character seemed very real to me and it never crossed my mind that she was also one of Julius's hallucinations. (Well, there was the one time Julius asks Gabrielle if she is real in the beginning...) Hmm. But then why does Gabrielle only find Julius 3 months into her "intern" at the clinic? I would guess that, in the 3 months time, Julius was becoming familiar with the clinic, and thus could only form a doctor hallucination after he had learned enough about psychology/psychiatry that he didn't already know from his job. Hmm.

I can't access the Developer Notes despite getting all endings, so was it intentional that Gabrielle and Julius had certain similarities? For example, both basically got hired right after completing school. Also, both characters are very serious when it comes to work and logic. This makes me wonder why Julius's will appeared in the form of Gabrielle and not someone who looks more like him.

I didn't have a problem with the art, but I didn't expect Julius to look so young after I read that he was 28 years old. And there were more typos in the game than many of the other posts led me to believe. They didn't detract from the story, but hopefully they'll be fixed with the new version.
I'm not sure how the revamped game will change the experience, but I enjoyed playing The Dreaming for its story.
Good luck with the next version.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#182 Post by Destiny »

I finally finished it (even though I needed the walkthrough for the white woman part since I always picked the wrong combination). Also got to see the epilogue and notes.

I am extremly fascinated about this game. It is really deep and I say this as a person that has shizophrenia herself and can totally relate to Julius and Gabrielle seing things and feeling them as real (even though I'm not that lucky to just break out, but whatever xD).
I love the ending (
seriously, why do people dislike it so much, I find it the most perfect outcome, as bad for Gabrielle and Jane it might be
).
I love the art (the white woman will surely make my own halluzinations go so bad for the next few days :'D), love the sounds and music, love the story and writing (yeah, some errors here and there, but it was a minor thing). I only disliked the way Danny talks because I had difficulties to understand him at times and had to read it loud to realise what he was talking about xD
But I like the idea for him, maybe I should suggest a imaginary friend to my therapist? xDDD

No, but really, the game was awesome.
Even though I will definitly not leave my room today until it's 8am and maybe even skip sleeping at all after playing it for about 4 or 5 hours xD
But the mood was really great, I literally jumped when I heard a cat run over the roof while I played and I will seriously need to watch a lot of "My Little Pony" and "Teletubbies" now to even think about getting a bit of good sleep now xDDD

Please keep it up with this kind of work. It might be disturbing, but I love games of this sort (especially that the ghost story was totally rational in the very end which hugely surprised me in a positive way) :)
I would love to play the final game when it is ready, even though I kind of grown attached to the art of the monsters (especially the white woman and the monster with that axe thingy), but I'm a artist myself and believe that people get better in everything so I absolutly hope for the ghosts to become even more menacing ;)

P.S.
Maybe put the walkthrough in your first post or at least a hint there that the walkthrough can be found on page 7?
I myself clicked through all the thread and was shortly before giving up because I somewhere lost the track of which combination I had tried and grew frustrated ^^"
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#183 Post by Taleweaver »

Destiny wrote:Please keep it up with this kind of work. It might be disturbing, but I love games of this sort (especially that the ghost story was totally rational in the very end which hugely surprised me in a positive way) :)
I'm currently planning another project with an unusual backstory, one with many psychological implications, but that game won't come out until next year. It's probably going to be a co-op with one of the other groups of VN makers here on the LSF, and if you liked "The Dreaming", I'm sure you're going to love that one too.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

jeje
Regular

#184 Post by jeje »

Fan art
Ohhh~ I'm so pretty I'm so whiteee~ Look at my beouuuttttiffuull eye!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#185 Post by Taleweaver »

Magnificent!

(I could say more... but I don't want to go into spoiler territory.)
More about me in my blog

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#186 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Just downloaded it. Got 2nd and 3nd endings, still havent found the others. Yawn I'm sleepy now, guess tomorrow I'll try again ^^ it seems pretty hard just to trial-error all the options :)

I'd have to say that the artwork is somehow too cute for this genre >< not that I say it's bad, but...I expect much scary artwork lol. Hardly accept that Julius and Gabrielle are adult :p

Ah-I noticed you mentioned Indonesian food on this VN : ayam goreng, gado-gado :)
Is this LVUER's idea ? Lol
I'm impressed
Last edited by tiya_nofurita on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#187 Post by Taleweaver »

tiya_nofurita wrote:Ah-I noticed you mentioned Indonesian food on this VN : ayam goreng, gado-gado :)
Is this LVUER's idea ? Lol
No, that was my idea, but it was a tip of the hat to LVUER. I always try to make the people working with me smile.
More about me in my blog

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon

#188 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Oh,okay :) I bet LVUER must be happy :) Have you tried one of them ? It's yummy

Sorry for the double post >< I wrote my comment via my old-cell phone. It has limited capability on writing characters, so I separate my comments into 2 parts
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#189 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Finally got all the endings :) !
The true ending is kinda...surprising...but it make sense :) still, poor Gabrielle...The epilogue is kinda scary IMO, but I believe evryone have different interpretation

I did recall you told "Prozac" without mentioned the generic name, fluoxetine. I didn't even know til I read on wiki, such a shame for me :?
Great knowledge you have !
Last edited by tiya_nofurita on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#190 Post by Taleweaver »

tiya_nofurita wrote:I did recall you told "prozac" without mentioned the generic name, fluoxetine.
Most people who take Prozac probably wouldn't call it by the name "Fluoxetine" even though that's the "real" name of the drug. Same as normal people are more likely to call acetylsalicylic acid Aspirin, because that's the brand name it was originally published under. So when Julius calls Prozac Prozac, I think it's just what normal people would do.
Gr€ät kñow£€dg€ yöü häv€ !
Much of my job revolves around doing business with pharmaceutical companies, so I pick up a lot of stuff just from that.
More about me in my blog

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran

#191 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Lol I don't blame you, it just...the name "Prozac" is unfamiliar to me :)
It's true, even though now the patent of aspirin has ended, people still prefer to call it "aspirin" than "acetylsalycilic acid" :) because it's easier to remember
The same thing maybe goes on "n-acetyl-para-amino-phenol" become "paracetamol/acetaminophen" in short, although it's not a brand name
Last edited by tiya_nofurita on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webtoon

---
Completed project:

MY VISUAL NOVEL

shade0o

#192 Post by shade0o »

Wow, great game...

So far i've just gotten ending 3 with a restart going to 4.

(loaded up one of the auto saves and now unlocked 5)

Just 1, 2 and 6 to go...

1 and 2 are easier than you think. 6 is... challenging.

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#193 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Okay, I finally managed to get some time to play it.
I found myself a little overwhelmed by the extensive amount of choices, and how these affected the outcome.

The description of the white woman was so clear I could easily picture her in my head.
Loved the chess scene :3
Really liked the resolution of the sixth ending.

It's quite a shame that I was given a spoiler about this game on another topic T_T.

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#194 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

Taleweaver wrote: Isn't the entire setting too American for that? Besides, the entire work is Creative Commons, so the BBC cannot produce anything out of it without making that Creative Commons too.
I was just joking. It had the overall feel of a BBC miniseries to me. It is a wonderful fantasy though!
I am replaying it now. I am impressed with how different things are turning out though I have only made one different choice from last time.

GlassColoredRoses

#195 Post by GlassColoredRoses »

Ok I'm sorry to ask but how do you find the walkthrough for this game? I've gotten every ending except the true ending and feel I've tried everything. I'm new here so I'm not sure what the white boxes are about :(. Thanks!