[The Dreaming] v0.9 (Win/Mac/Linux)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: [The Dreaming] v0.9 (windows only)

#46 Post by Taleweaver »

Okay, final status update:

In early November, I will release The Dreaming v0.99, which will be the final release and including a little more original artwork but will remain unfinished. As promised, there will be some difficulty tweaks (and this will be the version I submit to the ren'ai archives afterwards), but seeing that LVUER is currently suffering from artist's block because of concentrating on this project for so many months, I see no reason to press her any longer.

This also means I'll stop sending out walkthroughs from now on, so if you're having any troubles getting through the game, wait until November.

Thanks for your patience.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#47 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I can't find the download link on filefront ... can someone circle it on a screenshot for me?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#48 Post by Taleweaver »

JinzouTamashii wrote:I can't find the download link on filefront ... can someone circle it on a screenshot for me?
Doesn't the link work?
http://www.filefront.com/14237479/The-Dreaming-0.9.zip/
More about me in my blog

#49 Post by Guest »

Hey i just recently downloaded this game and cant seem to get the true ending =x after reading this forum i know what it is but i still wanna get it myself x3
This also means I'll stop sending out walkthroughs from now on, so if you're having any troubles getting through the game, wait until November.
As its november is it okay to ask for a walkthrough again? I could really use one

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#50 Post by Taleweaver »

-_-

Sorry there's no progress here, but I'm currently occupied. Until I'm back, no more walkthroughs, sorry. Just try your best, okay? :)
More about me in my blog

#51 Post by Guest »

Wow, the atmosphere and writing just sucked me in right away. I actually started to get freaked out after
Jane was attacked by the giant monster.
After getting the fourth ending, I had to try playing it again. Got the second, then fifth, third, then first endings.

Still haven't managed to get the sixth one. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do to help Julius, even though as the player I think I've figured out what's going on.
After going Drawing -> Second Opinion, then Session -> Session the chess game was so cute by the way. xD;, Medication -> Confrontation, Medication -> Session; I'm running out of ideas!
I think the beginning focuses the most on the outcome, or what Gabriella knows when going into the Dreamling has to be established before hand.
I've gotten Danny, the straight jacket monster, the giant monster, and the white lady throughout the first encounters with the other world. I'm guessing the right path shows Jane first.
Anyways, know your not sending out walkthroughs, and the easier version doesn't seem to be out yet; so I'll keep trying. :) Great game though. I really liked the fifth ending. Julius and Gabriella make a cute couple in my opinion. xD;

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#52 Post by Taleweaver »

Guest wrote:
After going Drawing -> Second Opinion, then Session -> Session the chess game was so cute by the way. xD;, Medication -> Confrontation, Medication -> Session; I'm running out of ideas!
Let me help you a little: Solving "The Dreaming" is a little like dancing a razor's edge: If you're constantly dying, you're doing things _almost_ right. If most things seem rather tame, you're not on a path to the true ending.

To solve the game: Try to understand how Julius sees himself. Try to make Julius understand what got him into the situation he's in. Know when to run and when to be brave. Never forget that Julius is probably fully responsible for what's happened to him.
More about me in my blog

#53 Post by Guest »

Taleweaver wrote:
Guest wrote:
Let me help you a little: Solving "The Dreaming" is a little like dancing a razor's edge: If you're constantly dying, you're doing things _almost_ right. If most things seem rather tame, you're not on a path to the true ending.

To solve the game: Try to understand how Julius sees himself. Try to make Julius understand what got him into the situation he's in. Know when to run and when to be brave. Never forget that Julius is probably fully responsible for what's happened to him.
I noticed that in some cases as well. Like if I let certain things happen to Jane, the white woman's questions became a lot harder to get correct. Or rather, correct in the sense I didn't get the third ending. Also after trying a few different things in the beginning, Julius actually told me to get out of his room and Gabriella got eaten. xD; Something that had never happened before. So I hope I'm on the right track.

But I'm going to keep trying. I just love the symbolism behind the hallucinations. Everything that builds up the story and the characters. Makes me want to get that true ending to see everything unveil itself. :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#54 Post by Taleweaver »

Guest wrote:I noticed that in some cases as well. Like if I let certain things happen to Jane, the white woman's questions became a lot harder to get correct. Or rather, correct in the sense I didn't get the third ending. Also after trying a few different things in the beginning, Julius actually told me to get out of his room and Gabriella got eaten. xD; Something that had never happened before. So I hope I'm on the right track.
You need to balance a few things out. First of all, you need Julius's trust, at least to some extent, or he'll refuse to cooperate at some point (like the one you ran into) and you fail. Then, you also need to try to understand his mental state and not allow yourself to believe in his hallucinations too deeply, or you'll also fall prey to the Dreaming. Finally (and that's the key to the true ending), you need to find all leads to what caused Julius's current situation and unravel his past. If you can do all three things, then you'll reach the True Ending.
More about me in my blog

#55 Post by Guest »

Taleweaver wrote:You need to balance a few things out. First of all, you need Julius's trust, at least to some extent, or he'll refuse to cooperate at some point (like the one you ran into) and you fail. Then, you also need to try to understand his mental state and not allow yourself to believe in his hallucinations too deeply, or you'll also fall prey to the Dreaming. Finally (and that's the key to the true ending), you need to find all leads to what caused Julius's current situation and unravel his past. If you can do all three things, then you'll reach the True Ending.
I'm also rather curious as to why Gabriella never mentions the ponytail in Julius' picture. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the true ending, that the viewer notices but she does not. But I find it interesting neither the less, and think it's important for him to draw the picture.

Yet afterwards I'm unsure if the confrontation with his wife is more important, or the chat on the white lady. Even though Ms.Pinewood directly associates Julius to Jane, and makes you wonder; where the hell is she anyway? Your in here, then where IS your kid?

But Gabriella doesn't seem to pick up on it, even when Dr.Marshell remarks on how he may have already done something to her. Then again that's probably from buying too much into the Dreaming at that point since I have to claim Rachel real to maintain Julius' trust.

I still love the story, and Julius as a character, even though he probably did something terrible to his daughter. I'm guessing killed, but then again that might be why I can't find the true ending since I'm looking in the completely wrong direction.

Anyways, your writing is amazing. Probably going to try your other games after I beat or give up on The Dreaming. :D

[Hana]

#56 Post by [Hana] »

This game is truly amazing. Its really a breath of fresh air from a lot of games (with bland writing and/or protagonists), and with writing that pulls you in and keeps you there. It has a suspense that's really got me hooked, and characters that really keep it going. I have finished endings 1-5 and am trying to get that last end. I want to really learn more about the characters and the world it set in... and therein lies the one problem I seem to have with this game.
Just as I am starting to uncover parts about Julius's past I come on an end that doesn't really explain anything very well. I think that the 6th ending probably holds the key to everything, but the problem is is that it seems almost _impossible_ to achieve.
And when i keep getting the 4th and 5th ending over and over, I don't get frustrated or motivated as much as I get bored. This might just be me not being able to pick out the right choices or getting bored easy, but I really want to be able to enjoy this game much more.
If you don't want people to get the 6th ending until the very end, maybe just have an extra choice that only appears after all the other ends have been achieved? That makes a lot more sense to me than just making it extremely hard to get. I think a route that holds such significance to the overall story (if it does, I'm not sure) shouldn't be so hard that most people need a walkthrough to get to it.
That's just my personal opinion though. But really, other than the 6th ending, I really think this is one of the best EVN's I've ever played. Its the kind of thing you would recommend first to anyone wanting to read EVN's, or VN's in general.
I also really love the art style chosen here. I like how the art clashes with the story, it seems to create a contrast and leave room for interpretation by the player.
I hope my opinion helps somehow. Thank you for creating such an enjoyable game! If only I could get that 6th end....

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#57 Post by Taleweaver »

[Hana] wrote:And when i keep getting the 4th and 5th ending over and over, I don't get frustrated or motivated as much as I get bored. This might just be me not being able to pick out the right choices or getting bored easy, but I really want to be able to enjoy this game much more.
All this time and still no one who has claimed to have beaten the game without a walkthrough has made me wonder about that a lot, and while I wanted to work it over and make it a little more accessible, I'm afraid that's probably not going to happen as my artist quit before finishing her job (that, by the way, is the true explanation for the ponytail picture - it's based on an older piece of concept artwork ^_^). Even though I said I wouldn't give out walkthroughs any longer, I feel at least oblieged to give out some sort of Christmas gift.

Here, in spoiler tags, is _half_ the Walkthrough. In some only partially encrypted words.
Your first task with working on Julius is getting the big picture on him. After that, talk to people who know Julius. Make sure he gets to talk to them too. However, you need to know when you can deal with an obstacle and when you cannot. Never forget that your true objective is to reach Julius. Make it clear to him that neither he nor his hallucinations are the most important thing at hand. And since you should have understood by then that it is probably dangerous around him, make sure you let other people know that.
These are the first seven correct steps towards ending 6. Finding the other seven should be easier now.
More about me in my blog

Reutan

#58 Post by Reutan »

I registered just to say this... BUH. I love the game on some level, I keep playing and playing, attempting to get that elusive 6th ending... I'm hopeless even with half a guide. I suppose I'm having more trouble with the second half, the first half I actually had figured out for the most part.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#59 Post by Coren »

Meep, I still can't get the true ending. Walkthrough please?

For the part-walkthrough with subtle hints you've just given, I could understand the
big picture (ask him to draw a picture of himself)
part and the
neither he nor his hallucinations are the most important thing at hand (Forget Rachel, you have to help me)
part, but I don't know what choices for anything else.

EDIT:

Ok, so far I tried to follow your part walkthrough, and chose
1. draw picture 2. medication 3. Confrontation 4. Run away from the flesh monster 5. Find Julius 6. Forget Rachel, help me and 7. I don't think he should see you right now.
Are those choices correct? Even if they're so, I don't know what to answer to the rest of the questions.

EDIT2:

I surprisingly got through the White Woman part even though I chose the choice that caused me to Game Over at least three times before.
Is that the 'essential choice' towards Ending 6, that also steers you close to a Game Over? I chose the "You will never know" option in the last question.
However, even after that, I just keep getting Ending 4 and an occasional Ending 5.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#60 Post by Taleweaver »

Kirroha wrote:Ok, so far I tried to follow your part walkthrough, and chose
1. draw picture 2. medication 3. Confrontation 4. Run away from the flesh monster 5. Find Julius 6. Forget Rachel, help me and 7. I don't think he should see you right now.
Which is correct. You should be able to figure out the others yourself - actually, you've already understood the "dancing the razor's edge" part with your comment of the White Woman scene. That choice you're referring to is correct as well. Now find out how to make the best of Danny and the Stitched Man (both carry parts of Julius's secret) and you should be much closer.
More about me in my blog