Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [VOICED][Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020+]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [VOICED][Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020+]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

TOFU SHEETS VISUAL presents---

DOWNLOAD AT ITCH.IO
[WINDOWS/MAC/LINUX]

SYNOPSIS

Annelise is a seemingly normal high school student with the convenient oddity of her parents never being home. In fact, it's been an entire year since she last saw them in person. But after receiving a mysterious locket that her friend Sora found, things start to take a bizarre turn when a shota-looking butler pledging his unwavering loyalty appears on Annelise's doorstep!

Oh, and evidently (according to him anyway) she's not really called Annelise, but Lady Valance.... from another world. Yup....

FEATURES:
- 16,000+ words
- Voice acted dialogue
- 7 event CGs
- 3 endings
- OP & ED video
- Music, CG, Ending Galleries + Character Profiles
- A butler that can cook, clean, and wield a katana
- Battles end swiftly
- IT'S FREE~

OPENING VIDEO

MAIN CAST

Annelise [CV: Trina Deuhart]
ann.jpg
Our heroine! Sassy, curious, pouty.

Noah [CV: Shakyra Dunn]
Noah.jpg
Annelise's loyal butler who will swiftly take down all enemies that try to harm her--and still have time to serve tea & cookies!

Sora [CV: Dexter Hackley]
so.jpg
Annelise's best friend. He knows Annelise likes interesting stuff, so he gave her a locket he found to preoccupy her time.

Jason [CV: Will Engel]
jas.jpg
Another friend of Annelise. He gets bored easy, and can often slack off. But he's really fun to hang out with!

Emily [CV: Paige Martin]
em.jpg
An upperclassman that has been talking to Annelise lately. She is kind and sweet.

OTHER CHARACTERS

Mrs. Sato [CV: Kat A Peterson]
teacher.png
The caring teacher. Also Sora's mother.

Villains [CVs: Nick Chang, Samuel Parish, Elizabeth Novotny, Xuan Vinh Huynh]
enemies.jpg
Various villains appear to try and kill Lady Valance. Each one only appears briefly in a swift-ending battle. But it's an intense, swift ending battle.

??? [CV: Patrick Mealey]
sill.jpg
Mysterious voice, who is he?

ART CREDITS FOR PRE-MADE SPRITES BEING USED
Kainico, Ran, and Crescent Moon Arpeggio

Full credits can be found on the game's main page!

THE TEAM
Writer/Direction/OP&ED Videos: Kokoro Hane
GUI: Sayumi101
VAs: (look at individual characters)
CG Artist: LiamWinterdale
Chibi Artist: EmbraceofDestiny
OP Theme Translation: komehara

DEV NOTES APRIL.13.2020

8 years..... after 8 years.... I finally, with the help of my wonderful team, have defeated NaNoRenO!

This was a brutal 6 weeks hahahaha. I got the unvoiced build done by the traditional deadline (just kept its build hidden to complete the voiced version). Even our team had been setback a bit due to the current crisis, so the deadline was a major blessing. It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed working with all of my teammates.

Now the game is by no means perfect, but it's like that for every jam huh? LOL. I learnt so much about scaling back, learning to let go of minor imperfections, etc etc. one of the reasons I never finished NaNo lol. And even with all that, I loved what we were all able to make and I hope you do too!! To be honest, I was scared halfway writing the game's script if the concept was too much for a limited time frame, but somehow, I made it work, and I personally am satisfied.

Please enjoy the game and let us know what you think! If you find any errors, typos, or think a scene needs improved leveling, let us know too! Stay safe, healthy, and keep smiling ^^
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

SilentSiren

Re: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [VOICED][Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020+]

#2 Post by SilentSiren »

Hi! I really want to play this game but I can't seem to get it to run on my MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. I granted permissions for the game to run, but it's not working. When I try to launch the game, the app's icon bounces once on my dock, then disappears without the game window appearing. I tried restarting my laptop, but it doesn't help. Is there any fix for this issue?

EDIT: I tried both versions of the game but they aren't working for me.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [VOICED][Comedy][Action][GxB][NaNoRenO2020+]

#3 Post by azureXtwilight »

First, congrats for the release! My antivirus FREAKED out though, I wonder if this can be fixed without me having to turn it off?

I enjoyed the game! :D The voice acting is amazing as always, you could say that it was the thing that drives me towards playing it. Since you are using pre-made art so I won't comment much of them, I have to say that the changing styles bothers me a bit but I got used to it.
FIGHTS DO END FAST! XDDDD That twist with Noah I was surprised, it was a welcome one! I wished Annelise had cared about him more, though. It seemed like she's just 'OH, OK' when he is injured and is less concerned about him like he was to her. JASON on the other hand, I saw that coming but it was a good feeling when I saw it confirmed.

I also like Lilian a lot, because MOSTLY her voice as well, but man she is awesome XD Too bad she disappeared fast, but Lilian you shall be remembered.
This NaNo seems to be an amazing entry! I can see a lot of heart and hard work is put out into this, and it shows. Congratulations again!
>> you are not a doppelganger, are you?

OMG A REFERENCE TO ZHUANG IS WHAT I WAS GONNA SAY.

But thanks for the reference XD It was a nice little touch

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

SilentSiren wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 am Hi! I really want to play this game but I can't seem to get it to run on my MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. I granted permissions for the game to run, but it's not working. When I try to launch the game, the app's icon bounces once on my dock, then disappears without the game window appearing. I tried restarting my laptop, but it doesn't help. Is there any fix for this issue?

EDIT: I tried both versions of the game but they aren't working for me.
Hi there! Unfortunately as I am a Windows user, I am not quite sure to a solution of this. However, one option is if you download the Ren'Py engine itself, you can actually launch the game that way. I exported this on version 6.99.11 so you can try running it on that version. It may run on the latest version too, but not quite sure on that one.
azureXtwilight wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:43 am First, congrats for the release! My antivirus FREAKED out though, I wonder if this can be fixed without me having to turn it off?

I enjoyed the game! :D The voice acting is amazing as always, you could say that it was the thing that drives me towards playing it. Since you are using pre-made art so I won't comment much of them, I have to say that the changing styles bothers me a bit but I got used to it.
FIGHTS DO END FAST! XDDDD That twist with Noah I was surprised, it was a welcome one! I wished Annelise had cared about him more, though. It seemed like she's just 'OH, OK' when he is injured and is less concerned about him like he was to her. JASON on the other hand, I saw that coming but it was a good feeling when I saw it confirmed.

I also like Lilian a lot, because MOSTLY her voice as well, but man she is awesome XD Too bad she disappeared fast, but Lilian you shall be remembered.
This NaNo seems to be an amazing entry! I can see a lot of heart and hard work is put out into this, and it shows. Congratulations again!
>> you are not a doppelganger, are you?

OMG A REFERENCE TO ZHUANG IS WHAT I WAS GONNA SAY.

But thanks for the reference XD It was a nice little touch
You can add the game to your firewall's exception list. This way, you don't have to turn it off. It's what I had to do with my virus protection xD

Very pleased to hear your feedback, with what you enjoyed, and even what you didn't quite enjoy!! It means a lot to me. Happy you liked that reference!
Also----
Did you get the secret ending? There's actually 4 endings, not 3 hehe. It does show up on the ending list too when you get it. You have to specifically do the choices like this; Don't say anything, Someone was after me, Don't say anything, Summon Noah Anyway, Keep Trying. You'll get an alternate version of the Bad Ending, which instead of being a bad ending, it's an open to interpretation ending!
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Yesterday, I uploaded a Mac-only version for the voice acted build, as some people reported having problems with the cross-platform build. Thank you to my friend for testing it to make sure it works! She also said to Mac users to make sure it works; you have to go to system preferences, security and privacy, and then click "open anyway"
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

This game was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the voice acting. It's super rare to see fully voiced games (even a lot of commercials ones only have partial voice acting) but partial voice acting annoys me so much that I usually turn it off. This game was a real treat for that reason.

I wasn't sure how much I'd like the kind of cheesy and over-the-top characters and plot, but especially with the character voices, I overall found it really endearing and I really enjoyed myself. I also was NOT expecting the twist, which made it 200% better. Really nice job on this. ^_^

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Zelan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:02 am This game was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the voice acting. It's super rare to see fully voiced games (even a lot of commercials ones only have partial voice acting) but partial voice acting annoys me so much that I usually turn it off. This game was a real treat for that reason.

I wasn't sure how much I'd like the kind of cheesy and over-the-top characters and plot, but especially with the character voices, I overall found it really endearing and I really enjoyed myself. I also was NOT expecting the twist, which made it 200% better. Really nice job on this. ^_^
Hello!

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our game, especially the voice acting and twist! I really love making games with lots of voice work, so I am happy that the fully voiced dialogue was a treat for you. Thanks again for playing! ^^
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#8 Post by qirien »

Congrats on a successful NaNoRenO! Fun story and impressive voice acting.
Finished games:

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

qirien wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 pm Congrats on a successful NaNoRenO! Fun story and impressive voice acting.
Thank you very much!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Okay so Liam Winterdale had posted these unlisted videos sometime ago, but I KEPT FORGETTING TO POST ABOUT THEM! Anyway...

I made a dev log on the Itch page! That way I can protect those who click it accidentally by having a bolded warning, and having to scroll to the bottom to see the videos! Anyway.... DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAME! IT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS! because these are literally THE FINAL 5 CGs!

Otherwise, if you played the game, please enjoy ^^
https://tofu-sheets-visual.itch.io/sinc ... r-spoilers
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I would like to thank you guys tremendously for showing love to this game even after 2 years! We just reached another milestone, breaking 2,000 downloads! ^^
2000.png
2000.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"