Summer Schoolgirls - unleashed!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Summer Schoolgirls - unleashed!

#1 Post by papillon »

(Hrm, a pack of schoolgirls on a leash... Er.)

Well, it's a lot later than it meant to be, but at least we're in the right season for it!

http://www.hanakogames.com/summer.shtml

Don't want to shell out your hard-earned cash for my girls? Well, there's two ways around that. :)

1. I will be running a fanart contest at some point soon. So if you've got art skills and want to try for a free game, download the demo and start drawing! (Exact rules not yet certain. Most likely to be "Draw the PC and some other character hugging/looking friendly.")

2. Check out the affiliate instructions at http://www.hanakogames.com/affiliates.html - and you can get a discount on your game as well as earn money if you can manage to sell it to others. (I think they have a minimum payout, though, so if you ONLY sell to yourself you won't get your money back. You'd have to sell enough for them to send you a check. Check the rules!)

bookie
Veteran

#2 Post by bookie »

Ah, so that's what that 'buy game' button was about. I'm too much of a penny pincher to pay, but when you come up with the specifics about your fan art, please mention it and I'll have a go.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

Alright then... my thoughts are here:

First of all, the game is not story-oriented, but character-oriented. I sort of expected this and a story is what I missed, although it's more like "duuuh", it's a sim... It's also fair to say that the maker is traditionally inclined towards "more play - less reading", sims and rpg-ish games.

So it's very good that the game has a well defined audience. Although I'm not really opposed to guys writing girls' POV or vice versa, I am always more reassured when I know the girls' (or women's) feelings have been written by the same sex. You can fool me by stating you're a woman, of course, nevertheless it's how I feel it.

This said, I like this look into the female world, an all-girls dorm and so on. The atmosphere is what I looked for, easy playing, and with the game being pretty hard, at a certain point I simply gave up mechanical get-all-endings play and just started to play and enjoy the game. I made choices I wouldn't have made and got new story parts. It was never unlogical though. Shoujo-ai... it's mild. I mean really mild. Strangely enough then, you can not really call this ren'ai. More like tomodachi.

The absence of a story also supports this type of play and it's somehow more exploring and being happy when you uncover yet another branch. I was also happy to see the game was accessible for all ages - not too adult, not too teenie. Graphics are all non-photographic, which is a huge plus, the game has however three different graphical styles, so you'll have to play a few times to get accustomed to it.

No question, the game IS different (in being all girl, non-h), replayable, and all-round appealing. It has many good segmets, and even when it handles moral issues, it doesn't try to teach you. Ultimately, it's your decision.

But you can probably feel from the above said, that I wasn't the target group for this game. I'm not denying it. I missed a story and the game felt too conservative for me. But if you're a fan, then you should be thrilled. It's really inoffensive and easy on you, kind of like ToHeart meeting ShoujoUniLife.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

I played and enjoyed the demo. I was struck by how when Molly's looking bored, she looks very like Tenjou Utena. And then at the post-demo briefing, I realised that all of them resemble (visually) one of the Utena girls! Michelle is Nanami, Beth and Sophie both evoke Anthy, and Sophie could perhaps be Shiori... Am I right that it's not coincidence? And is this going to be any help in the full game? :)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#5 Post by papillon »

Not really, no, it's more just that I LOVE UTENA and I tend to steal the character designs :) (You may have noticed that in my freebie Sweet Dreams, the characters bear a vague resemblance to Juri, Shiori, and Kozue)

I have always been irked that no one has (afaik) released any way to play 7 Days in Ohtori in English. Games released in another language on a slightly obscure system (I don't think I ever knew the Saturn *existed* before hearing about it in the past tense on the internet) are hard to get into. I want to play that game! It annoys me, so I keep making vaguely Utena obsessed games. :)

But it's mostly just stealing the looks, not the personalities. There are *some* similarities, but just because Michelle looks a bit like Nanami doesn't mean she has dark memories involving her brother and a kitten. :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#6 Post by Megaman Z »

one of my contacts (that don't post here) has found this game listed on a hentai site. imagine that... I actually double-checked (one of the few times I ever remotely consider looking at one), and it's actually listed there. the site believes it's a free game, though.

for the sake of the little kiddies, I won't post the site here. papillon, if you actually want the link to the H-site with the game listed, I'll PM it to you... after getting my contact to remind me of the link. I tend to forget the H-site addresses really quick.
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by mikey »

I guess the thrill is to have a game you pay for available for free. I always wanted to see one of my games on a warez site but... oh well. It always hits the wrong people. :( That said, the game isn't even hentai.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#8 Post by papillon »

There's always a possibility that this secondhand rumor has gotten confused and is actually mistaking some of my own advertising (I *do* have hsites out there). :)

At one point there were plans to have some 'bonus' naked content available - there are a few images still buried in the code of the final game but there's no real way to get to them. It just didn't seem worth the effort of finishing that aspect, since anyone looking for a true hentai game would still be disappointed and anyone who wasn't wouldn't appreciate it.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#9 Post by papillon »

Don't forget the fanart contest ending soon!

http://www.hanakogames.com/contest.shtml

Lots of hits on the webpage but no entries yet, so you could win easily! :)

Also, I made a silly web quiz based on the personalities of the girls in the game:

http://quizilla.com/users/hpapillon/qui ... e%20you%3F

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#10 Post by rioka »

No one's entered yet..? Hmmm.... 8)

Anyways, my result for the quiz:
Anna
Shy and studious, you want to do your best in class, but you also don't want to get in anyone's way. You will go along with the group and try to keep everyone happy. You probably end up helping with - or doing - your friends' homework.

Not a bad outcome... =)
Err, hope you don't mind me linking to your image papillon. I'll unlink it if you want...

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#11 Post by Megaman Z »

*during quiz*
you didn't list BAND as an activity?!?!?

(and yet you have my favo(u)rite colo(u)r there...)

*done with quiz*

well... IF I ended up with the equivilant of a sex-changing curse put on me... I'd end up as an equivilant to Sophie. surprisingly, though, the only difference between the description and me is I'm male... scary when I think about it.
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

:P Just took the quiz and it was fun!
- why study
- play soccer
- watching movies
- techno
- yellow
... sums up to... Molly the sports girl ^_^

Taavimon
Regular

#13 Post by Taavimon »

I got Sophie. "Some people think you're weird or rude, but that's just because they don't really understand you! You're actually a very sweet and sensitive girl with a love of the arts and a heart full of romance. When you find the right people to be with, you are a true and loyal friend."

That's actually a pretty good summary of me, except for the girl part of course.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#14 Post by PyTom »

Well, I finally got access to a computer that runs real windows, and was able to run SS, both the demo and the commercial version. So I thought I'd write some of my comments:

First of all, I appreciate the production that went into its game. It has quite a bit of artwork for each character (I'm guessing 4 or 5 images, including 2 or so special cgs), and also a large number of full-color backgrounds, with a mix of cg, drawn, and manipulated images. That's a good thing, IMO.

The focus of this game seems to be more on puzzles, rather than the story focus of many other games. The story serves more as a reward, once you manage to find an sucessfully interact with a character, then as the focus of the game. So this probably falls on the side of something like Heikou, Transfer Teacher, and especially PK girl, perhaps more than some of the more straightforward storytelling games.

The interface was a little strange, with saving sometimes being present and sometimes absent. (But occasionally, you could readback and save from the previous screen.) Also, while the save dialog let one type in any filename, it only showed the single file named "save".

The questionaire that let you choose your roomate was an interesting mechanic, although I've yet to grok how it works. I've been throwing random data at it, and recording the results... a semi-systematic approach let me find combinations that yielded all possible roomates. A way of returning to the main menu would have made this less trying.

The girls stories were interesting, but seemed a little brief to me. I would have liked to have seen them fleshed out a little more. There were some things of interest there, but they went by fairly fast. The amount of ending-specific text seemd small compared to the amount of common text, even in the endgame.

I've managed to find 4 of the endings. In general, what was needed made sense in retrospect, although there is a bit of exploration needed to find who's where when. I'm still missing Beth's ending:
I believe her ending has something to do with the girls in the other dorm who talk about drinking on the 4th, and then come in with a hangover on the 5th. But I have no idea how to exploit this.

I also have no idea about the group ending, if it exists.
I think I was a little disoriented on encountering this game, as most games found here are more story-oriented. Once I realized that as much emphasis is on the puzzle aspect of the game as the story (and the two are intertwined, especially in Sophie's case), I began to appreciate it more.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#15 Post by papillon »

Yes, this is definitely not as story-focused as some of the archive games are. It's funny, because in the general shareware world, I'm considered to be a very *heavy* story person, compared to what the average downloadable game has... :) I do tend to try to keep the amount of text between choices low, because I'm used to people with short attention spans who need to DO SOMETHING and get sick of just clicking through text.

Kishi Kawaii has even less story, of course. :) There are "plots" but they're very, very sketchy. You meet, you fall in love, you get married, you live happily ever after, and it only takes a few lines of dialogue to manage it! (If only life were so simple)

[Upcoming Secret Project Which May Not Happen] is intended to have longer story segments broken up by standalone puzzles. You read for a while, then you have to solve a puzzle (on its own screen with its own interface) in order to continue. Puzzles will be skippable on repeat playthroughs. This is to get it to fall into the category of an "adventure game", though it will feature multiple endings and romantic choices will have some factor on it. But again, this is a game that's in planning stages only, and I have a LOT of those.
As the PC mentions, you need to find out about the alcohol *before* the bonfire in order to prevent it from happening.