The Moon in Autumn [Language Learning] [Standard Mandarin] [Fantasy] [Historical]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
stockbridgehouse
Projects: The Moon in Autumn - Chinese Graded Reader
itch: stockbridgehouse

The Moon in Autumn [Language Learning] [Standard Mandarin] [Fantasy] [Historical]

#1 Post by stockbridgehouse »

Download

Hello, I'm a new member and long time follower of these forums. I've used so many of your posts while creating my first VN and there's no way I can go back and find every helpful thread, but just wanted to say thanks for being a great community.

The Moon in Autumn is a visual novel which prepares Standard Mandarin Chinese learners for the third level of the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi language proficiency exam (HSK 3). The language in this visual novel is based on the 2010-2020 version of the HSK. We are still waiting for information about the forthcoming version of the exam.

Graded readers are books which have simplified language levels to help language learners read. This graded reader is in the format of a visual novel, which allows you to make narrative choices along the way.
Story

It’s autumn in old Beijing, and Peking University student Ming Gui is conflicted about spending Mid-Autumn Festival with his family. That night, a mysterious visitor appears in his bedroom and invites him to visit the moon. While making moon cakes and sightseeing around the palace and its gardens, Ming Gui discusses Chinese mythology, poetry, history and cuisine with the rabbit of the moon and the Goddess of the moon. What will Ming Gui learn about hard work, friendship and family?

Features
  • Accelerate your language learning with this graded reader for the HSK 3 exam
  • Vocabulary and scenarios related to exam vocabulary and grammar points
  • Different story lines resulting in two endings will build fluency through reading and re-reading
  • Conversations reflect daily life in China using carefully selected high-frequency vocabulary
  • Hanzi writing quizzes replicate the feel of taking the exam
  • New vocabulary words, grammar and cultural points explained in English and pinyin
  • Lessons about Chinese history, art and culture with over 100 original, hand-drawn images
  • Guessing games explore Chinese symbolism, mythology and idioms
  • Includes travel information about Beijing and Hangzhou and introduces popular dishes
  • Atmospheric and enchanting music by composer Tim Beek
  • Original art based on 1920s/30s Beijing and the Song Dynasty
If there are any lower intermediate Chinese students here I'd really like to hear some feedback about how much gameplay you got out of it. It is possible to just click through, but it would be interesting to find out how long it took you to read the text and grammar points.

Note on tones: I was able to use the tone marks on itch.io, but I had to use the number format (bu4 neng2) for Android.

Download

stockbridgehouse
Projects: The Moon in Autumn - Chinese Graded Reader
itch: stockbridgehouse

Re: The Moon in Autumn [Language Learning] [Standard Mandarin] [Fantasy] [Historical]

#2 Post by stockbridgehouse »

Just wanted to share my experience buying facebook ads for this. It was quite affordable, but didn't result in any downloads but did result in loads of negative comments and abuse accusing myself / the app of being a CCP conspiracy. I had carefully selected the ads to be targeted towards those who have an interest in Chinese language learning, so I'm not sure I would recommend buying facebook ads based on this experience. Perhaps other people have had more luck with other times of games?