Final Week

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

Final Week

#1 Post by thebackup »

I should have posted this earlier, but here it is. Final Week was created several months back as a big art project before my college graduation.

You play as a guy who is a successful college student, but has trouble finding a girlfriend. It's your final week of college before graduation, and all of a sudden, your luck changes. Which girl will you end up with?

Read more/view screenshots/download here: http://pixaelworks.pixaelsoft.com/final_week.php

Note that this was created with time constraints in mind. So if you see stuff like "placeholder event CG" I intended to expand it but never got around to it. And the story might seem kind of rushed so bear with me here :) Let me know what you guys think. Who's ending will you get? Or will you end up lonely? 8)

Edit:
Quickload Patch (fixes a bug where the game crashes if you try to quickload without quicksaving first):
http://pixaelworks.pixaelsoft.com/dl/Fi ... ve_Fix.zip
Last edited by thebackup on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Final Week

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

The art is nice to look at but the emoticons in the dialogue are really distracting... isn't that what the faces to the left are for?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Alex

#3 Post by Alex »

I enjoyed it. The art is pleasant, voices of girls are amusing...)) Mikaela has made me to laugh loudly several times. I have already get the Annas and Mikaelas endings, and I think, it would be difficult to get the Aurelias ending (relations with other girls should be less than 80).

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer

#4 Post by thebackup »

JinzouTamashii wrote:The art is nice to look at but the emoticons in the dialogue are really distracting... isn't that what the faces to the left are for?
Well, the faces are also for identifying as to who's talking... but now that I think about it the VNs I played don't use emoticons but instead use the side images to express emotions.

Man, I write as if I were talking on IMs... I'll keep that in mind for my future VNs. 8)
Alex wrote:I enjoyed it. The art is pleasant, voices of girls are amusing...)) Mikaela has made me to laugh loudly several times. I have already get the Annas and Mikaelas endings, and I think, it would be difficult to get the Aurelias ending (relations with other girls should be less than 80).
Thanks! I have to admit Mikaela's my favorite character out of all the girls. Giving the girls equal screen time was kind of hard, given the time constraints.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebackup
Veteran

#6 Post by thebackup »

mugenjohncel wrote:Err... probably a minor non-critical thingy but you'll get this traceback error once you (accidentally) pressed the quick load without having to quick-save first...

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.
*cut for length*
"POOF" (Disappears)
I could've sworn I debugged that before uploading. :? Anyway, if there's enough demand for it, I might re-release it with a fix. Uploading three 110MB+ files is a pain just to fix that x_x

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

If it's too difficult to host your file on your site, thebackup, you can always look for alternative hosts.

My overall thoughts about Final Week are positive. I went through 3 endings in about two hours, and enjoyed it. Thank you for an amusing, upbeat game.

And now a few pieces of criticism:

1. Are you planning to move on to your next project, rather than replace the placeholder event CG?

2. Have you read the interactive fiction piece One Week? It's a light time management simulation that takes place before a girl's high school graduation. Here's an overview with a download link: http://download.cnet.com/One-Week/3000- ... erviewHead
3. The story takes place somewhere in America in 2009, near an unnamed college. So I was assuming that the Japanese-style school uniforms were just what the artists found easiest, or most appealing, to draw.

But in one ending, one girl says that she feels awkward wearing a school uniform in her daily life. So are we supposed to assume the characters are actually wearing school uniforms?
4. Aurelia grew up somewhere in Europe, right? I can understand her characterization as a prodigal daughter, disobeying her parents for the first time. But she didn't seem much like a transfer student, or a person who grew up outside the community.

5. Are any characters based on people you know in real life? After seeing the credits, I started thinking some of them might be loosely patterned after people you met.

Overall, your story was not too serious or silly. Not too much fanservice IMHO.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

thebackup
Veteran

#8 Post by thebackup »

gekiganwing wrote: My overall thoughts about Final Week are positive. I went through 3 endings in about two hours, and enjoyed it. Thank you for an amusing, upbeat game.
Thanks, glad you found it so. I enjoyed making it.
gekiganwing wrote: 1. Are you planning to move on to your next project, rather than replace the placeholder event CG?
I'm moving to my next project, titled Memoria (see sig). At first I was going to add in Final Week's event CGs after my college grad but decided not to; it was intended to be an experimental VN just to show off to my college peers as to what a VN is. Memoria will have the same characters in it plus a couple new ones; that story will be canon. And I promise, no placeholder CGs. 8)
gekiganwing wrote: 2. Have you read the interactive fiction piece One Week? It's a light time management simulation that takes place before a girl's high school graduation. Here's an overview with a download link: http://download.cnet.com/One-Week/3000- ... erviewHead
Nope, haven't even heard of it. I'll look into it.
gekiganwing wrote:
3. The story takes place somewhere in America in 2009, near an unnamed college. So I was assuming that the Japanese-style school uniforms were just what the artists found easiest, or most appealing, to draw.

But in one ending, one girl says that she feels awkward wearing a school uniform in her daily life. So are we supposed to assume the characters are actually wearing school uniforms?
Yes. I understand if it seems awkward that they wear Japanese-style school uniforms in an American college. I couldn't resist using that uniform (taken from another VN) :lol:
gekiganwing wrote:
4. Aurelia grew up somewhere in Europe, right? I can understand her characterization as a prodigal daughter, disobeying her parents for the first time. But she didn't seem much like a transfer student, or a person who grew up outside the community.
I know what you mean. It's her voice, right? Unfortunately, I didn't have a voice actress available who can give her foreign accents (something like Spanish) to get that feeling; her voice actress was kind of shy.
gekiganwing wrote: 5. Are any characters based on people you know in real life? After seeing the credits, I started thinking some of them might be loosely patterned after people you met.
Yes, Jacob, Mikaela, and Tristina. And obviously Ryne is modeled off of myself.

thebackup
Veteran

#9 Post by thebackup »

Ok, I whipped up a patch that fixes the quickload crash.

Download here: http://pixaelworks.pixaelsoft.com/dl/Fi ... ve_Fix.zip

Simply replace the files in the "game" folder with the ones in the ZIP. This time, the quickload button won't appear if there's no quicksave file.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

Thanks for replying to my long post, thebackup.
Yes. I understand if it seems awkward that they wear Japanese-style school uniforms in an American college. I couldn't resist using that uniform (taken from another VN) :lol:
I figured it was unwise to assume that the characters weren't attending a school which mandated uniforms. Or that all of them were cosplayers. :D

You mentioned in the end credits that the backdrops were from one or two H games. I didn't recognize the names though. Have you played either one?

thebackup
Veteran

#11 Post by thebackup »

gekiganwing wrote:Thanks for replying to my long post, thebackup.

I figured it was unwise to assume that the characters weren't attending a school which mandated uniforms. Or that all of them were cosplayers. :D

You mentioned in the end credits that the backdrops were from one or two H games. I didn't recognize the names though. Have you played either one?
I have, though I barely can read Japanese (I know there's translation tools out there, but still); it's interesting to see how they put together their VNs, though. Their character art is among the best IMO.

Check out Natsumegu (game where I got the BGs): http://vndb.org/v897
Their site: http://cotton-soft.com/ (their front page is SFW, but the event CG pages are NSFW)
If you haven't noticed after clicking the links, that's where I "stole" their school uniforms for Final Week. :lol:

Sanehouse

#12 Post by Sanehouse »

I just finished this one. It's wonderful.
I finished with Mikaela at 80/130, but I didn't realize until the end that each of the girls have their own "love meter". I might go back and see if I can get a different ending for each girl.

Ah, I also liked Mikaela's voice acting the best. That Ryne also had a pretty good voice, too. ;)

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#13 Post by VenusEclipse »

The my space part was quite funny. :) Naruto in the background and the ads.
Overall I had fun and enjoyed the humor. :)

thebackup
Veteran

#14 Post by thebackup »

Sanehouse wrote:I just finished this one. It's wonderful.
I finished with Mikaela at 80/130, but I didn't realize until the end that each of the girls have their own "love meter". I might go back and see if I can get a different ending for each girl.

Ah, I also liked Mikaela's voice acting the best. That Ryne also had a pretty good voice, too. ;)
You don't hear Ryne's voice in the game (the only unvoiced character). :P
Sioraf wrote:After quite a while of very little happening here this was a breath of fresh air. Best of all was the love metres making it nice and easy to track one's relations.
Thanks, glad you found it so. 8)
VenusRose wrote:
The my space part was quite funny. :) Naruto in the background and the ads.
Overall I had fun and enjoyed the humor. :)
That's pretty much my feelings of MySpace, I just had to throw it in. :lol:
And glad you enjoyed it. :D

Taroku
Regular
Projects: Eh? Get off my back!

#15 Post by Taroku »

Sioraf wrote:After quite a while of very little happening here this was a breath of fresh air. Best of all was the love metres making it nice and easy to track one's relations.
Wait, that was a love meter? o_o
|| DA Page || twitter || Taroku ||

Checking... Nope, still a wannabe.