Metropolitan Blues - Released

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dre
Regular

#31 Post by Dre »

Just got a play of this and I really liked it. The story kept me interested and the ghost references were pretty on key! I got ending 2 for my first run and was a happy camper for it! Great game!

Icekiss
Regular

#32 Post by Icekiss »

Sorry to come in again once again with a technical problem.
I just got ending 6 (got one other beforehand), and the game crashes for me in the ending sequence:
Pygame Parachute Traceback:
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/Metropolitan Blues/renpy/display/core.py", line 702, in event_wait
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
File "run_game.py", line 69, in main
Abgebrochen
PS: I did set up timidity correctly, so I am playing with sound.
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/

clubanimon
Regular

#33 Post by clubanimon »

;___; man so far i've only found one 'happy' ending ...

and that path that ends in double banishent is mean! mean i say!!

the games great so far, i think i've gotten around 6 endings.
The music is lovely and sets the mood for everything, I creidit it with putting me enough into the storyto get me tear up.

A very deep story and a rather cyncal look at human existance.

I'm still looking for those omakes >.<

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#34 Post by Taleweaver »

Ending 8 (which contains the omake) IS a little tough to find, but definitely possible if you understand how the game works. Keep trying, keep thinking and you'll make it and see what it REALLY is about :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I must've sat there for about an hour trying to systematically iterate through all the possibilites before I found the true ending >_<;;; By that time I was too worn out to really enjoy/understand it T_T. I mean, I understood and everything, but not as much as I probably would have had I not skipped past the parts I had already read.
I liked the game quite a bit. Really nice job-

One question though- why is the typewriter background not always a filtered image? (I'll feel really dumb if it was something really obvious that I missed O_o)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#36 Post by Taleweaver »

The typewriter background is NEVER a filtered image as the room with the typewriter is the most central and most essential place in the game. In a sense, it's much more "real" than all the other places. You should understand the importance if you've seen ending 8.
More about me in my blog

Gavotte
Location: In a chair... by my computer... with my sketchbook...

#37 Post by Gavotte »

Heh, i'm new here but I just finished this game the other day. i'll have to say, it... is... AWESOME!
i've nearly found all 8 endings but i'm having trouble on ending 3...

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#38 Post by Taleweaver »

Ending 3? You have _troubles_ with a Normal Ending? Do the same thing you did for Ending 2, only make a different choice during your second decision :)
More about me in my blog

bookie
Veteran

#39 Post by bookie »

I got ending 1 the first time around T_T and I couldn't figure out exactly what I did to get it, because MB is such a different game compared to games where choices make a more direct - or obvious rather - effect on the storyline. But after I played through a few times I got to understand the concept of the game and it became much more enjoyable. I've only gotten one good ending though. The rest were all depressing, and I keep getting banished over and over again. XD

I don't like systematically playing renai games, because I think it ruins the fun of experiencing the story and letting the choices you make have real weight, so I probably won't play past the three or four endings I managed to get. However, I think this was still a great game to play, because it was one of those things were the journey was more fun than the destination. I liked the story and dialogue a lot, as well as all the other production aspects, direction, art, music, etc... It was a little depressing, but not that much so.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

TaleWeaver wrote:The typewriter background is NEVER a filtered image as the room with the typewriter is the most central and most essential place in the game. In a sense, it's much more "real" than all the other places. You should understand the importance if you've seen ending 8.
Oh really? I swore that my first time through I saw it as a filtered image that then transitioned to an unfiltered image... Could be wrong though- it was a while ago...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#41 Post by rioka »

Yes, that happens for the first time you see the typewriter background. After that, it doesn't happen again.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#42 Post by mikey »

ShiraiJunichi wrote: Oh really? I swore that my first time through I saw it as a filtered image that then transitioned to an unfiltered image... Could be wrong though- it was a while ago...
This is why I asked about the image in the first place. It's confusing at first but with time it makes more and more sense. Perhaps if that filtered image would stay there for just a touch longer, that would feel more intentional.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#43 Post by Taleweaver »

As the "director" of MetBlues, Kikered will be happy to hear there's actually constructive criticism of his work. It's the first time he had to do this work, y'know.
More about me in my blog

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#44 Post by mikey »

And so far, that's the only point anyone has had. It's a job more than well done. But you know what? MB would perhaps not be MB without this thing. You said yourself you liked it more than the original typewriter-only proposal, so it makes sense. And there'll always be people who will dislike this or that. Bottom line?
------------------------------------------------------------
No, not this one. It's I think that you (team) should be happy with it. I am always reminded again and again how the suits spoil all the fun in game making. It's an industry. And, getting off topic. :?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#45 Post by Taleweaver »

Speaking of fun, while I'm currently in Frankfurt working and having only little time to think about what to do in my spare time, I really think it was a good decision to give the entire directing into the hands of someone else. Foxtaile has actual stage directions, but I think I'll give EsperKnight the lease to not care about them if he feels something else works better. After all, I'm a writer and not necessarily good with graphics. I have images in my head when I'm writing, but bringing these onscreen would require both the teams of Industrial Light and Magic and WETA. ^_^
More about me in my blog