A tale of other worlds and demons (otome) (fantasy) (free))

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
_LadyBex_
itch: ladybex

A tale of other worlds and demons (otome) (fantasy) (free))

#1 Post by _LadyBex_ »

A tale of other world and demons is a free fantasy, otome visual novel with some Sci-Fi elements.

https://ladybex.itch.io/a-tale-of-other ... and-demons

Starting in a medieval setting where knowledge about different worlds isn't uncommon the heroine, Faery, a future countess to be, meets Astrifer, a scientist from another world. Despite some minor obstacles and complaints from her recently appointed guard Gawain her dream of travelling different worlds is fullfiled. During travels they meet a new companion, Leon, a kind stranger from a modern world who easily accepts the concept of other worlds. Soon she comes to realize that travelling isn't just all fun and games and along the way she realizes the true nature of her world and uncovers hidden facts about herself...

Main characters

Faery(heroine)

future countess to be from a medieval-like world
20 years old
loves strange things
Short backstory(contains game spoilers!): https://www.wattpad.com/story/207329708 ... hort-story

Astrifer

scientist from a steampunk world, inventor of a machine that grants acces to different worlds
27 years old
science is his life
Short backstory(contains game spoilers!): https://www.wattpad.com/story/199071053 ... hort-story

Gawain

royal knight from Faery's world, passionate about his job
22 years old
wears his heart on his sleeve
Short backstory(contains game spoilers!): https://www.wattpad.com/story/202186843 ... hort-story

Leon

judge from a modern world, very kind
30 years old
otaku

Game features:

Heroine's name can be changed

A bit more than 30,000 words

3 unique routes

The game will has 13 endings

Team:

LadyBex - story and programming

Delirijumbaklave - art and editing

Music: Royalty free music used listed in the about section of the game.

This is our first project Visual Novel project ever, comments and constructive criticism are very welcome.

LilyInTheWater

Re: A tale of other worlds and demons (otome) (fantasy) (free))

#2 Post by LilyInTheWater »

Number one: LOVE the concept. The concept is amazing and I love it and also Astrifer immediately grabbed my heart and affection in rapid time because I love mad scientist types and there aren't a lot of them in dating sims. Gawain being a secret masochist was something I didn't expect but was hilarious and kind of cute about him. (But I couldn't figure out how to get his good end @_@ which is a shame) I'm excited to see what you guys will make in the future if this is what you start with.

Your font choice for the dialogue hurts my eyes, and also having the princess chew out Gawain while the MC is narrating about how angry she looks when she has a smiling face on her sprite is weird in a way I'm not sure is intentional? If it's a part of her character to not be very expressive when expressing negative emotions because it's something she's been taught to do as a royal, it isn't very clear here. Maybe the MC knows her better than most and is able to tell when she's angry because she's the MC's cousin and so could Gawain because he's her knight? I dunno. It feels like a weird choice. I know you had limited spritework done on her but it's still bizarre to experience.

I kinda found Lucius's interest in the MC incredibly uncomfortable because he was the MC's literal cousin considering he is Hestia's brother which also makes him the mc's cousin too and I don't know if you intended it that way? I know he was obviously meant to come off as unsettling and creepy but I think it was super squicky and gross in a way I'm not sure was intended? (Please do not take this as me saying the VN sucks because of this reason or that I'm saying every single person who worked on this is a bad person because of this, this is just my opinion. But I found the villain scenes offputting for this reason and just wanted to skip past them to the point of not paying attention to them, which to me seems like a detriment and not something an author would intend.) Lucius mentions that the king is not his real father in Leon's route but I only got the normal ending in Leon's route so I'm not sure what the deal with that is, it was still kind of squicky overall because we're led to believe for most of the story that he is related to the MC.

I really did enjoy the VN and I played it for a lot longer than I expected to do, which I think is an example of the VN's strength in a way. Everyone's route is different and reveals something different to the reader about what's going on, which I think is a strong point the VN has going for it. I'm gonna play more of it and try to get all of the endings if I can but still. Very good first VN and am excited to see more!

_LadyBex_
itch: ladybex

Re: A tale of other worlds and demons (otome) (fantasy) (free))

#3 Post by _LadyBex_ »

Thank you very much for playing the game and I am glad to hear that overall you liked it :) Your critique is welcomed and appreciated.

Sorry for such a late reply, I didn't get a notification that there was a reply on my post and I just saw it now.
LilyInTheWater wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:42 am (But I couldn't figure out how to get his good end @_@ which is a shame)
If you want to get Gawain's happy ending these are the choices :
well as long..., you're making...I just met...I look away....Confront Astrifer and Gawain...Gawain...Don't get provoked...He seems to have a good heart...say a quiet thank you
The font was chosen because we thought it'd pretty and different, but I am sorry that it hurt your eyes. In the next project we'll use a different font. We were planning for each project to have its own unique font.

As for Hestia, we were limited with only one sprite of her and since she was a royal princess she was meant not to be very expressive, although she seemed to blow off a lot of steam both Faery and Gawain weren't afraid because they know she is a very kind person who doesn't like harming others.

Lucius character was meant to be a villain without a chance of redemption in the current story because he himself doesn't see any errors in his ways. For him to get a redemption arc he'd have to have an entirely new, complex and different story based around him. The story is a mix of different timelines/world and the setting from which Faery and Lucius came is a medieval like one and in those time incest relationships between nobles were common and weren't frowned upon. In reality I am highly against those types of relationships but people in Faery's and Lucius's world wouldn't see it as a problem. Faery does not share any romantic feelings for Lucius and he can't accept that which raised a lot of problems.

His character portrayal is that of an evil a yandere and one of the reason he has an obsession's with Faery is
her half demon blood different from his which is rare in their world
Our next VN will probably be entirely different but we'd love you to try it out and give us your opinions again once it is all done :D