Triangle Of Death

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DarkClaymore
Regular
Completed: Marriage Contract, Black Nirvana
Projects: God Vessel Online

Triangle Of Death

#1 Post by DarkClaymore »

You could say it is some kind of a "test game".
I just wanted to get used to Ren'Py ("feel the program"), so I made a short game :)
It has, though, 6 endings and I really don't know how it ended up this way :shock:
5 regular endings and one extra ending which must be unlocked (which IMO is the most interesting one).

Plot: One day from Yuji's (Yuji = main character :roll: ) life.
Depending on the player's choices, this day may end in tragedy... or worse.

Windows: http://www.sendspace.com/file/58o7qt
Mac : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=495FDPE0
Linux: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VD9IA65M
Last edited by DarkClaymore on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.

A Terrible Rabbit
Regular
Projects: Kyuuketsuki BonBon

Re: Triangle Of Death

#2 Post by A Terrible Rabbit »

I'd really like to play. :3 upload the mac version when you can, please. :D

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#3 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Seconded for Mac.
Live Life Heroically

DarkClaymore
Regular

#4 Post by DarkClaymore »

I uploaded the other versions as well.
I hope you'll enjoy it :D

Catoni15

#5 Post by Catoni15 »

I just played your game and I thought it was nice. Quite fun to play. ^^

The story was an interesting one--really liked the premise. It was pretty simple but that makes it enjoyable.

Some spoiler filled thoughts/observations (writing them down as I remember them):
Ending 6 is labeled wrong. The "Conclusion" ending is labeled as "Ending 5" instead of as "Ending 6". That confused me at first because I was aiming to get all of the endings (which I did, by the way~!) and thought I was missing one. >>; Thought you'd like to know this.

Rima being a bit crazy and prone to violence (if pushed that way) seemed oddly fitting using Illya's sprite. Haha.

During the scene where you talk to Yuka during Sports class and she says she sees the teacher and runs off I was half expecting Taiga's sprite (in the "dojo" outfit from the 'Taiga Dojo' sequences of "Fate/Stay Night") to come popping up among them with an angry RAWR face. But, sadly, this did not happen. Oh, well. XPP

Kotomine as Yuka's father was oddly fitting, too. Though I still find it difficult to see him that way. XD

Caster as your friendly neighborhood fortune teller? That made me laugh. Haha. But, again, still fitting.

I had a bit of trouble getting the last three endings. It was ridiculously simple once I figured out what I had to do (jeez, I mean, even the fortune teller lady hints at it big time!). But I'm just stupid, I guess. Go me.

I wasn't fond of the music with words in the ending where you go to Yuka's party and get the "Fate" ending. I mean, it was winding down to a close so music like that--which sounds almost like a theme anyway (probably is, considering these songs come from somewhere, as you've credited them)--but it still felt a little out of place to me. Oddly enough it didn't feel out of place when I got the "Conclusion" ending with Nagato going into his little monologue about fate and the fortune teller, etc, etc. Probably because that ending felt a little more...appropriate for the music? I'm not sure. Maybe it was because everything felt like it really wrapped up nicely. I dunno.

The music in the opening really threw me off. It kind of makes me expect something magically epic. I mean, I know there's fortune telling involved and we get statements about fate and stuff, but...I don't know. It's like when Yuji kept saying how Rima wasn't 'normal' I kept thinking that she might have some really screwed up power that made him hate/fear her for some reason. Like something pretty bad. It just turned out she had slightly violent tendencies from feeling abandoned and getting beat on at that nasty school.

Oh, and one last thing. I was also a bit confused at first because I didn't realize that we weren't looking through Yuji's eyes. We were actually looking at him the whole time. I wasn't sure about this at first but then it kind of grew on me, especially considering we got to hear the thoughts and asides of other characters we wouldn't have gotten to had we been seeing the story strictly from Yuji's POV. So, I say: Nice one! ^__^
That's it for stuff of potentially the secret spoiling nature, I guess.

Oh, and I noticed quite a bit of typos. I'm not gonna list them because I can't exactly remember where they all were. They're there somewhere.

Anyway, nice game. I really enjoyed it! ^__^
The A² Review - reviewing amateur animated works

DarkClaymore
Regular

#6 Post by DarkClaymore »

Thanks for the replay! Glad you liked it!

About the ending 5 and 6, I was doing "copy paste" to each ending's name (I was too lazy to write it again myself), so it looks like I forgot to change the number... (Can't believe I didn't notice it!!!!!!) :shock:
Thanks for informing me about it! :D

About the music, I agree it doesn't fit in a few places. But I kind of limited myself to using only soundtracks which I use when I read Manga, so I didn't have that much variety :roll:

About typos. That's what happens when you work alone and there is no one who can double check what you wrote... And that's always happens to me... So I am used to it... :|

Guess I'll fix the game even though it is a "test" game. I am sure in real projects I'll have to fix the game after the release and it's annoying, so I may as well start practicing now.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#7 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Ran through the game this morning.
It was pretty interesting.
I liked the story,
the idea that you used these concepts like day of the beast and triangle of death to explain the dire events.
It took me a little bit to figure out just what to do to get all the endings, but I got them all.

I think that your writing has good potential,
and you are obviously creative enough to have made the whole game.
My suggestion is to find a critique partner to check things like spelling and plot consistency.

I agree that the last three endings were really hard to get.
I even started mapping choices to figure out just where I was going wrong,
and the choice that led me to the other endings wasn't very obvious in my opinion.

I also think that the lyric songs used in endings 4 and 6 were a poor choice,
because the lyrics were quite distracting to me.
It may just be because I recognized the music,
but I think that it was more that it had lyrics than that I recognized it.
Maybe find some instrumental songs that match the tone and substitute?

I think that the perspective problem is mainly because of the first line,
because it's Yuji's thoughts,
we try to ground ourselves in him from the onset.
When he came on the screen,
I was confused as to who he actually was at first until I realized he was the main character.
I thought he was a brother at first, XD.
But I actually like more that the main character can be seen and has personality,
as opposed to if he were only the viewpoint perspective.
Live Life Heroically

DarkClaymore
Regular

#8 Post by DarkClaymore »

I am kind of amazed that I get positive replies about this game. Probably because it is the only game I ever made which got positive replies...

I finally had some free time, so I fixed a few things in the game (such as the number of the sixth ending and some BGMs) and uploaded it again.