Gakuen Redux

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cazel
Regular

#31 Post by Cazel »

Well, I finally got around to playing Gakuen Redux, and I came away with definite mixed feelings. The game was very good and really made me think about what I might do in a situation like that. I also loved G-Type, because it worked for me. Unfortunately, over the course of F-Type I stopped being able to relate to Azasuke. When I play a renai game, I tend to fall into the role of the protagonist, at least in terms of putting myself in their situation, so I loved the redux element of the game. But I just couldn't relate to Azasuke's disconnect problems and his apparent inability to accept that he was now truly a high school student again. Also, given that I haven't grown an inch or gained a pound since the end of my freshman year of high school, I really had a hard time accepting Azasuke's views on physical maturity. That aside, I still enjoyed watching the events of F-Type unfold. When it got to R-Type, well, I admit I mostly lost interest. It was quite clear to me where the story was going to go, and that I wasn't going to like the ending.
The weirdness of the teacher/student thing aside, Ione as heroine didn't work for me at all. I never like older women characters, and Ione was older than Azasuke even in terms of his mental age, so I just couldn't relate.
I just found myself continuing to read just to see how things would play out but without any involvement in the story.

As a side note, I found Azasuke's behavior and ease with which he achieved superiority at his school to be thoroughly unrealistic and distracting. I'm sorry, but there is just no way that a guy who comes across as essentially a loser in the moments we see of his pre-redux life would possess the full range of abilities he claims to have picked up in the ten years after high school, particularly in attracting girls. Especially since we see with his reactions and hesitations that emotionally he hasn't exactly matured much since the first time.

My response seems pretty negative, but I suppose that is in large part because of my dislike for R-Type. Had I written something after G-Type it would have been very positive. I really wondered what was going to happen next. As to the length, I set the game on auto with a setting of 8, so it took however long that would take. Around 7 hours, I think, when you throw in short breaks to grab food or whatever.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#32 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, I'm sorry of course, but then again it's normal that something as specific and inflexible as GR won't work for everyone, especially if R-Type won't really fit. I suppose I could go on explaining why etc, but that's not the point - I won't even mind that people don't find it realistic when the overall effect will result in the one I aimed for. Nevertheless, if it got you thinking what-if, then at least one of its goals has been achieved.

V2Blast

Very well-made

#33 Post by V2Blast »

This game is very well-made. I'm not from Japan, but the game still appealed to me. I didn't really mind the inconsistencies in grammar. The music in the game was very good. It added to the overall appeal. The story, although very long, was also very good. You should make another game like this one. Keep up the good work.

#34 Post by Guest »

However, I agree with what Cazel said, in that the ending was a bit unexpected (and unrealistic), and that the superiority he had over his classmates was also a bit unrealistic. But then again, here in America, everyone tends to ignore the smart ones. But nevertheless, a good novel.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#35 Post by mikey »

Thanks again for playing and posting opinions.

Regarding the superiority, this may have something to do with the environment. I know that kids in America tend to grow up much sooner, while here they will be relatively dependent for a much longer time. I suppose it's shifting here as well, from what I can see and most of the high schoolers can reasonably take care of themselves now. I remember though in my times we could be kids up to our 18th year easily, basically knowing nothing about living on our own or having part time jobs. It works both ways. I can see it's a great advantage to be able to (within limits) make your own decisions and take responsibility as early as 14-15 or so, working and going out, but then again, some of the childishness of your childhood may be gone sooner than necessary, as will be a lot of the truly carefree life. GR sort of takes place in this kind of environment, where there's a really big difference in confidence, attitude and responsibility between an adult and a high schooler, not only because of how the families work(ed), but also how you are treated at school - a lot more authority, guidance, zero creativity etc... Given that situation, there would have been a really noticeable difference between an adult and a 16-year old. I tried to explain a bit about how the society of GR worked in the FAQ included, but as I said in the beginning, the English-speaking players won't necessarily be the intended audience. That was my dilemma, but I went for an English version because I thought that the tradeoff was worth it. If you read the very first sentence of this whole discussion, it says just that. From all the people that have been through the same school system that GR is based on, none thought it was unrealistic (they mostly found the Japanese names confusing and some weren't happy with my careless attitude towards that repeated time events were different or exactly the same for no particular reason). In the end, I tried to make it work for everyone, but the project's soul isn't entirely English. It's been its problem perhaps ever since I started it.

Avarice

Wow....

#36 Post by Avarice »

I loved your story as you presented it. Good concept and pacing. The only thing I found myself annoyed by was the grammar, but I was very quick to get over it. The ending was also moving, to say the least.

The character art was okay and it worked for this novel. :) I'm showing this one to my friends!

Ayato Vu

#37 Post by Ayato Vu »

Where did u get the music? I got some of the songs off the program, but i can't put it on my pocket player (Mp3 player)
Please tell me!!! I love these songs!!!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by mikey »

The soundtrack was done specifically for GR, all tracks composed by EVO. You can't download them from anywhere.

All the files are in OGG format, you'd need to get a converter - OGG to MP3 or so. But the tracks are really low quality, because we wanted to keep it under 20 MB, sorry :(

I do have the original versions, which are High-Qual, but they would add up to something like 80MB or so... and even though I was thinking about releasing the GR OST (in MP3), because in fact I get some requests here and there, I won't be able to permanently host it on my site (mostly due to the fact that the OST isn't really anime content).

If people are *really* interested though, I'd be willing to try to do it, at the very least find a temporary storage on megaupload or yousendit, or whatever they are all called. :? Or try to work out something with EVO... So actually, if anyone else would seriously like the OST in high quality, then please write here and maybe we'll find a way. Thanks.

Ayato Vu

#39 Post by Ayato Vu »

Who ever wants to get the OST put ur hands in the air!!!!

*Cocks Striker Shotgun, and points at everyone, who raises their hands*

See Mikey! alot of people do want the songs!
://: Baka Ayato off//

Is there anyway for you to send some songs? Like through AIM or something? I really do LOVE these songs, I mean i take like an hour just on one scene just cuz the music is bomb! The songs i would really like would be the ones i found to be u_happier , U_indecisive , U_sun , and u_flow. Thats mainly it... And if you can't do that, can u point me to a converter? (Would the converter lower the qual?)

Many Thanks! ^.^

Ayato Vu
Regular

#40 Post by Ayato Vu »

Sorry for double posting, but I also wanted to know your website, and Evo's too if you may tell me.

Thanks again! ^.^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#41 Post by mikey »

My site is http://atp.manga.sk
EVO is (or are, rather) currently redesigning his (or their) site, http://www.renesis.sk , you can try to check back some day.

Anyway, I do have almost all of the songs in at least 192kbps mp3's, so the quality is rather good. If you can hold until the end of the week, I'm going to put it together and I'll PM you then with the link. It will be more than 100MB, I'm estimating 110MB. :(

That's the plan. Hopefully it works.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#42 Post by Watercolorheart »

Ah, your game was the one that taught me the meaning of "kinetic novel." By the time I had invested 14 hours into it and reached the ending, I realized rather belatedly that there wasn't going to be any plot branching.

Heh.

Previously, every time of visual novel I had played had multiple choice, so I was understandably confused.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by mikey »

Sorry about that. I did state in the readme that it is a "digital illustrated book" that is referred to as a game, and on the official page it said 1path/1ending (now it says "single path"), but I suppose calling it "game" is probably the thing that usually starts the confusion. :?

Ayato Vu
Regular

#44 Post by Ayato Vu »

I love you!~~ :D
*jumps on back, then does V-sign*

Thank you soooo much man!!!!!!!!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by mikey »

Ayato Vu>> The OST is now online, 93 MB.
Hope you can download it.
Enjoy.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18424640/Gak ... T.zip.html