Memo [1.03]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Santander02

Re: Memo [1.03]

#31 Post by Santander02 »

Catoni15 wrote: I just got done playing through this (and getting all the endings, too!). I haven't played enough VN's to really know, but I suppose I could go with the people saying that the story seems done already, or that it's really familiar. I've seen it in other mediums, certainly, but as far as VN's go I think I'll have to take their words for it. Or play through more. Whichever. XP

The art is *gorgeous*! It is, hands down, the best part of the VN. It has a very "painter" feel of coloring and was very nice to see. As I played I could seriously appreciate the little details here and there, like the shading of their bows, the coloring of the eyes, etc. A treat to look at. =)

Here are my thoughts on the characters:

*Snip*
Hey I've just finish playing trough the whole novel and I just want to comment that I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I am not too good at making critiques but in this case I can just point to your post and say "pretty much all that" :P But as a smal comment:
My favorite ending was the second one, I found the way how we get to know a little more of the "joke character" and show that he is also a human being with feelings once Seji tries to help him out a little to be really interesting, even if it doesnt end all that well for Seji himself (although like Catony said, even though Lizy wasn't my favorite character, the "happy" endings didn't fell too fulfilling eithier),

It's a shame the story stopped at that point, in fact in most endings it does feel like the story is still going on and the ending comes out of nowhere, or it might just be because I liked this novel and I didnt want it to end so soon :wink:

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#32 Post by Wintermoon »

Catoni15 wrote:
Wintermoon wrote:
What would be the point of that, exactly? She wants the Seji from her childhood who would never forget her. She finds out that that Seji doesn't exist and never existed. She's feeling betrayed, she's feeling stupid for ever trusting Seji, and confessing to Seji that he managed to hurt her is probably the last thing she wants to do.
The point? To not let it fester. Yeah, she feels hurt and it's crappy. But what's the point of letting it linger like that?
Bringing up some event from a past that Seji doesn't even remember won't restore a relationship that has been dead for years, nor will it end the animosity between the present Seji and Liz, nor will it even make Liz feel better. Liz is trying to move forward by forgetting about the past and focusing on the present. Talking about the past would be counterproductive.
Catoni15 wrote:
Wintermoon wrote:
You forgot the picture book incident.
I didn't actually. I realize that I mis-typed. XD
The way I have it up there made it sound like the time where she mocks him about needing a map is where it starts to justify Seji's picking on her. I meant the point where she hassles him in class about him in his seat. My bad. Hehe.
And, as the events played out, the picture book comment came after the harassing in the class. So, yeah...
There is a significant difference in intention between those events. Liz snaps at Seji because she is in a bad mood and Seji is blocking her line of sight. Seji picks on Liz deliberately to get a rise from her. Liz wants Seji to stay away from her so that she can move on. Seji escalates the animosity because he enjoys it on some level. Both are immature in how they're dealing with the situation, but Liz comes across as merely irritated and defensive while Seji comes across as petty and vengeful.

Catoni15

#33 Post by Catoni15 »

Wintermoon wrote:
Liz is trying to move forward by forgetting about the past and focusing on the present. Talking about the past would be counterproductive.
I don't agree with this. I'm convinced that Liz wanted to meet Seji on the roof to possibly talk to him about the past. Or to talk to him about something, anyway. Her trying to forget the past and move on would be to step back and leave Seji alone, period. But she doesn't. She is, after all, the one that arranged for that meeting in the first place.

If she just wanted to move on then why bother doing that at all?

And talking about the past would certainly not be counter productive. It would be painful, of course. A lot of things can be. That doesn't mean that nothing would come out of it.

Wintermoon wrote:
There is a significant difference in intention between those events. Liz snaps at Seji because she is in a bad mood and Seji is blocking her line of sight. Seji picks on Liz deliberately to get a rise from her. Liz wants Seji to stay away from her so that she can move on. Seji escalates the animosity because he enjoys it on some level. Both are immature in how they're dealing with the situation, but Liz comes across as merely irritated and defensive while Seji comes across as petty and vengeful.
She was likely in a bad mood because she wanted to talk to Seji about something and Kousuke interrupted. That guy puts her in a bad mood by just breathing the same air she does. And just because Kousuke interrupted them doesn't mean that it's Seji's fault. Seji even tried to ignore him and focus on Liz to try and get the conversation going. Kousuke just ruined the whole thing.

Again, why would she have asked to meet him on the roof if she just wanted to move on, hm?

Yeah, I get that Seji was blocking her line of view in class but he actually does try to move out of her way. It just didn't matter where he moved--she wasn't going to be happy. Again, not Seji's fault that she can't be pleased no matter what he does.
Seji petty and vengeful? Petty? Fine, I can agree with that. But I don't agree with him being vengeful. Maybe closer to near the end or the middle of the story (like when he asks for Liz with a side of whatever it was in the cafe). But, really, what's the point of trying to be nice when Liz doesn't give a damn for him trying to be polite? If he's going to suffer he might as well get enjoyment out of it. She asked for it.

I agree with you that they're not going to get the same old thing they had. Not gonna happen. But that doesn't mean something new can't come out of it. It could serve as a base for something else. And if Liz REALLY wanted Seji away from her? Then she wouldn't antagonize him so much. They happen to live across from each other. They ride the same bus. Instances like that aren't his fault and if they bump into each other then, again, not his fault.

I DO blame Seji for spying on Liz while she was changing. But, hey, wanna talk about being petty? She turns around makes him her minion/slave/pet for a day. She could've just called the cops in him. THAT, if nothing else, would have gotten him off her case, I'm sure. XP
The A² Review - reviewing amateur animated works

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Wintermoon »

Catoni15 wrote:
I don't agree with this. I'm convinced that Liz wanted to meet Seji on the roof to possibly talk to him about the past. Or to talk to him about something, anyway. Her trying to forget the past and move on would be to step back and leave Seji alone, period. But she doesn't. She is, after all, the one that arranged for that meeting in the first place.
She calls him up to the roof to let Seji know who she is. She tells Seji her name. Seji still doesn't recognize her. That's the point where she gives up on Seji.
Catoni15 wrote:
She was likely in a bad mood because she wanted to talk to Seji about something and Kousuke interrupted. That guy puts her in a bad mood by just breathing the same air she does. And just because Kousuke interrupted them doesn't mean that it's Seji's fault. Seji even tried to ignore him and focus on Liz to try and get the conversation going. Kousuke just ruined the whole thing.
Kousuke certainly didn't help, but the way I see it, she is primarily in a bad mood because Seji didn't even recognize her name.
Catoni15 wrote:
Seji petty and vengeful? Petty? Fine, I can agree with that. But I don't agree with him being vengeful.
So why did Seji pick on Liz for reading a picture book? Either it's retaliation for Liz being rude to him earlier, which is vengeful, or he's just a jerk, which is worse.

Maybe "vengeful" is too strong a term, but you get the idea.
Catoni15 wrote:
I agree with you that they're not going to get the same old thing they had. Not gonna happen. But that doesn't mean something new can't come out of it. It could serve as a base for something else. And if Liz REALLY wanted Seji away from her? Then she wouldn't antagonize him so much.
Being rude to someone you don't like in the hope that this will cause them to go away is perfectly normal human behavior. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the cases of Seji and Kousuke, it didn't work.

Actually I think Liz had mixed feeling toward Seji, but I also think she was deliberately pushing Seji away. She just wasn't emotionally ready to deal with a Seji who forgotten about her until the end of the story.
Last edited by Wintermoon on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catoni15

#35 Post by Catoni15 »

Wintermoon wrote:
She calls him up to the roof to let Seji know who she is. She tells Seji her name. Seji still doesn't recognize her. That's the point where she gives up on Seji.

This isn't really true, but that's depending on which path you end up. If you end up on the one where Liz makes Seji her "minion" then the name thing was more a point of discouragement rather than giving up. The whole festival thing seemed like another stab at it.

But Kousuke was still terribly distracting at the meeting on the roof. That guy doesn't like being ignored and he was making sure Seji and Liz weren't going to do that. Should that name have rang a bell? Sure it should've. Her face should've rang a bell since images tend to be stronger than words (like names). But Seiji just seems to suffer from bad memory. This also makes me wonder a couple of things about their friendship in the first place:

1) How long were Seji and Liz really friends, anyway? Was that the first town he lived in and that's when the moves started? Was Liz is first childhood friend?

2) How old were they, exactly? We don't know how old they were then so the best we can do is speculate. Has anything happened to Seji during his moves? Or to Liz, for that matter, to affect them? I think the biggest thing going on here is that we're left with so little details that could help us straighten things out. I get that some things being left vague can be fine, but it doesn't seem fine here. It just seems to cause problems!

Wintermoon wrote:
Kousuke certainly didn't help, but the way I see it, she is primarily in a bad mood because Seji didn't even recognize her name.
I get that. Still, talking about it more would have helped. Communication goes a long way, regardless of how painful the process may be! Remember, by the end, when Seji finally DOES remember her, he seems genuinely sorry for forgetting and tries his best to make amends despite Liz still fighting him (like in a path where she tries to run off but he grabs her arm and pulls her back, insistent on talking about it). That there shows the effort he's trying to put into it, to making amends. Can't deny that now, can you? Besides, in the best ending, he insists on starting over by asking Liz how she's been and stuff (even though she gets annoyed by the change of subject--playful annoyance here, perhaps?). But it seems like they're going to be all right by then. Which only seems to make my point: if she had tried to jar his memory better than they could've, likely, reached that end sooner.
Wintermoon wrote:
So why did Seji pick on Liz for reading a picture book? Either it's retaliation for Liz being rude to him earlier, which is vengeful, or he's just a jerk, which is worse.

Maybe "vengeful" is too strong a term, but you get the idea.
Yeah, you got me there. That *was* vengeful, huh? Ha. Well, like I said, she asked for it.
Wintermoon wrote:
Being rude to someone you don't like in the hope that this will cause them to go away is perfectly normal human behavior. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the cases of Seji and Kousuke, it didn't work.

Understandable. She just took it too far a lot of the time.
We could probably keep doing this all day but I think it comes down to this: we're just gonna seem to agree to disagree. You have valid points, I do, too, but whoever we root for or support just seems more a matter of personal taste. You relate better to Liz's feelings and I relate better to Seji's. XP
The A² Review - reviewing amateur animated works

Toni
Projects: The 25th Hour

#36 Post by Toni »

Well, I finished the game and I thought it was great! But not AMAZING. I think the primary issue is that it kind of forces the player to end the game with some sort of interaction with Liz. She either hates you or likes you. There's a ton of potential to create a new path with Kazumi and there's already some of that going on with the
scene where she falls on top of Seiji in the STUCO room.
There's also a small typo with "alittle" but that doesn't detract too much from the VN.

Bottom Line: I loved it. It has so much room to grow if you ever decide to update/revamp it!

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#37 Post by curry nochi rice »

this is a good game....i like the art and the BG's and the Event Cg's...

i like kazumi over liz but.
Is kazumi a double agent or something...i sense ktonoha and Sekai combined in one in her personality.
and
is Liz a tsundere??? a find a little Asa (shuffle) in her too
i got ending 6, 4 and 1
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

WiseSilent

#38 Post by WiseSilent »

Ending 1, 5 & 6...I very unlucky.
Ending 4...^_^
Too much punching sounds sounded super violent.
ISTJ English Editor

justinefremlouw

#39 Post by justinefremlouw »

Does anyone have a walkthrough?

Esphirisa
Regular

#40 Post by Esphirisa »

Managed to get all the endings, but I have to say that in some of them, there's only slight variations. The graphics is awesome. I like how some backgrounds have the "morning" version and the "evening" one. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would (because it didn't really seem like I'll ever advance with the characters romantically), and I have to say, the description is... beautiful.

Like when you describe the surroundings, the sounds, it makes me feel as though I'm actually seeing through the character's eyes. ^^ Kousuke irritated me A LOT, but it really made me smile when I chose a path where we became on somewhat friendly terms. (Err, I doubt that's a spoiler.) The endings are more like openings to new beginnings, like the development of their relationships.
It would be lovely to see more!

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#41 Post by DragoonHP »

Ah completed the game. A really nice game. Good CG's and sprites.

Got ending's like this, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.

I never played it more for the first ending:
1. The endings seemed to be repetative. There was not much variations.
2. Liz behaviour was getting over my head. The first time it was fine, but again and again even with skipping, it quickly pissed me off.
3. I really wanted Kazumi ending, unlocked all the CG's, but there seem to be none. I haven't got ending 1, but I don't think it's Kazumi's.
Good game, overall. Hope to see some more of your games.

sn0w255
Regular

#42 Post by sn0w255 »

Excellently written. A few random grammatical errors, but they do not take away from the overall presentation. Graphics are beautiful; Music feels lacking, but that's how it always feels for me, since my standard is based on Ryuukishi07's works. But the real beauty of this is in the writing- the characters are very unique and easily lovable, and the plot is cohesive.
It is VERY disappointing there is no Kazumi route, however...>.>' But the fact that I'm disappointed is proof that you did a good job building up her character.
^.^ I'll be looking forward to Cradle-Song.

Kanari
Regular

#43 Post by Kanari »

It looks really interesting. O:
Currently downloading.
I'll give feedback when I'm done playing. >__________<;

Nykinora

#44 Post by Nykinora »

Hmmm. Well, I've only gotten endings five and six all in a desperate attempt to let Seji
run as far away from the annoying, passive-aggressive, immature and charmless Liz as he can. But I must say that I wasn't much riveted by Kazume's obsessive 'team Lizzy!' attitude and her overall dullness and blandness either, so the fairly slick, professional graphics weren't enough to lure me into pursuing the other endings.

I felt that the story was quite generic and it all hinged on Liz behaving like a difficult, recalcitrant brat, rather than being upfront. Furthermore, Kousuke's irrational worship of Liz and Kazume's protective indulgence made the characters seem like a pair of enablers. I understand the tsundere convention and how those characters are supposed to work and while they often don't appeal to me they can be intriguing characters if they're given a twist, an in-depth and interesting history/background, or if they're not OTT. I don't feel that this happened in the paths that I played with Liz. Fiery and tough is fine, but sulky and obnoxious doesn't cut it for me. Much of her anger and her acting out was seldom comedic or interesting to me. I found it tiresome to the point where I didn't want to find out if there were any 'hidden' depths to her.

Kanari
Regular

#45 Post by Kanari »

*done playing*

Umm... Liz is really annoying the hell outta me. >:T
And it's kinda weird 'cause she has the same name as me... > o >;
Lizzy. Ohmygawd, it's even spelled the. exact. same. way. xDDD