RE: Alistair++

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

Re: RE: Alistair++ - New and extended!

#226 Post by Jo'ogn »

Even though I am a boy, I like Travis most o_0 I guess I like his sharp tongue.

The graphics are splendid. I guess that doesn't really need to be said again.

Though I am not a big fan of altered GUIs it looks good, but is a bit too space consuming for my taste - it covers a bit too much of the backgrounds. I only accidentally figured that the "Auto-Forward" had moved from the options screen to this tiny button next to the huge stats circle. (agreeably that's sort of practical though)

Maybe I am just not familiar enough with those "dating sims", but the first time I played, I averagely covered all areas - and naturally ended up with... no boy >_>

Playing a second time, focussing on Travis, doing some work with Shiro, I was suprised that Derek still seemed to stalk Me(rui) in the mall o_0;;; - even though I completely ignored the gym - keeping me from doing shopping a couple of times. I got that creepy sense that girls could have of "OMG if I go to the mall now, will this creepy Derek sneak up from behind me again!?" >_<;

That said, I wish - and I say that from the POV of a game designer myself, knowing that it not that always that simple - there would be more hints of a developing relationship. Some feedback of the so-called invisible "Affection" stat. Not just merely those two, "Oh, you bought right items" flags and a confession at the very end of the game. While through-out the game all boys "behave" rather generic - even repetive(!).

Being "older" I find it more interesting to run an actual relationship than just trying to get one.

Though I did appreciate the cute scene at the end, showing to the player that Merui and Travis do have a happy relationship and that "the story" do not simply stop with the "confession".
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

ElementalButterfly
Regular

#227 Post by ElementalButterfly »

Jo'ogn wrote:Even though I am a boy, I like Travis most o_0 I guess I like his sharp tongue.

The graphics are splendid. I guess that doesn't really need to be said again.

Though I am not a big fan of altered GUIs it looks good, but is a bit too space consuming for my taste - it covers a bit too much of the backgrounds. I only accidentally figured that the "Auto-Forward" had moved from the options screen to this tiny button next to the huge stats circle. (agreeably that's sort of practical though)

Maybe I am just not familiar enough with those "dating sims", but the first time I played, I averagely covered all areas - and naturally ended up with... no boy >_>

Playing a second time, focussing on Travis, doing some work with Shiro, I was suprised that Derek still seemed to stalk Me(rui) in the mall o_0;;; - even though I completely ignored the gym - keeping me from doing shopping a couple of times. I got that creepy sense that girls could have of "OMG if I go to the mall now, will this creepy Derek sneak up from behind me again!?" >_<;

That said, I wish - and I say that from the POV of a game designer myself, knowing that it not that always that simple - there would be more hints of a developing relationship. Some feedback of the so-called invisible "Affection" stat. Not just merely those two, "Oh, you bought right items" flags and a confession at the very end of the game. While through-out the game all boys "behave" rather generic - even repetive(!).

Being "older" I find it more interesting to run an actual relationship than just trying to get one.

Though I did appreciate the cute scene at the end, showing to the player that Merui and Travis do have a happy relationship and that "the story" do not simply stop with the "confession".
i loved the part when
merui put bunny ears on travis's avatar ODA
. =D

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#228 Post by sake-bento »

@squark - You're not the only one. XD Half of his complaints about the school are lifted from my high school life. I really, really, really wanted them to upgrade the library. But nooooo...we need GYM FLOORS. ::cough:: Anyway.

@ElementalButterfly - Yup, Texas. Sadly. >.> I'll try to go to more out of state, but flying around the world is expensive. ^_^;;

@little_misere - Thank you very much for playing~ ^-^

@Jo'ogn - I do think a romance game where you maintain a relationship would be really interesting. They're a little trickier to write, though.

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#229 Post by Jo'ogn »

A right the "Gym Floors"! I did notice that the story writing had a strong North American influence (at least according to my prejudices X-D). That was what bothered me a bit about Merui.

While I found her tantrums inside Rivenwell funny, in "RL" she acted too "tsundere", or stereo-typical "teenagy", considering pretty much all three boys "jerks" in the very beginning. Because of the short times she met the boys, it felt not believable that she switched to common-sense and kindness, when she talked to the boy, recognising they each their "kind sides".

Or put differently I didn't feel like I was doing the choices. I was merely steering Merui around in this world and she would adjust to it.

I suppose this criss-crosses with the "on-going relationship" concept vs. "making the protagonist neutral" in a dating-sim.

The game itself would have to notice where the player spends most of their time and adjust the answers of the protagonist. Or maybe the player can even mark down somewhere what they think of certain boys and then she has different replies to what they say =D So one could avoid the creepy stalking Derek in the mall X-D

It was non-the-less enjoyable!

But I am a much too spoilt player. Even those new Xbox360 games - while looking amazing - if not already too (hyper) realistic, actually don't have too much wit and innovation if it comes to interactive story telling.
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#230 Post by sake-bento »

Well, there's a heavy North American influence because it takes place in North America. XD If it was stationed anywhere else, even the initial setup would be completely different.

And I don't think she really thought all three boys were "jerks," as much as she was really in a bad mood at the start, and thus acting in an unreasonable manner. After she cleared her mind a bit, she was able to think more logically about the other guys and realized they weren't as jerkish as she initially thought.

As for Derek stalking...that's another discussion for a game with a longer production time. XD (But yes, it's weird that he keeps talking to you in such a manner when you ignore him.)

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#231 Post by Jo'ogn »

Ah, all right, so it's like discussed in the Jisei topic. It's Seattle with lots of Jeapense touch and not the other way round X-D Maybe you should point that out somewhere early in the games. This cultural cross-over does seem to confuse the one or other player. Me included ^_^'

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#232 Post by Pyonkotchi »

ohoho, I really don't have anything to say that hasn't been said a gazillion times n3n

I just stopped by to deliver a lil' somethin somethin n____n
New canvas.png
Alistair Fanart 8D, enjoy~
/slips awayyyy

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#233 Post by sake-bento »

Uwa~ thank you very much. ^o^ May I post it on the site?

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#234 Post by Pyonkotchi »

Y'welcome. Go right ahead n__n

Arisu

#235 Post by Arisu »

Just dropping a quick note to let you know I adored this, and the ++ version was even better ^_^

The stat raising and shopping are fun aspects (especially when items bought resulted in in-game convos), I really like the characters, the interface looks really sleek (I like that you added the skip-button... because I played through this before I knew the engine had a hot key for that ^^;) and the artwork is, as you already know, absolutely lovely.

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#236 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

sake-bento wrote:@squark - You're not the only one. XD Half of his complaints about the school are lifted from my high school life. I really, really, really wanted them to upgrade the library. But nooooo...we need GYM FLOORS. ::cough:: Anyway.

@ElementalButterfly - Yup, Texas. Sadly. >.> I'll try to go to more out of state, but flying around the world is expensive. ^_^;;

@little_misere - Thank you very much for playing~ ^-^

@Jo'ogn - I do think a romance game where you maintain a relationship would be really interesting. They're a little trickier to write, though.
it is T_T, and i can't take breaks from school either. (i am elementalbutterfly, but i made this new one because i want my username here to be the same as my username in deviantart ^_^)

AmazingDanni

#237 Post by AmazingDanni »

I played this game for the first time a few weeks ago, and refound it on my computer yesterday. I replayed it and fell in love with Travis... AGAIN.

I can't help but fall for the dark-haired nerd. T-T

Anyway, this is the first Otome game where I actually liked all of the characters. The art is superb, and I didn't get bored while playing it.

Travis' last Cg made me *SQUEE* really loudly. :L

Love this game, no doubt that I'll keep on playing it.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#238 Post by SusanTheCat »

AmazingDanni wrote:Travis' last Cg made me *SQUEE* really loudly. :L
Travis is very SQUEE!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

LondonIvy
Regular

#239 Post by LondonIvy »

I just wanted to stop in and say how much I enjoyed this game. It really was the game that made me realize that renpy renai games had every bit the potential to be as good as Japanese renai games. Matter of fact, this was the game that made me want to pursue my own project using the renpy engine. You really inspired me.

Although it would have been nice to see more (just because I liked the characters so much) what is there is good enough. Besides, Shiro is a cutie. <3 I liked all the guys. Derek was kind of stupid (and a little bit of a stalker, lol) but he grew on me. You have a way of writing likeable characters.
Although it was kind of weird that Shiro plays as a female avatar and never mentions anything about going to your school, but it's not THAT strange, I guess, and I actually found it sort of cute that he and Merui had a connection like that.
The writing was impressive to say nothing of the beautiful art. I typically find that these projects either have good art and poor writing or poor writing and good art. It's refreshing to see both combined.

I love, love, love Merui. She's adorable! :D She has so much personality and reading her thoughts and dialogue is a pleasure.

I would love to see you tackle another renai game. You have a knack for writing it. Consider me a fan.

Sakura02
Regular
Projects: Ecchie Sketchy

#240 Post by Sakura02 »

I freaking love this game *0* Shiro is such a cutie <3 beautiful art and great plot.