Digital: A Love Story

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Re: Digital: A Love Story

#46 Post by VenusEclipse »

I enjoyed this one. The idea behind it was so unique. Didn't reach the end yet since I downloaded it only days ago. I'm going to recommend this to my computer buddies to see what they think. :mrgreen:

insertjokehere

#47 Post by insertjokehere »

Just finished :cry:
Congratulations, and thank you, I rather enjoyed that. you've been linked to on BoingBoing BTW, prepare to the /. effect

this reminded me of Uplink, well worth getting if you enjoyed this

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#48 Post by Victoria »

This was really great. For a few times I didn't know what exactly am I supposed to do, so I just kept entering numbers, but I figured it out =D
Looking forward for any other future projects =)
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

arielariel

#49 Post by arielariel »

This game is so delicious! I am stuck. I am joining here to ask a q because I am so obsessed. It is testament to the game that I am this obsessed with finding the answer -- and I really love how so many people are getting all nostalgic. I haven't spent hours fiddling with a modem in YEARS. I was never a huge BBSer hacker type, but I loved them anyways. I am writing down phone numbers on a piece of paper and cracking myself up. This game should come with a mess of coffee-stained post-it notes for full realism. ;)

I am out of long distance codes....
I have the ARPAnet # but have not dialed. I called around a little to try and find more information regarding how to get the password (the # the ARPAnet gives is not a BBS it seems.) I used up my codes. I went to the Matrix to get more, and it gave them to me but did not put them on my notepad. I wrote them down, tried them, and they were all no good. I've replied to every message, PMed everyone repeatedly, tried guessing, tried changing numbers, logged into Lake City to see what was there.
Is there something I'm missing, or is it a bug?

Thanks!

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#50 Post by Scout »

arielariel wrote:I am out of long distance codes....
I have the ARPAnet # but have not dialed. I called around a little to try and find more information regarding how to get the password (the # the ARPAnet gives is not a BBS it seems.) I used up my codes. I went to the Matrix to get more, and it gave them to me but did not put them on my notepad. I wrote them down, tried them, and they were all no good. I've replied to every message, PMed everyone repeatedly, tried guessing, tried changing numbers, logged into Lake City to see what was there.
Is there something I'm missing, or is it a bug?
That's definitely a bug and I'm not sure how it happened. You should never be able to run out of codes. I've attached a hack so that you can continue-- nobody else should use (or even need!) to download it. Place this in the game/ directory; it'll add an item to the options menu called "clear codes", which will purge the list and hopefully resolve your problem!
Attachments
workbench.rpy
(51.74 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

Foehn

#51 Post by Foehn »

Thanks for this lovely game. I enjoyed it a lot from the slow beginning where I just spend myself clicking and putting numbers until I got immersed and getting anxious to check every other BBS for progress.

I can imagine implementing .hack//G.U. dual-reply system to expand the dialogue, universe and side characters, though that might make the game three times as big and distracting to the main storyline. The game as it is is already wonderful as short romance story anyway so this is good.

I love the music selections, from the anxiety of encountering broken BBS, the excitement of hacking into ARPANET to final farewell song. You have good taste. I want to see more.

P.S. despite all the c0dez getting striked I still can use the last one (before striked) to access the long distance calling card

arielariel

#52 Post by arielariel »

Scout,
Thanks so much! This game is so delicious. I hope you are really pleased with yourself. I lost my progress but I am playing quickly and will go forward. Take care!

Mrs. Abject
Regular
Projects: Looking For My Prince, Ghost, Sleepwalk to Me

#53 Post by Mrs. Abject »

I loved this game. It almost made me cry, and though it was kinetic, I felt like I was making a lot of the choices to progress the story. I also really, really liked that the protagonist was (I think deliberately) whatever gender you wanted to play as. I hate it when games ask me to play as myself, but automatically assume I'm a dude. (Somebody referred to me on a board by a male pronoun, but I think that was more the character erroneously assuming I was male than the game erroneously assuming I was male. It was sort of funny with an obviously female username, though.) The music was a nice touch, too, and *Emilia was a super cute love interest. And the ending was so well-written.
I nearly cried as I tried to convince *Emilia not to sacrifice herself, and then when I realized I had to kill her and she pretty much walked me through the process. You are terrible. God job.
May I offer some concrit, though?

I've seen some *Emilia dislike on other boards. I did not share this sentiment, but I think partially it was because the relationship took off so fast without much buildup or time. Perhaps having the characters take things a little slower would make *Emilia more likable to these people?

Second, the immersion was usually wonderful, but there were some times I would have appreciated another choice.
For example, not everybody would still be in love with *Emilia after finding out her secret, even if they did still want to save her.
Also, in the ending, *Emilia didn't seem capable of activating the program herself. The player had to do it, and s/he wasn't really given an option of NOT doing it. I'm not saying there had to be a happy ending, just there could have been different variations of sad. It seems equally possible that the player could have refused to help *Emilia sacrifice herself, and that she would have never forgiven him/her for letting all the other AI die.
Third, I felt that
all of the AI except for *Emilia
were not that sympathetic, and
sacrificing her to save them
didn't feel worth it to me. It could have just been me, though.

Anyway, excellent job, and I'm going to go download all your other visual novels now. :3

elmedir

#54 Post by elmedir »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com posted a review by Kieron Gillen on March 17th. He likes it quite a bit it seems. :D

sugapete

#55 Post by sugapete »

Hi there I think I missed a critical instruction and I cannot figure out how to input c0dez. Please tell me how? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by sugapete on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

south desert islander
Regular

#56 Post by south desert islander »

I have to say I am an hour into this game and must say it is very intresting. I never knew how the BBS worked back in the day. I came online around the 95 era and started on a windows 3.3. If what goes on the game is true for how it was to pass messages back in the day, that must have been quite the stone age.

The dial up tone... please.. can you get an option to get rid of it? :D It brings me bad memories

taxiforhire

#57 Post by taxiforhire »

Great game! I really love the ambience--and the concept is genius.

I seem to be stuck, though.
I've hacked into GibsonBBS with the dict hacker, but I can't seem to get onto Sector 001, try as I might. I've tried PMing and replying to everyone's messages, but to no avail. This is all after Lake City Local goes down, of course. I've looked at the Library, but can't get in there either... I think I need to get into Sector 001 first.
Any tips?

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#58 Post by VenusEclipse »

south desert islander wrote:
The dial up tone... please.. can you get an option to get rid of it? :D It brings me bad memories
When you dial up and you really want to skip the dialing tone, just click again to skip it. :)

DMNT

#59 Post by DMNT »

Scout wrote:That's definitely a bug and I'm not sure how it happened. You should never be able to run out of codes. I've attached a hack so that you can continue-- nobody else should use (or even need!) to download it. Place this in the game/ directory; it'll add an item to the options menu called "clear codes", which will purge the list and hopefully resolve your problem!
I'm having the same problem as well:
http://img.skitch.com/20100402-f4cdpiqm ... tc6tca.png (didn't put it in image tags for those who don't want to be spoiled)

Not clear on where to put the hack though. Also, I'm on a Mac if it matters.

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#60 Post by Scout »

You don't need to hack anything. Just get more codes from The Matrix.