Card Sweethearts (commercial, poker + VN)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Card Sweethearts (commercial, poker + VN)

#1 Post by jack_norton »

I'm very happy to announce that the poker/VN game Card Sweethearts is finally ready for preorders. The game is beta, but it is very stable: in case you find any problem please let us know. I worked on this with Pytom who did the poker engine, and sake-bento who took over the previous writer who quitted and rewrote completely the story and finished the game.

As always there's a generous 30% discount for first 50 buyers using this coupon: BOIO000X9 (enter it in coupon code field and click Recalculate button to see the amount updated).

Demo download links:
http://www.tycoongames.eu/downloadgame. ... CSDemo.exe (Pc)
http://www.tycoongames.eu/downloadgame. ... CSDemo.zip (Mac)
http://www.tycoongames.eu/downloadgame. ... mo.tar.bz2 (Linux)

The offical website with some images and the full cast: http://www.cardsweethearts.com

Image Image Image
Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGGR3PL ... playnext=1

Game teaser:
------------
Card Sweethearts is a poker game with a twist. Billy is an IT worker who suddenly finds himself out of a job. The only person willing to hire him is a shady private investigator with a tight wallet and a fondness for poker.

Step into Billy's shoes as you investigate sexy ladies, play poker with people all across town, and rub elbows with the rich and famous. And with women this beautiful, money isn't the only thing you'll be playing for! Win a woman's affection, and you'll be treated to a game of strip poker.

Card Sweethearts is a story-driven poker game with a dry sense of humor and beautiful artwork.
------------
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

Re: Card Sweethearts (commercial, poker + VN)

#2 Post by Mirage »

Well, I am currently on 1360X768 screen, and sad to say, I can't play it because the play button was completely out of reach. I have no idea to get the game on full screen. Btw, my friend who downloaded it crashed in the beginning of the game.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by jack_norton »

You're using a Pc/Mac? And your friend? I've tested on Pc/Mac and was working... :(
P.S. to go fullscreen you need to press F, though probably is better if I make the game startup on fullscreen.

Almost forgot, if your friend can send the traceback.txt that would be very helpful!
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

#4 Post by Mirage »

Ah, thanks, I can play it now. It doesn't crash on mine.

My friend used Window Vista, and she said it crashed at the part where you met Tobias in the beginning, when you were asked to enter the amount of money to bet. When she pressed enter the game freezed. I'll see if I can ask for traceback.txt, but chances is she already deleted the file from her computer.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by jack_norton »

AH ok then it's when the poker game starts, damn :( ask if you can get that traceback since would be very helpful for Pytom to find out what is happening (I have Vista too and of course I can play the poker game fine).
computer games

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#6 Post by Vatina »

I will have to say this again though - it would be very nice if the game was playable in windowed mode as well. Alas the large resolution makes that a pain, as Mirage pointed out.

Apart from that, haven't played very far yet...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by jack_norton »

Hm well but the game uses 1024x768, so the same resolution as all my other games ? I mean, I don't understand why this one is different?
Anyway, for Vera Blanc I switched back to 800x600 so should be playable on any netbook :)
computer games

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

#8 Post by Aashtarsrain »

it crashed at the part where you met Tobias in the beginning, when you were asked to enter the amount of money to bet. When she pressed enter the game freezed
Same problem here (Windows 7), trying to find some information about this...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by jack_norton »

Ayu discovered that crashes if you enter an empty string when asking how much you want to bet. Is that the case? or it crashes even if you enter a normal value (like accepting the default one)?
computer games

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

#10 Post by Aashtarsrain »

Yes, I accepted the default one too.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by jack_norton »

Ah so it's really a bug in the poker engine :( But you see no error message? can you check in the installation directory for any log files? (should be .log or .txt files)
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

#12 Post by Mirage »

My friend said that regardless what number she entered, it crashed. (Unfortunately she already deleted the demo, so I can't get you the traceback.txt.)

As for screen size, I have played lots of your games (Bionic Hearts, Spirited Heart, Heileen 1&2), and the resolution size is one of my personal gripe, because the buttons are almost always cut off from the screen. Since I was still able to play the game, I never mentioned anything about it. Recently I changed the monitor to wide screen, and CardSweetHeart was the first game you released after I changed monitor. I was shocked to find that the buttons are completely unreachable ^^;

Anyway, I just completed the demo yesterday. I must say the storyline is very interesting. Kinda like walking between the line of legal and illegal, very suitable for story related to poker. Victor amused me especially when he got angry of Billy playing poker instead of gathering info on Miko.

Though I must admit I didn't like the poker part that much. It felt too randomized, I can't come up with sure way to win. I felt I lost the money I earn way too easily. I earn the money more easily by losing to 0 and get web design job instead. XD

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by jack_norton »

Yes I asked more people to test, and nobody had a crash. It is not related to the amount you enter indeed (unless you enter an empty string lol). So it's a bug but so far is like 1 out of 10 people that has it (and unless someone sends us a traceback is hard to fix it).
I tried it on my netbook, and you're right, I moved up the buttons on the main screen! :D
Glad you liked the storyline. About the poker part, maybe I'm more used to play it but I seem to be able to win enough times (not always, but enough not to lose much money). A good strategy is to always fold if you don't get good cards on the first round. If you have at least a pair, you can go on and bet. And you can always save/load before each round ;)
computer games

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#14 Post by number473 »

Imo, if you're running it on a netbook with the small screen, you might as well just run it full screen, since you're not going to have much space left, anyway. The thing seems to be that Ren'Py doesn't take the title bar and the task bar into account when resizing the window.
Back to the topic, though, I still need to find time to try the demo.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

WinKi

#15 Post by WinKi »

Ffffff-, the demo is buggy. :( Don't sell the game if you're going to transform your own buyers into beta testers, it's not nice. And yeah, custom resolutions are bad.