Grace's Diary

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
hima

Grace's Diary

#1 Post by hima »

This is an entry for 2010 Life.Love.Game Design contest.

Introduction
Grace's Diary is an interactive visual novel made with Flash and flixel game framework. The game plays out as a point and click exploration/adventure game. There is a lot of dialogue in the game, which players will sometime be given choices to response. DIfferent response or actions will lead the game to a different ending. The game is not a long one, however, and can be finished in about an hour.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmSXI50mDvU

Screenshots

[hr]

Play the game!
The game is pretty large, with the size of 13 MB. Please wait for it might take a while to load! I'll see if I'm allowed to make an executable so that people can download it and play it on their computer instead of online.
http://jenniferann.org.p8.hostingprod.c ... -place.htm

Other games
You can play other entries submitted to the contest here
http://www.jenniferann.org/2010-games.htm

pmoys
Projects: Unnamed project - 2%

Re: Grace's Diary

#2 Post by pmoys »

Awesome!
I like how the game was laid out, and the message is VERY good. Congratulations!
Avid Tea Drinker and Knitter

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#3 Post by yummy »

In game design, project design and ambition, this game deserved its number one title.
Besides this, I think this game mixes both Visual novel and click & point systems, with a touch of atmosphere you find in Hotel Dusk.

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#4 Post by Victoria »

I really liked it =D I got bad ending two times before I got the real one, and kept trying to find some new thing to click on, before I realised that you can find out something only after you discovered some other clue, even if you clicked on it before =D
It has a really strong message, and I'm glad it won.
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#5 Post by Suikama »

Found a glitch. If you click where the save/sound/menu buttons used to be while talking to Natalie, they still work and it brings you back to your room and messes up the call.

hima

#6 Post by hima »

Thanks for all the comments! I'm glad that the message is delivered without making it sounds too educational!
Suikama wrote:Found a glitch. If you click where the save/sound/menu buttons used to be while talking to Natalie, they still work and it brings you back to your room and messes up the call.
Oh no! Thank you so much for pointing this out. The game will going through a proof-reading and editing so I'll make sure I fix this in the next version.

IceD
Veteran

#7 Post by IceD »

Wonderful game. It's really aspiring how such titles come to life :) The message was clear and despite being an mostly educational title, this game shows how it should be done. I had a wonderful time playing it, thanks!

I've also found something, that might propably be a bug, but I'm not sure. Sometimes when you'll go from one part of the room to another (clicking the arrows), and then click on some of the things (such as the poster, or the *trash* on the floor), it brings you back to previous part of the room and runs quite different object pattern than you have chosen. It happend to me few times during the play. Other than that, it's a great game! I love the overall art style :)

hima

#8 Post by hima »

IceD wrote:Wonderful game. It's really aspiring how such titles come to life :) The message was clear and despite being an mostly educational title, this game shows how it should be done. I had a wonderful time playing it, thanks!
No no no! I have to thank you for playing it! Glad to hear that it doesn't seem forced and message is delivered :)
IceD wrote: I've also found something, that might propably be a bug, but I'm not sure. Sometimes when you'll go from one part of the room to another (clicking the arrows), and then click on some of the things (such as the poster, or the *trash* on the floor), it brings you back to previous part of the room and runs quite different object pattern than you have chosen. It happend to me few times during the play. Other than that, it's a great game! I love the overall art style :)
Yeah, unfortunately that is a known bug that I have been trying to fix it but I couldn't. I guess the only way to fix that bug is to rewrite the whole thing. X( It used to crash the game too but I've fixed it so that it doesn't crash the game.

Alphonse
Regular

#9 Post by Alphonse »

I was reminded of Hotel Dusk as well. Mostly the sketchy art + squigglevision.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

I wish there is an excutable .exe.... :D

wayouthere

#11 Post by wayouthere »

pmoys wrote:Awesome!
I like how the game was laid out, and the message is VERY good. Congratulations!
:D I agree this game has a good message and i like how one wrong move like not getting proof or a helpline number has a huge impact!! :cry:

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#12 Post by Blue Lemma »

That was a good game! Very professional. I felt kind of like Phoenix Wright during the phone call and that soundtrack kept playing in my head ;) Grace is a good role model.

One little bug: During one segment of the phone call, Natalie's textbox says she's "Grace".

Anyway, I played most of the other games on the website, and while there were other good ones, this one was definitely deserving of the win for its completeness of message and execution :)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Esphirisa
Regular

#13 Post by Esphirisa »

I like the fact that the game is played from the victim's friend's perspective. As mentioned, the message is delivered clearly and in a proper manner, and the point-and-click system keeps me hooked to it! (Cause there's no way I can click X without first finding all the things I need!) The art is well done, and I like the fact that the background(?) looks like an opened diary. The other winning entries ain't bad, but you really deserved the first prize. Congratulations!