Ripples (Remix)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: Ripples (Remix)

#16 Post by dstarsboy »

Wow, very well remade! Excellent voice acting on both parts and the art is amazing. Great work! :)
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#17 Post by Victoria »

Wow, I loved this game when the first edition was out, and I love it even more now; story is extendend, art is so lovely and music is touching; and voices are done very well.
I just love that sentence. >.<
"Even if my life is just a single drop, every drop of water leaves ripples."
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Wintermoon »

It looks great. I like the music, the plot, and the writing. I am ambivalent about the voice acting.
I love the image of the people as puffed up balloons, slowly growing smaller and smaller.

I do not like this sentence: "Even if my life is just a single drop, every drop of water leaves ripples." It's a clever subversion of the original metaphor, but its doesn't actually say anything. What if Koda had said "dust in the wind" instead of "drop in the bucket"?

It may seem inconsistent that I like one subverted metaphor but dislike the other. However, there is a significant different between the two. The balloon metaphor is an empty platitude. It deserves to be mocked. Saying that life is a "drop in the bucket" expresses a real concern (i.e. Koda's feeling of insignificance and powerlessness). I feel this concern deserves to be addressed directly, not through clever word games.

(Incidentally, I feel that the question of whether people can change the world is entirely beside the point. We live, therefore we must try. Worrying about whether or not we succeed is a waste of time.)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#19 Post by sake-bento »

Wintermoon wrote:
I love the image of the people as puffed up balloons, slowly growing smaller and smaller.

I do not like this sentence: "Even if my life is just a single drop, every drop of water leaves ripples." It's a clever subversion of the original metaphor, but its doesn't actually say anything. What if Koda had said "dust in the wind" instead of "drop in the bucket"?...Saying that life is a "drop in the bucket" expresses a real concern (i.e. Koda's feeling of insignificance and powerlessness). I feel this concern deserves to be addressed directly, not through clever word games.
I could have been more direct, but unfortunately, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future," was already taken. "A single grain of rice can tip the scale," is also taken, sadly. The line about ripples exists thanks to the writer thinking ahead, but if Koda had said something else, that wouldn't stop Kuu from telling him that small things can make a big difference. I think Koda's change in attitude is based more on her actions rather than her words. She had dreams, and something happened to her that would have caused him to be discouraged or give up. Instead, she pressed on. She was persistent with him, even though in his eyes, being kind to him had no value. The quote about ripples is a nice "takeaway point," but his change came about because she surprised him with her simple honesty.
Wintermoon wrote:
(Incidentally, I feel that the question of whether people can change the world is entirely beside the point. We live, therefore we must try. Worrying about whether or not we succeed is a waste of time.)
I agree with this entirely.

Muse
Regular

#20 Post by Muse »

Yay! I didn't play the original; I only got into visual novels recently, but Sake Visual was one of the main reasons I DID get into the games. So I am very excited to see that this game is out! It looks very cute and I am excited! Plus this and Jisei coming out right next to each other; I'm in awe at the amount of work done in a short time! I just downloaded it but I am sure this will be excellent! Thank you to the whole team for all of your excellent work.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#21 Post by Blue Lemma »

Wow, sake-chan and deji-chan are on a roll lately! It's super-late now and I need to go to bed, but I'll play tomorrow (today technically :^x )
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I think I'm having this syndrome where it sounds like all English guy voice actors are Johnny Yong Bosch.

But besides that, what an adorable little KN!

Koda reminds me of a character of mine, actually. And, well, my sometimes view of life.
deviantART
---------------------

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#23 Post by PrettySammy09 »

I remember this when it first came out! Can't wait to download it and play the remake. :) Congrats Ayu - you've done something amazing with your studio. It's inspiring!

Esphirisa
Regular

#24 Post by Esphirisa »

Wow. That might have made me re-think life a little. Absolutely heartwarming.

Evangeline
Regular

#25 Post by Evangeline »

Holy shit. First time player here. I just finished this and I'm actually bawling like a baby right now. For some reason, Kuu's last trite, inspirational line just set me off and the sight of the camera and the cookies next to each other just made me cry even harder.

The opening monologue really resonated with me because in a sense, that IS the way the world is. And it made me just a little sad inside... and that's probably why I'm crying right now. Tears of relief, I guess? Because even though the world is like this, all we need to do is change the way we look at it... ne?

Very lovely little thing. Great art, great voicing, great writing. I tend to be overly ambitious and plan huge projects that never come to fruition... I guess this should serve as a reminder to me that starting small is indeed the smart way to go.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by sake-bento »

Wow, it's really encouraging to read all of these. I admit that when I first released Ripples I was really nervous about how people would take it, and I wound up being just as nervous the second time around as well. ^_^;; Thank you all so much for your comments. It means a lot more to me than I can explain properly. @^@

dstarsboy
Veteran

#27 Post by dstarsboy »

A looong time ago I posted a thread about asking anyone in the Ren'Py community if they wanted me to port their game to the iPhone. Sake Bento was one of the only responses I got. She requested Ripples be ported once it was remixed.

It only took a few days to port and I just submitted it to the App Store today. It should show up in less than a week. The name is "Ripples Visual Novel" (since "Ripples" is actually already taken). It plays virtually identically to the Ripples ren'py game and it's free.

So if you haven't had a chance to check it out yet, (and you have an iPhone, iPod or an iPad) please have a go once it's available.

Special thanks to SakeBento and SakeVisual for giving me something to sink my teeth into in my spare time.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 8.05.02 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 8.04.15 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-06-17 at 8.03.58 PM.png
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Codexus
Regular

#28 Post by Codexus »

sake-bento wrote: If you're curious, the original looked like this.
Awesome to see such an improvement!

Alphonse
Regular

#29 Post by Alphonse »

lepapillonrouge wrote:I think I'm having this syndrome where it sounds like all English guy voice actors are Johnny Yong Bosch.
Actually, Micah Solusod (or, here, maioceaneyes. I hope. Otherwise this post is completely irrelevant.) is often confused for Johnny Yong Bosch. (See all English dub clips of Soul Eater featuring Soul himself on Youtube and the comments for each clip, including but not limited to "Is JYB playing Soul?"). In this case, at least, it's not a syndrome, he really does sound like him.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#30 Post by sake-bento »

Alphonse wrote:
lepapillonrouge wrote:I think I'm having this syndrome where it sounds like all English guy voice actors are Johnny Yong Bosch.
Actually, Micah Solusod (or, here, maioceaneyes. I hope. Otherwise this post is completely irrelevant.) is often confused for Johnny Yong Bosch. (See all English dub clips of Soul Eater featuring Soul himself on Youtube and the comments for each clip, including but not limited to "Is JYB playing Soul?"). In this case, at least, it's not a syndrome, he really does sound like him.
Yeah, it happens a lot, especially with the lower register. (He voices Malek in Blassreiter, and no one thought it was JYB.) He gets a lot of (good natured) teasing at work for that. >.>