Fantasia Requiem of The Abyss (GXB)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ElementalButterfly
Regular

Re: Fantasia Requiem of The Abyss (GXB)

#346 Post by ElementalButterfly »

Mr.L wrote:
ElementalButterfly wrote:
Mr.L wrote:Wow 23 pages! I can't wait to play this one!!
Ummm.. the number of pages doesn't describe this game's awesomeness. Its way more awesome. :D
I bet....
did you play it yet?

Mr.L

#347 Post by Mr.L »

Not yet I had to work through the weekend but I will asap.

ElementalButterfly
Regular

#348 Post by ElementalButterfly »

Mr.L wrote:Not yet I had to work through the weekend but I will asap.
whats "asap" ? O_O

Zumi
Regular

#349 Post by Zumi »

As soon as possible.

ElementalButterfly
Regular

#350 Post by ElementalButterfly »

Zumi wrote:As soon as possible.
O_O Thanks ^_^

Stargirl18
Regular

#351 Post by Stargirl18 »

Hello everyone. Exit a Walkthroughs for Fantasia Requiem of The Abyss :?: i have trouble whit a get all endings on Fantasia Requiem of The Abyss. So i become very happy which exit a Walkthroughs for Fantasia Requiem of The Abyss.

From Stargirl18 :)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#352 Post by azureXtwilight »

ElementalButterfly
Regular

#353 Post by ElementalButterfly »

Thank you. ^^ (very detailed walkthrough)

Ametrya
Regular
Projects: Return to my life

#354 Post by Ametrya »

Gah, is it impossible to get Raven's 2nd bad end? D:
How about the other 'unlockable' in the extras?

It's such an awesome game :D, too many choices and stuff.
There were several things I didn't like that much, though, but it's still great and made me spend too many hours playing.
Cyrus was the first guy I chose but it was awful to have Faye as a rival and requiring to kill her for the good and best endings. And Shea was awesome. Cyrus often acted and looked more like an 8 years old rather than a 15 years old (which is strange, since Leon in the first game is supposed to be 15 and he clearly wasn't that childish). He wasn't really good looking, and it didn't make sense for him to call Valen 'Big sis' (I really didn't like that, it seemed just to make his 'youth' more stereotypical), but I guess it's still one of my favorite characters.

Raven and Cain were my other favorites. But their ending song wasn't as awesome as Battle of Honor. Well, except for Cain's, but I didn't like all the 'tsundere' stuff with him, it was so annoying. Shea's last scene was so sad in Cain's route. It would have been nicer if young Cain had a bigger appearance in Raven's best ending.

Nazim was cool too, but I feel that his story wasn't interesting at all.

I didn't really like Klavios, in his path he was kinda sweet but in all the others he was kinda useless and rude. I didn't like Volg either, though he was quite funny at times (and I just loved every time Oswald talked to/about him).

The CGs were pretty awful compared to the character sprites, sorry.
It was quite noticeable at some times that the music was from several different places, the quality and style was way too different from song to song.
And also, there were way too many typos too, the card game didn't work, it was a huge pain to solve the murder mystery that many times to get all the endings (plus, it was way too easy..., Volg looked like a psycho with those cat eyes that were actually normal eyes with black lines due to his hair).
And it didn't really make any sense when some characters used japanese expressions.
Last edited by Ametrya on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#355 Post by Coren »

PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS, THANK YOU. Don't reveal important plot points or the solution to the mystery just like that. Think about the people who haven't yet played the game.
1 - Yes, Raven's bad end 2 is impossible to get.
2 - Well, if you think it's an awesome game, tell the creator why you like it, so she can keep it in mind for future games. (:
3 - Cyrus's path - It's the only path with a rival, and you don't kill her. Her sacrificing herself is a different thing altogether. I don't see you complaining about Volg dying in most paths. And Cyrus is not Leon. He can act differently. Anyway, why do you like Cyrus? You said was how he's annoyingly childish and how his path is terrible to play.
4 - "Nazim is cool. His story wasn't interesting. But he's still cool, so nevermind!"
5 - None of the music was ripped. They were all royalty free music that are available for non-commercial usage. Azure does not have a musician, so it is understandable. Plenty of games make use of royalty free music. Although the next game has many original tracks. :)
6 - Too many typos - wait for the remake, or play the third game.
7 - Japanese expressions - maybe it doesn't really make sense that the characters spoke English, either?
Last edited by Coren on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ametrya
Regular

#356 Post by Ametrya »

@Kirroha

Wow, why are you so mad?
I wasn't intending to write a huge wall of text to justify every comment, since I stated that I enjoyed it very much, it's a given that I liked everything I didn't mention. Since this is a developers' forum, constructive criticism is more useful than compliments anyway

So
I really liked the character of Thanos as an antagonist, and the conversations he had with Valen (the dreams, and specially, Cain's best ending). Valen herself was a great protagonist, and I loved how she didn't have to be fake or weak to get the guys (the scene in Raven's path, where she got kidnapped, was pure win). Oswald's role as a father was hilarious at times, sweet at others, which added a lot to the story, and something similar happened with Cheryl, but in a smaller measure.

Cain was an interesting character, I liked how he was seeking for a purpose for himself, how he manages to change, and how sweer he was towards Valen without forcing her to stay with him or anything even when it was clear that he liked her in any path. In the first game, the dialogs with him were quite emotional, and in this game the character is clearly recognizable (personality wise) as the character from the previous game, with added maturity. I feel that it was impossible to not empathize with him.

Nazim could manage being, at the same time, being a strong, serious person, and one of the funniest characters in the game (alongside Volg and Oswald). He always was more rational than Klavios, and in their discussions Klavios could only attack his 'phobia' to make him more vulnerable, yet that only made Nazim seem more sweet and sensitive than Klavios anyway. Also, Nazim was very far from the prince stereotype, without seeming stereotypically rebellious either.

Cyrus seemed a bit contradictory at times. Through the story he clearly learns a lot, and alternates his childish moments with moments of being independant, mature and thoughtful. It was sweet to see how he changed his attitude towards his family (his father and Volg), and specially, how much it affected him when Volg betrayed his trust, and how difficult it was for him to forgive him (which made his sacrifice very emotional, in Volg's 'good' ending). Also his relationship with Shea made his path nicer too, the change was somewhat similar to his relationship with Volg, except that Shea was an actual friend for him instead of a 'senior'.
It was sweet and funny when Cyrus tried to flirt with Valen, as it showed that he wanted to make an effort to make her happier, but didn't really know how. It's kinda similar to what happened to Raven and Volg too.

I could write what did I like about the other paths too, but it would probably be too long, as there was no path that I didn't like.

The problem I had with Faye dying in Cyrus good endings is how it was kind of implied that she had to get out of the way to allow Valen and Cyrus to get a good ending. Volg's death wasn't as unexpected and had no relation to Valen's actions, also it happened in almost every path.

I know that the music isn't ripped, it's from free resources websites. Most of it is really nice, but some kinda doesn't match, but it's something minor. Personally, I think that the final battle music (which was different for every character) made the moment less 'epic' for certain characters (specially Nazim), personally I think that the best ones were Cain's and Cyrus'.
7 - Japanese expressions - maybe it doesn't really make sense that the characters spoke English, either?
It does because the game is made for an audience that understands english, geez. Foreign expressions can add a lot of atmosphere when the story happens in a foreign country, but Fantasia didn't really look japanese. Also I don't really get why should the game attempt to seem like a japanese game adding those, as it is already good enough without it, that would just perpetuate the myth of anime/manga style being only for japan obsessed people.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#357 Post by Coren »

Eh? I was mad? O: Sorry if I sounded like that to you. I guess I should've phrased my sentences differently.

Maybe it's because of the spoiler tags thing. Ah well, I'm a firm believer in spoiler tags.

Ametrya
Regular

#358 Post by Ametrya »

Oh, ok.
I don't consider spoiler tags important most of the time, so I tend to forget about them :P

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#359 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thanks for the critisim, Ametrya.

I have a bad habit of inserting weird pun here and there, and about the music... Well, that happens when I have no composer :P

About some of the CGs, I admit they were "rushed", I put the reasons why in the WIP of this project... >.>

Either way, thank you for enjoying this imperfect piece of mine! :)

Nykinora

#360 Post by Nykinora »

Congratulations on getting this massive game finished. I thought it was very ambitious and a nice follow-up to Realm of Thanos. I (slightly) prefer the first installment but thought that this was a more than worthy sequel. Just a few thoughts on the game...
I think one of the critical differences for me between the two games is that Realm of Thanos is set up in such a way that Oswald is such an elusive presence that he is the most difficult (yet rewarding) character to access, whereas the other guys (Leon, Gil, Ian) are far more accessible and 'immediate'. As a result, the player is all but encouraged to play all of the storylines first before finally getting around to Oswald - or at least, that's how it worked out for me and I was glad for it. I think Realm of Thanos did a good job of steering you towards the other three boys, before you get to Oswald.

With Requiem of the Abyss however, Valen has such close and constant proximity to Cain that the two characters are all but thrown together from the off-set, which makes it all too easy to fall into Cain's storyline before anyone else's. If anything, I feel that the player is steered towards Cain quite strongly. Like Oswald however, Cain's storyline is best saved for last, whereas the sooner Volg's story arc is accessed the better. It detracts from his storyline somewhat if you play any of the other characters first, because in every storyline there is the big reveal about Volg. If you've played other characters first, by the time you get around to Volg's story, much of it has already been disclosed, and you're already aware of his ulterior motive.

In short, I think that because of overlap, the order in which you play the characters does have an effect on your overall experience.

Re Shea: Since I played Cain's path first, I wasn't overly impressed by Shea who seemed rather thin, cursory, underdeveloped and shoehorned into the plot. Once I played Volg's and Cyrus' paths however, the character made far more sense to me. That said, I wasn't all that moved by Shea's demise because it seemed like a distant echo Cain's death in "Realm of Thanos" and it was a case of 'been there, done that".

Valen: She was *alright* as a protagonist, and psychologically plausible given her highly privileged background, although CAPSLOCK! petulant/sassy Valen was less than 'cute' to me... The scene where she was trying to book a voyage on the ship, for example was a bit hyper and OTT. One thing I did notice however was that the game tended to reward passive choices whenever Valen faced danger or physical which was bit... disappointing, reinforcing the idea that she was in fact "Daddy's precious little princess." Except for the final scenes, she rarely stood up and physically fought and was constantly encouraged to step aside "run away" which got a bit dull after a while. I actually liked how Valen came across in Gil's story arc best, because she was far more proactive - freeing herself from kidnapping etc. helping him with his project, reading books together.

Cain and Valen = Cain alternately played father-figure and big brother and seemed to have no life outside of Valen. I like the teasing etc. and I liked Cain's character a great deal. However, when it came to romance I preferred the way that Cheryl had to really fight, push and work to get Oswald's regard, whereas Cain is always on Valen's side from the get go so there's no struggle.
Klavios and Valen = Valen did all the mothering there.
Cyrus and Valen = Idealised big sister with Cyrus putting her on quite a pedestal.
Volg and Valen = One of the more interesting dynamics. They sparked off each other and I liked this arc.
Nazim and Valen = I enjoyed these two together and thought they complimented each other.

I liked all of the arcs and the way that you differentiated the dynamics of each relationship that Valen had so that each one felt distinct rather than interchangeable. (It makes perfect sense to me that the type of relationship that she'd have with Nazim would be radically different than the one she had with say, Cyrus or Klavios. So I thought it was very well done. But her relationship with Gil was probably my favourite because of the way that they interacted (the conflict and the coming together) and because there was something extremely low key, down to earth yet believable about them. I got a greater sense of real equality between Valen and Gil.
Music: Very good overall, with with some great themes. (
Nice to hear Dermilion's Carousel again
and I agree with Amertrya's singling out Cyrus' theme (Battle of Honour) for special mention. I thought that the music did what music is supposed to in a Ren'ai game. (Create mood/atmosphere and emotionally propel the story along.) I can't think of any instances where the music didn't suit the situation or setting. I was a little disappointed though that the music box theme that you used early on in the demo didn't feature in the actual game. I thought it was a great piece of music. (I'm pretty sure I've played all paths and endings.)

Typos, grammar etc. This is probably my biggest criticism of the game. I realise that this was a much bigger venture than Realm of Thanos, but even still the game could have been much better in this respect. Inevitably with a game this size you'll get the odd error, but there were times when the dialogue didn't feel as if had been proof-read at all... (i.e. non-words like 'conspiration'?) and it was actually distracting which was a shame. With all the effort that went into everything else this should have been more polished than it was. And no, I don't agree that

The artwork and CGs were fine to me. You have your style and it works for the story. I'm looking forward to the third installment. All in all, a really good game.