Stalemate

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
tkhnoman
Regular

Stalemate

#1 Post by tkhnoman »

-The Game was deleted -
Last edited by tkhnoman on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am, edited 7 times in total.

boboverlord

Re: Stalemate

#2 Post by boboverlord »

Oh it looks good! I'm downloading!

Another
Regular

#3 Post by Another »

tkhnoman wrote:In this game, you are a boy who already have a girlfriend. You also decided to help a mahou shoujo (magical girl) for being her mascot and battle the monsters.
For some reason, this plot reminded me the anime Wingman, which I really like. Thus, I was pretty sure I had downloaded a novel where a super hero would crush nasty villains and save the world... (Yeah, I know, I'm quite immature... :lol: ) But although this game is really different from what I expected, I'm not sad because it's in fact much better! ;)
I find the story deep and very interesting. Setting the relation between a writer and his/her own characters in imbricated universes is really ingenious. It's sometimes confusing, so it requires the player to be attentive, but this is definitely not a bad thing.
I've been surprised more than once by the different twists. And it's amazing how reaching one ending can give a new perception of the whole story.
Default ending:
This has long been the only one I got, and I would probably have believed that there wasn't any other ending if I hadn't read the help file. It's good that the game isn't too easy, but showing how many endings have been reached so far might be interesting (if you don't want to implement a gallery, maybe you would consider an indicator in the settings screen?).

Stalemate Freedom:
I found this chapter quite sad, especially as Clare is my favorite character and there's no way to stay with her. But this ending is still very nice anyway.

Stalemate Life:
I couldn't understand one of Elecia's reaction in response to Picary until I got this ending. I just didn't get at first that she had multiple personality (maybe this could be more developed in the previous chapters).
Fanservice! Goooooood... (Oh no, could I be a 'Lust' type? :oops:)

Stalemate Love:
This is my favorite ending, the one that I consider as the "true" one, not because it occurs in the "real" world, but because it explains everything that was still obscure. At first, incarnating another character was quite awkward. Then I remembered that psychologists consider that we are every character in our dreams, so this finally makes sense. This last twist is the cleverest one. Bravissimo!
I also like how the interface is both elegant and practical. You took care of details that many developers would have ignored (because they would have considered them minor), and it considerably enhances the gameplay. Thank you for the multiple screen size with different ratios, it's great to be able to play this game without the ugly black borders on different computers!

You've made an excellent work so far. There are only two things that I regret:
- The Engrish, of course. Such a wonderful story deserves better, so I'm eager to download the edit.
- The lack of sound, especially in the action scenes (fights). The fact there's no music in the title screen also surprised me (come on, the girls are wearing headphones! :lol:). And sound effects would probably be better than onomatopoeia, when a character slams a door or knocks on it.

Please note that I had some trouble to run the game on Mac OS 10.5.6. After I decompressed the archive with UnRarX, I tried to open the .app file, but the application stubbornly refused to launch itself. Fortunately, rebuilding the project with the Ren'Py Launcher was sufficient to get a version that works on my system. I suppose the problem comes from the archiving process, but it's only a guess. Better ask Py'Tom about this issue.

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#4 Post by vaanknight »

Ack! how cute! if your editor is taking his/her time, I offer myself to edit as much of it as you wish. :]

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#5 Post by teacup »

Your game is really good ^^
This story is unique, very thoughtful and smart. I didn't expect that. Although I have trouble getting all the endings.
And the art is so cute as well~ I don't mind your grammar mistake, because I have that problem too. It would have been good with some music, maybe you can add that?
Anyway, great job! I like it a lot!

tkhnoman
Regular

#6 Post by tkhnoman »

Thanks for the review guys ~ ^^

Hmm... I can't test on another OS, maybe i can't do anything for that issue at MAC.

And for the edit, i asked him, and it looks like he still willing to do it.
So, it's closed for the 'edit' things for now.

And yeah, for the music & sound, if you guys think that you may support with your composed music, then let me know.
I just don't want to use a 'shared' music(like TAM and such), and want it to be unique.

Another
Regular

#7 Post by Another »

Concerning the Mac issue, it's not very serious as the Ren'Py Launcher can still launch the game. I just don't know if the problem comes from the RAR file, from UnRarX or from the download itself (I have sometimes troubles as my Internet connection is rather slow).

Thus, don't worry about this right now... If other Mac users report this, you can still upload the ZIP file generated by the Ren'Py Launcher instead of a RAR file (the size of the archives is 34 Mo for the ZIP and 32 Mo for the RAR, so that's not a big difference).

tkhnoman
Regular

#8 Post by tkhnoman »

Hmm... I see.

I did use the RAR because thinking of reducing the size. I will try to just upload the ZIP file next time.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

The problem comes from the .rar file, or more precisely, the fact that windows cannot represent the executable bit that's stored in the .zip file. As a result, when you recompressed the zip file to a rar, it lost information needed to run on mac and linux.

I will point out that the launcher does explicitly warn against this. :-)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tkhnoman
Regular

#10 Post by tkhnoman »

I see. So it really because of RAR.

@PyTom:
I will add one more thing then.

If you add a file on the game folder that contain this:

Code: Select all

init 3 python hide:
    config.developer = True
Then the developer really will be true.
It's not that we can see the script and edit it, but we still can do much thing like D (developer menu) and > (fast skip).

I did an open source one and didn't really care about this, but some people must be don't want this to happen.
So, maybe you can come out with something for this?

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Cain0425 »

it nice art work but to easy get the ending you want it need a more story to sorry

vasudaprime

#12 Post by vasudaprime »

I'll post my thoughts in a bit, but I thought I should point out that the game crashes when I click on the 'preferences' button. Here's the crash log file:
I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Exception: ui.close() called when expecting a widget.

While running game code:
- script at line 725 of D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy
- python at line 729 of D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy.
- script at line 75 of D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\Stalemate/game/layoutz/two_column_preferences_mod.rpym

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\execution.py", line 234, in run
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\ast.py", line 558, in execute
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
File "D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy", line 729, in <module>
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\game.py", line 292, in call_in_new_context
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\execution.py", line 234, in run
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\ast.py", line 558, in execute
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
File "D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\Stalemate/game/layoutz/two_column_preferences_mod.rpym", line 75, in <module>
File "D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\Stalemate/game/layoutz/classic_preferences_common_mod.rpym", line 53, in _prefs_screen_run
File "D:\Visual Novels\English Works\Stalemate\renpy\ui.py", line 171, in close
Exception: ui.close() called when expecting a widget.

While running game code:
- script at line 725 of D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy
- python at line 729 of D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy.
- script at line 75 of D:\tkhnoman\Gravico\creator\Story\Stalemate/game/layoutz/two_column_preferences_mod.rpym

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e

tkhnoman
Regular

#13 Post by tkhnoman »

I wonder, because i didn't get that warning.
I feel like i can't solve the problem by looking at this.

The problem may lie around on classic_preferences_common_mod.rpym.
But i checked the file myself, and it seems there is no problem.

Let's just try this. Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jowt0j5ne5w
and put it to game/layoutz folder. I hope that will solve the problem at Preferences.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#14 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

I point, about the PyTom's explanation of .rar archives's misbehaviour, that at least on a Linux environment, there's only needed to chmod u+x the three files:
<name_of_game>.sh
<game dir>/lib/python
<game dir>/linux-x86/python.real

and the game runs well.

HTH, and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

CandyStar
Regular
Projects: Unnamed Stalker vs Mystery Game! :D

#15 Post by CandyStar »

Hmmm maybe this is a normal word in the visual novel world, but what is a
mahou shoujo?
Sorry haha I wasn't sure if that was something game-specific or not....

By the way - LUFT IS ADORABLE!!!!!!! I want a plushie of him. Hahaha. :P

Umm... but...
the name Elecia Aicele is kind of cheesy, don't you think? Having the last name backwards? haha....
Very interesting game, with lots of twists!
I would really like to meet the writer, though.... maybe I just haven't gotten that ending, but the story seems undeveloped without going to see the writer and solve all of the mysteries. I will keep playing and see if I get that ending, if it exists.
-Jesse
I'm working on my first visual novel! Boy stalks girl. Girl offers to date boy if boy solves puzzle. Game commences! Click here to encourage meee -> Hooray! Attention!