Café

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Café

#1 Post by Showsni »

This is just a minigame, really, but I thought it might be interesting. It's unobfuscated, and anyone can use it as they like (code and pictures, though I think it's doubtful many people will want to use my MSPaint pictures.)

Anyway! This is, like I said, a minigame based on a café. You play a stick figure whose job it is to deliver food to the hungry customers! It's mostly a memorisation game. I don't know, you could use it in a minigame if the character in your VN had a part time job or something. You'd probably want to make better art first though. Let me know if it doesn't work or anything.

There's probably better ways to do this, but I'm not really a programmer. I just find workarounds for every problem I hit until stuff works. :D
cafe-win32.zip
(3.82 MiB) Downloaded 383 times
cafe-mac.zip
(6.88 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
cafe-linux-x86.tar.bz2
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

machinist
Regular

Re: Café

#2 Post by machinist »

haha u gotta remember fast at beginng after that u just have to keep eyes on the customers...cute game

CandyStar
Regular
Projects: Unnamed Stalker vs Mystery Game! :D

#3 Post by CandyStar »

Maybe I couldn't figure it out.... but I went through the chef's dialogue, then for like a half second I saw something above their heads, and the rest of the time I just walked back and forth and the customers said "Where's my dinner" .... I couldn't get the chef to talk to me. o.O;;;
I'm working on my first visual novel! Boy stalks girl. Girl offers to date boy if boy solves puzzle. Game commences! Click here to encourage meee -> Hooray! Attention!

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Showsni »

Hm, half a second? Your computer must run a lot faster than mine! I guess that's what I get for basing the speed of things on the processing power. You can fiddle with the numbers in the script to get the images to stay longer; I think the number 40 is the one that needs increasing for that. Or you could add a proper timer. The chef should speak to you if you hit the far right hand of the screen... Hm, I can't think of a reason why he wouldn't. Unless possibly changing the screen resolution would stop him talking? I shouldn't have thought so, though...

iskander

#5 Post by iskander »

In my case (downloaded the linux version) the initial order presentation is way too fast. Afterwards it's ok, though.

Can't one use a timer function, instead of something based on processing speed?

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#6 Post by DragoonHP »

And there was one more error in the Windows one, at least there was for me. Sometimes you have to hit enter five-six times for the message box to disappear.
CandyStar wrote:Maybe I couldn't figure it out.... but I went through the chef's dialogue, then for like a half second I saw something above their heads, and the rest of the time I just walked back and forth and the customers said "Where's my dinner" .... I couldn't get the chef to talk to me. o.O;;;
It happened to me too. Just go and hit the chef three or four times and he will start talking.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#7 Post by sake-bento »

This is actually a pretty clever premise. It could use some polishing in terms of gameplay, but I like it.

Do you plan to do any more work on this?

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Showsni »

Well, maybe. I kind of threw it together after seeing a question in the Game Makers section.

The initial showing is too fast but later ones are okay? Hm. Possibly the reshowing of the man at different positions when he's moving slows it down enough that the pictures stay for a decent amount of time. If you change script.rpy inside the game folder in a text editor so that the

Code: Select all

label start:
    $ leftpressed = False
    $ spacepressed = False
    $ rightpressed = False
at the start reads

Code: Select all

label start:
    $ leftpressed = False
    $ spacepressed = False
    $ rightpressed = True
do the initial pictures stay longer? (It should now start off with the person moving to the right instead of being stationary).
Failing that, you can change the $ distance = 0 line to $ distance = 650, which should start off with you talking to the chef (and the pictures can't vanish whilst you're talking to him).

As for why the chef wouldn't respond first time, I have no idea. The distance variable starts at 0. On a single run through the loop, it checks to see if you're pressed right; if you have, distance is increased by 10 (provided it's less than 650). It then checks to see if distance == 650 and you're not carrying anything; if so, you talk to the chef. The the loop repeats. (It checks a few more things too.) If it's possible to talk to the chef after a few tries it can't be a problem with 650 being unobtainable; so I don't know why it wouldn't talk to the chef any other time. It should be impossible not to talk to him if you're as far right as you can get and not carrying anything. Possibly it runs through the loop so fast it's skipping code? I don't know. You could see if increasing the number in the line 610 $ renpy.pause(0.000001) (or some number of 0, I forget) to 0.1 or 0.01 helps; that should slow down each iteration of the loop anyway, which would help with the images not staying long enough problem.

There was a problem with the message box disappearing then immediately coming back in earlier versions but I thought I fixed that... Oh, unless you press space again after you've started talking to them. Is that what happened? Or possibly holding space just a little too long would do it... Ah, once more, if your processing speed is faster than mine, you could flash past the thing stopping space being picked up as held so fast that you don't have time to let go of space. Hm, maybe I should have foreseen that. I'll post a fix...

Okay, I think the script.rpy file below should fix the not disappearing speech box problem, and hopefully the too fast initial pictures problem. Just replace the other script file in the game subfolder. (Will that work?)
script.rpy
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 132 times