Sour Prince

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alphonse
Regular

Re: Sour Prince

#16 Post by Alphonse »

- ALPHONSE'S MASS-RESPONSE POST (Because she didn't realize anyone was playing this until now) -

@Harumi Fujyoshi: I was wondering if anyone would get that. Klavier Gavin is <3. ^-^ Also, I'm happy you liked my art style! The story was short because there was this thread (I can't find it now) for people who wanted to start making visual novels and it suggested I start with a short game instead of biting off more than you can chew (something I do often, literally and metaphorically. I think I'll avoid making WIP threads for that reason). And I didn't want to bore anyone.

I also hope to make another visual novel~

@Cain0425: It's okay! You weren't being mean, that's a legitimate complaint if you don't know what a kinetic novel is. And I say stuff before I think too.

@Esphirisa: I'm so glad to hear that my VN is an exception. And that you like my art, too. I thought people would've disliked it or something. Cookies make everything better. (I like Mason too, but I wonder about his skills as a boyfriend with a personality like that!)

@Quiet_Riot: It did?! I checked it like three times for errors, but I'm using Windows and you're using a Mac. I don't know anything about Macs or computers though, and you didn't get a traceback thing, so I don't know how to fix that, I'm sorry. (Also, I thought the jazz and such might clash with the visuals but I guess not.)

@Topagae: The colors are rather bright... I love bright colors but I was worried they might be too bright. (I was mostly thinking about the textbox.) It was a valid concern, then. (When you say "poor eyesight", I guess you don't mean you're nearsighted or farsighted or anything like that?) Maybe try adjusting your monitor's/graphics driver's brightness. Though, adjusting your monitor is a bit of trouble to go through for one short game...

Quiet_Riot
Projects: Coming Soon to a Theater Near You Summer 2011...

#17 Post by Quiet_Riot »

Ahh thats ok. it didn't bother me. if it would of been a long one I would've been a little peeved. I have a tendency to not save my games. :/ I'm sure I could do a traceback thing...but idk how. I'm not that great with computers.

I like jazz music, I like it alot better than what some VNs put on so usually I have my speakers on mute. Glad I didn't for once. :D
I'm available for beta testing, writing, logos, and such.
I lovee VNs!
More specifically GxB VNs
Completed Anime Series:ParaKiss<3, Vampire Knight
WIP Anime: Hanasakeru Seishounen, Junjo Romantica

salis
Regular
Projects: Too many~!

#18 Post by salis »

Like many here I'm usually not one for playing kinetic novels, but yours has changed my view on the matter entirely. Sour Prince is delightful; the dialogue is charming and well written and had me laughing out loud several times, (especially at, "My inner pride? Well, it just died.") it has such a cute style, likable characters, and a great storyline. It was short, and since it's your first time that's probably best, but I would have really loved to have played more. I'm now fully convinced that kinetic novels can be just as fun and entertaining to play as visual novels. Great job for your first time and I do hope you continue to make more in the future!

Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

#19 Post by Starling »

I loved this! I especially liked that even though it was a kinetic novel it had the feeling of a visual novel.

Story: I thought it was adorable and I enjoyed it immensely. The ending felt a bit rushed, but other than that it's pretty well paced for a short story.

Art: The backgrounds and sprites and overall feel matched quite nicely. Character sprites aren't perfect, but they are quite nice to look at, your faces/heads are very well done.

I will definitely play your next game :D And I will probably reply this one a few times.
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

Alphonse
Regular

#20 Post by Alphonse »

@Salis: It actually made you laugh out loud? o///o Wow, is it that good? It's nice knowing that I actually made someone laugh.
Starling wrote:The ending felt a bit rushed, but other than that it's pretty well paced for a short story.
orz. Yeah, I'm not too good at endings. If my problem isn't deciding when the middle should turn into the end, it's thinking of the end itself. I either drag it on too long or make it too abrupt! Isn't there a tutorial or a book on something like this? >_<;
Art: The backgrounds and sprites and overall feel matched quite nicely. Character sprites aren't perfect, but they are quite nice to look at, your faces/heads are very well done.
Aye, I was worried about my proportions most of all. At least it wasn't (or hopefully it wasn't) distractingly bad. (I was most concerned about Mason's sprite because I'm not that good at drawing guys yet.) I'll try to improve on drawing bodies.

Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

#21 Post by Starling »

Bodies are no where near my cup of tea so I can understand them being not as good. (They are the bane of my artist existence dammit D<... well that and HANDS grrr)

Mason is definitely the best sprite in the game so GOOD JOB :D The friends are where I noticed it the most, but it wasn't distracting from the game so I wouldn't worry about that :)
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

Another
Regular

#22 Post by Another »

This extract summarizes quite well my reactions when I was reading Sour Prince:
"I tried to resist a chuckle but failed."
To be honest, I had such a good time that I often burst out laughing (NSFW, thus) :lol:. A polished interface, a nice story with pleasant characters, an excellent choice of music... For a first VN, it's a success! That's why I wished the novel would have been longer... :D
But somehow, I can't help wondering what Kylie will look like in a few months if Mason continues to feed her cookies and cakes... Ending the story before it happens is probably a wise choice... :mrgreen:
I really appreciate the direct access to the epilogue. That's a feature I'd like to see in a VN with mutiple endings (I know of a few VNs with endings galleries, but none of them contained links allowing to replay the different epilogues). I can only hope this will inspire other authors...

Hey, you should point out that this game was made with Ren'Py 6.11! I only realized that when I accidentally resized the window. 8)
BTW, I also got a certain number of crashes on my Mac, but downloading the windows archive and recompiling the game with the official release of Ren'Py 6.11.0 solved the problem.

Alphonse
Regular

#23 Post by Alphonse »

Another wrote:Hey, you should point out that this game was made with Ren'Py 6.11! I only realized that when I accidentally resized the window. 8)
BTW, I also got a certain number of crashes on my Mac, but downloading the windows archive and recompiling the game with the official release of Ren'Py 6.11.0 solved the problem.
...oops. That would explain the crashes other people are getting. I totally forgot that I was using a pre-release and the whole "yeaaah, you really shouldn't release stuff with pre-release versions of Ren'Py" thing. >-< Should I redo the distribution things? ...but uploading was such a pain. ;_; Megaupload and Mediafire are so evil to me. And I'd feel bad if I put this on the Ren'Ai archive. Well, if it gave a lot of Mac users hell to play it, I'll have to reupload it (just on Mediafire this time because Megaupload is always "You don't have any files here" for a good while until it's like "Oh, wait, you do".)

Prince Vern

#24 Post by Prince Vern »

^__^ Wow, what a fun piece! The art is great and the story is adorable, made me chuckle quite a bit ^o^ For your first VN, this is really great, you must do more!

Celestine
Veteran

#25 Post by Celestine »

Really cute kinectic. It's funny and really adorable.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.