Frozen Essence: V.2 uploaded

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Frozen Essence: V.2 uploaded

#1 Post by VenusEclipse »

Walkthroughs are on the first two forum topics here.
Try playing it first before using the walkthrough. The VN is almost straight forward once you tried it once. You should really use it only to get to some endings you missed. XD

-------------------------------
Aug 10th 2010:

Summary:
In a world balanced by essence, a girl is unsealed from her crystal prison. With no recollection of anything. Much of the world is new to her, not to mention people are after her. Whether she finds her way out of this or finds love, it's up to the player to decide her fate. With the guidance and protection from the bodyguards and the oracle within her realm, her journey begin.

Genre: Fantasy, otome (gxb), visual novel

Rating: Teen, with minor blood and violence

Features

12+ different endings
75+ CGs
Original sound track (22 songs)
4 obtainable guys + 1 hidden character (reminder, no yuri, no yaoi!)
Approx: 60 mins - 80 mins per path. It depends on how fast you read.

Mina
The main character without a memory (sounds cliche, eh? ;)). The player will decide her fate with the choices that come up.

Rune
Rune is laid back, but he is serious bodyguard. He's quite protective and most things don't seem to affect him.

Caius
Caius is quite chaotic, and seems to enjoy the misery of others for some reason. He's the more unpredictable bodyguard who does as he pleases.

Aurelius
A charming, polite and famous soldier comes from another land. He is optimistic, and he loves his ladies.

Varian
A very serious man who doesn't seem to stop working. Not much is known about him and his mood is quite grim at times.

+ Hidden Character

Screenshots

ImageImageImage

Download (approx: 130 mb)

http://unbrokenhours.com/fe/

Credits
Art:
VenusEclipse
DreamerAlias - Weaponry and Logo Design.

Script:
VenusEclipse
Aleema - Interface Help. Helped made my GUI look pretty.

Music:
Carmen Chow (aka Lykaios): Did Good Morning, Hopeless, Legend, Oracle, Together, Reveal the Truth
VenusEclipse: Did all tracks not listed by Lykaios

Testers: (Also gave opinions and grammatical checks
Aleema - Windows XP
Riviera - Windows XP
i82fast - Linux
Carmen Chow - Mac
DreamerAlias - Windows Vista

Special Thanks:
i82fast
Free resources online
Lemma Soft Community
PyTom
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 34 times in total.

Abeiramar
Regular

Re: Frozen Essence

#2 Post by Abeiramar »

Wow, this one looks good! I will definitely give it a try *downloads* !

aya001
Regular

#3 Post by aya001 »

downloading, I'll try it. To see how it is.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

Finally! I've been waiting for this. . .
*downloads*

Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

#5 Post by Arithra »

Yay! I've been waiting for this!
only ten more minutes
Please visit my projects Perios- Chained Sorceress
and Final Banquet now with demo!

And my blog for more updates!

chelxoxo
Regular
Projects: Fantasia RoT novelisation, editor for Fantasia 3... and a secret :p

#6 Post by chelxoxo »

OMG YAY!!! I've been reaaaally looking forward to this! ^____^ I can't wait to play! *dowloads immediately*
Turns out my unicorn was a donkey with a plunger stuck to its head.

Qookies
Regular

#7 Post by Qookies »

It's finally out! Hooray!

NatsukiDeath
Veteran
Completed: Life's....Complex
Projects: "Another Way VN" , "Phantom of the Opera VN" , "LoveChub?!"

#8 Post by NatsukiDeath »

Yay!~ A new game to play Happy Happy joy JOY!~

I'm going to love this!!!!! XD

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#9 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Congrats on the release! I'm downloading right now! It looks AWESOME. ^^b

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#10 Post by Aleema »

AAAHHH! AHHH! SUPER CONGRATS!! Image
I'll download the new version and play through some of the altered paths ...

~~~ Review Edit ~~~

Venus! Your game. Yes. Very yes.

I liked it. :D

I've never been one to be a collector in VNs. Going through each and every path is exhausting and boring. Testing this game has shown me that I was lacking an interest in those other games before. I was honestly intrigued by ALL the characters. I wanted to know each and every twist and turn. Even the "bad" endings felt so satisfying!

Art: Your revised sprites showed a LOT of improvement. And the White Order sprites were handsome, handsome men, which just goes to show how awesome your drawing has gotten. I look forward to future games with art like this. <3 The amount of CGs you have is wonderful! I'm envious of it, since I can't draw myself, so I can't put my ideas on paper like you can. The animations were good (I loved the life essence one) and effectual for when they were used. Simulation of battle was also super effective as well! The pixelated blurring was weird and didn't fit, but I can't think of anything else Ren'Py offers than could replace it besides just a fade to black, which wasn't the point. But I accepted it as convention, so no biggie. I also really liked the different poses and gestures you gave the guys. They were very realistic and cute. Perfect for their situations. Interface-wise, I liked your GUI. :) I would have loved separate colors for the names of characters, though.

Music: GUYS. SHE DID THE MUSIC HERSELF (with some help from Lyka). Isn't that awesome? I was going to compliment your music choice before I learned that, now I worship you. The music was so ... unintrusive. It was pleasant and suiting. It set the atmosphere perfectly. I could have listened to it over and over, and I did. :D WAAAAOGHdf <- sound of me drooling over your awesomeness.

Sound: Only gripe I had about your game is the slap/hpunch thing you did all the time. The shaking of the screen was fine, since it accented what was going on in the script, but the slappy sound that played EVERY TIME was often far from relevant to what was happening. I had to turn sound effects off because it annoyed me for a while when replaying. =\ But that's my only really "bad" thing I can say after having tested your game, and that's not too bad, is it? =P

Story: I'll split it up by path, in case people haven't completed them all. Seriously, don't casually read them if you haven't gotten to a "Light" ending for them. Check the CG gallery if you don't know what is who's path.

Life Path (Only read if you got the "True" ending):
We've been over this one behind-the-scenes. It's supposedly the mainstream/cannon ending, but it originally felt like one of the least romantic paths. After having achieved the "True" ending and after your changes, it's the most beautiful path. I really, really liked the True ending. I think that's how it should have gone. As soon as Rune told me that he hated living forever, then I thought "YOU'RE IN LUCK, BUDDY", so when I got the "light ending" I was a bit unsatisfied. The true ending is the only way to go. The changes you made to his path are *squee*! Pulling her into the pushes and then, lol, groping her. Genius tactic to really up their relationship quickly. A very wise choice, along with the added "I'll carry" you and resting in between the fighting. It really felt well-paced after that, and Rune was coming back to life. I liked it!! Major improvement! <3
Earth Path:
I was pretty turned off on Caius from the intro before the cave sealing. He seemed really pyscho and crazy, and just unappealing all around. Why my girl would call his name or save him is beyond me -- BUT I'm glad she did!! This was my favorite path for a long time. I love the secluded-with-your-sweetie story mechanic, because it's all about character development, and that's the good stuff. I admit the waking up with him next to you in bed was the best thing ever, ever. Seriously. The fact that he's so underdeveloped when it comes to interacting with others is SO intrigued. "sometimes it feels good to touch another person's body" coupled with "SO LEMME DO IT I'M IN CHARGE!!" (not direct quotes, lol) made me melt. Him just randomly touching/exploring her is love in its purest forms, since he's obviously never felt it before. Of course, it wasn't "love" in the romantic sense, but an infatuation and posessiveness. While being posessive is scary because it usualy degrades the person to a mere object, I didn't feel like that was the case for Mina. I think he just really doesn't understand what he feels, so it must be because it's his territory they're touching. I could go on, but I'll make the other path's jealous. Lala ... I liked it. <3 On another note ... I still have not gotten his additional festival CGs ... I may stab someone soon, Cai-style!!
Air Path:
Aurel instantly intrigued me when you introduced him. So I had a lot of expectations of him, lol. He was a sweet guy, and a real hero throughout it all. And it's nice that you didn't do the cliche "Lady Killer to One Woman Only" ending, though his light ending was kinda disappointing because I never felt like there was a real romantic connection between him and Mina, perhaps because he was a womanizer, and perhaps because he clearly said that he just found her interesting, rather than appealing. I know, I know, this is where you shoot me, right? I didn't bring it up in testing, because it honestly wasn't THAT big of a deal. And it's your story, not a bug or a typo, it wasn't confusing, it just was. I figure I liked it less because I liked other paths more. And there's so much more to the game that it doesn't matter. Virgil's exposition was REALLY interesting, though. It's good to see that Oryon was really just a super fanatic that even his underlings were like "um ... jerk." Also, forgot to mention this in Earth path, but Cascade is awesome! I was skeptical about her when she first appeared in Earth path for me, like she would become the temptress/other woman/just be evil, and she totally wasn't. She was a caring, thinking, intelligent, STRONG woman, and that's great. :3
Fire Path:
First time I saw Varian, I went "FFFF!!" because I knew I had to stay on Rune's path for that go. xD I even clicked through all his dialogue really fast because I didn't want to enjoy it yet. :3 Good thing, though, he has a totally different exchange if you refuse Rune/Cai's help earlier. I'm still wondering what the hell he was dragging around the first day, but I'll assume that it was White Order stuff, or essence as a weight to it. I was very happy to see this was another "alone time with hot guy" scenario. Again, my favoriote. He was really tsuntsun, pushing her away. I didn't understand why, like Mina, but it also really intrigued me, like Mina. After learning it all, I'm surprised he wasn't even more mean to her, haha! The choking scene, where Mina passes out ... that was awesome in the "got goosebumps" kind of way. The CG of them sitting opposite the same door was also *swoon*. I felt he was really conflicted, but his morals about the death sphere was getting in the way of how he felt for the person harboring it. There was a big info dump after Mina passed out, between Var and Virg (and them having similar names didn't help my eyes, lol). The ending was pretty sweet and in-character. They just travel together, helping each other, just like a husband and wife pretty far into their marriage.
Water Path:
If you're reading this and you just want to know who the heck Water path is, then go back to the game and try not to capture anybody. If you did get water path, OMGGGG, was it not the CUTEST thing EVER?? Totally my favorite path. Hands down. I can tell you did this path last, Venus, because your art was the best. Zareh's kissy scenes were to die for. And his "dark/bad" ending CG is my favorite out of the entire game. >_< So. Awesome. I really had no liking for the oracle for the first few paths (including some death paths), that really just painted him out to be this cardboard plot device that did anything the MC wanted because it wouldn't progress the plot if he didn't. Now I know why he was by her side, helping her and everything. His transition from little boy, to teenager, to ... Zomigod Zareh was pure sex, I'm sorry. He looks so handsome all grown up. Him being permanently bound to be ordered around was so climactic, because I figured there was no way this is going to end happily, but, somehow you did it, in a really clever way, too! Since it was still a happy ending, with the threat of the White Order gone, and having a full explanation of Mina's orgins, it was the most satisfying path. I really liked it, and it totally came out of the blue for me. I thought I was going to get another Death ending, but then some really hot guy came out and kissed me. Win.
Death Path (I only got dark ending):
Still haven't gotten the Light death path. I even followed your instructions. D: Sucks. But what I did get was the naughty dark ending, that was a satisfying fanservice. Needs adult fanfiction. Oryon + chains + lolita dress - Someone get on it.
All in all, a very successful, wonderful game. I know you are probably an emotional rollercoaster right now, but trust me when I say it was an amazing game. Your effort and love is clear, and I don't think the time I played through it was wasted in the least.

Again, congrats on such a big release. I'm sure it feels good to get it out there!
Kudos. <3

aya001
Regular

#11 Post by aya001 »

I really loved it, I already finished the path of
Zareh

Are you working, or plan on doing another game???? Because, you really are good ^^

Qookies
Regular

#12 Post by Qookies »

I got Caius' light ending. How do I get his dark ending?

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#13 Post by sayuri »

I just finished my first playthrough
What I'm guessing is Caius' bad ending
and I'm crying. The game is really awesome ^^. I'll go back and play some more and hopefully get a better ending :P.

aya001
Regular

#14 Post by aya001 »

Please someone can help me??? When I was doing the path of Rune,
I got an error when
He told me to get his hand to get the essence, I said yes, a little later...
the game shotdown and this window pops up... Someone knows what it is???

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

TypeError: zip argument #1 must support iteration

Edit: Version 2 don't have this error ^^. Thanks Venus ^^
Last edited by aya001 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#15 Post by VenusEclipse »

Does it still happen Aya001?

Edit: Nevermind! I got it! I will reupload all the files. text deleted so it doesn't waste reading time.
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.