Frozen Essence: V.2 uploaded

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Stargirl18
Regular

Re: Frozen Essence: V.2 uploaded

#181 Post by Stargirl18 »

Hello i have problem whit Rune's endings. How can i get Rune's best ending :?: on Frozen Essence

From Stargirl18 :)

Mikan
Veteran

#182 Post by Mikan »

First few minutes: :| everything I expected to happen happened. You may want to try to make your plot less obvious.
Maybe it needs a dozen or so lines explaining the background of those soldiers and where they are headed to distract from what is way too obvious.
Is the game a simile to drug addiction? The girl is behaving like a junkie. Awkwardly, I named my main character "Alexander". OTL No one told me it was a girl MC.

You have quite a few sentence fragments and poorly placed commas that are very distracting. I would try to pull out more "so, "s and "well, "s too. They may be common in speech but in reading they're an obstacle, and it gives your characters a bratty attitude.

For such an important figure the MC is, she is pushed around and treated like a kid.
There's also too much information being dumped in the first menu (why should I care what a hex thing is? Give me a motivation in the story.)

;) in any event, kudos for finishing a game.

ElementalButterfly
Regular

#183 Post by ElementalButterfly »

Mikan wrote:OTL No one told me it was a girl MC.
You should have read the description.

sporkysan
Regular

#184 Post by sporkysan »

Ack! I've been meaning to play this game for so long. And I was just going to start it, but I got hooked early on and I ended up finishing one round. The story was so compelling.

I've only finished the Light Ending for the Water Path. I need to go back and do the other paths too. Arg! I was so engrossed in the story I didn't think to stop and save.

Spoilers for the Water Path
So I was really curious about the mysterious Oracle and I pursued him doggedly. I was half convinced that I was just going to end up wasting my time and be upset that there was probably a very attractive man behind that cloak that I was missing out on. I'm so glad you mad him such an awesome character.

Zareh's story and reveal really surprised me. I didn't see that coming at all. I almost cried a few times. I was so certain that it was going to end badly. I guess it isn't a completely happy ending since he is now deaf and all, but at least he is still alive.
Okay. Enough gushing over this game. I need to go back and play again. And later I need to gush more about all the other awesome things about it, like the music and special effects.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#185 Post by VenusEclipse »

For the writing, I have some editors to proof it at this very moment. Doing it myself again will not solve the problems in the writing. The "well" s and the "so" s give her a bratty attitude? I didn't see it that way. Thanks. :mrgreen:
For the beginning of the story, what happens is in the summary so it being obvious is okay.

@stargirl
http://www.unbrokenhours.com/frozenesse ... rough.html

ElementalButterfly
Regular

#186 Post by ElementalButterfly »

sporkysan wrote:Ack! I've been meaning to play this game for so long. And I was just going to start it, but I got hooked early on and I ended up finishing one round. The story was so compelling.

I've only finished the Light Ending for the Water Path. I need to go back and do the other paths too. Arg! I was so engrossed in the story I didn't think to stop and save.

So I was really curious about the mysterious Oracle and I pursued him doggedly. I was half convinced that I was just going to end up wasting my time and be upset that there was probably a very attractive man behind that cloak that I was missing out on. I'm so glad you mad him such an awesome character.

Zareh's story and reveal really surprised me. I didn't see that coming at all. I almost cried a few times. I was so certain that it was going to end badly. I guess it isn't a completely happy ending since he is now deaf and all, but at least he is still alive.
Okay. Enough gushing over this game. I need to go back and play again. And later I need to gush more about all the other awesome things about it, like the music and special effects.
and he also said that he
"won't let go of her.. forever!"
O_O

sporkysan
Regular

#187 Post by sporkysan »

ElementalButterfly wrote:and he also said that he
"won't let go of her.. forever!"
O_O
I'm oddly okay with that. I hope he doesn't.

I just finished the Dark Water Ending. I like that one a lot too, even though it is sad. It just shows what happens when love and protectiveness goes too far and becomes obsession.

Who's path should I play next? Hmm... Or perhaps some fanfiction is in order.

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#188 Post by sayuri »

Mikan wrote:First few minutes: :| everything I expected to happen happened. You may want to try to make your plot less obvious.
Maybe it needs a dozen or so lines explaining the background of those soldiers and where they are headed to distract from what is way too obvious.
Is the game a simile to drug addiction? The girl is behaving like a junkie. Awkwardly, I named my main character "Alexander". OTL No one told me it was a girl MC.

You have quite a few sentence fragments and poorly placed commas that are very distracting. I would try to pull out more "so, "s and "well, "s too. They may be common in speech but in reading they're an obstacle, and it gives your characters a bratty attitude.

For such an important figure the MC is, she is pushed around and treated like a kid.
There's also too much information being dumped in the first menu (why should I care what a hex thing is? Give me a motivation in the story.)

;) in any event, kudos for finishing a game.
I agree with you on a bunch of this stuff, but I think I can explain the reason why MC is treated like a child.
Mina was asleep/sealed/whatever you want to call it for a long, long time. She doesn't remember her past and doesn't know her current situation at all. Under those circumstances, she has to trust the other characters to help her. Not to mention that Mina needs essence to live and she can't do it by herself. I think in certain paths she is a bit more independent and will disagree with the love interest to stand for her own beliefs.
Just my thoughts though.

Wishie

#189 Post by Wishie »

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Frozen Essence was way more cool than I expected. To demonstrate how much I liked it, I started play at... Let's see, 10ish? and I couldn't stop playing until 2 am! D:!

I played the Light Path, and I must say...
color=#FFFFFF]It's really sad! I was actually kind of disappointed that Mina didn't end up with Rune. ;_; I waited four hours for them to get together!!! Haha. xD

I have a couple questions about it though... Who's the little kid? I never found out. And what happened to Caius and Oryon? Was the Oracle Zareh or was Zareh pretending to be the Oracle? What happened to him, either way, after he took her to see Rune? And most distressing of all, why'd he die? D: He said he was going to stay by her side forever... ;__;

By the way, was that the True Ending? Or the Light Ending? I couldn't figure it out. There were still a couple more CG panels that I didn't unlock. If I do the Dark Ending/Hesitant and what's the other one will I be able to unlock it? :o

I've read a couple of posts from other people, and they all say they liked Caius/Secret person the best. I dunno! Rune's was kinda hard to top, currently. They seemed like they would be perfect for each other too... Life Essence and Death Essence kind of feels like they should go hand in hand right? They could live forever in harmony... Ugh. I really do wish they had gotten together in the end. ;___; After all they've gone through, living together, captured, escapd, and finally found their love for each other, but still... What a sad way to end the story...

xD Okay, enough rambling for now. Must get back to my essay that I abandoned yesterday because of this game. x_X;

Nykinora

#190 Post by Nykinora »

I just want to weigh on on this game.
I quite liked it and the plots, turns and twists in the different character arcs surprised as did the overall story. I must admit that when it first started I was expecting it to be a bit generic and simplistic but you really did flesh out the details of each path and create a somewhat complicated fantasy.

Characters:
One of the things that you did extremely well was to make each and every character completely distinct yet realised
Varian: His stubborness was his trademark. As a result Mina's path was him one of the least 'tender' or overtly romantic.
Varian seemed to be more romantic about his beliefs and ideals - especially in his belief over his own failure - than about Mina. He was often grim or depressed and there weren't many moments of comic relief, but there was something down to earth and psychologically plausible about Varian and about his reaction to Mina, so I appreciated that along with the contrast with Caius and Aurelius.

Caius: I liked this character even though despite being amusing he was often downright disturbing. Interestingly the plot never tried to ameliorate the less than pleasant aspects of his personality nor does it allow the player to lose sight of what he's actually even with the additional comedy and 'cuteness' or his falling love. He's pretty messed up, selfish and even when he falls for Mina, he essentially retains his essence.

Aurelius: I avoided his path because I assumed that he would be the least interesting and most thinly drawn of of the all characters, but he held his own and I thought that he was convincing as a mannered dandy and charmer. As with Caius, I also appreciated the way in which he managed to intersect with and feature in the storylines of other characters.

Rune: He had the potential to be incredibly boring. He seemed like the obvious golden boy and good guy but he had a complex, troubled backstory second only to Zareh's. I also was surprised in the shift that took place in him. He seemed fairly upstanding and routine to begin with only to become deeply resigned and (understandably) defeatist. I still feel that Rune's situation rather than his character lent him interest, but nevertheless it worked.

Zareh: I really appreciated the way in which you set up the various paths, veiling Zareh both in a cloak and in a decided air of mystery and making his pathway one of the least accessible. This worked well considering how much of Mina's identity and backstory was revealed in his path.

Aysel: I know that she is critical in attaining Aurelius' path but I thought she was a little bland, underdeveloped and too auxiliary (unlike Lady Cascade) which was a shame.
I agree with earlier comments about the overuse of the 'slap'-shake effect. It became pretty predictable after a while. And some of the proof-reading could have been better. The music was fine with two or three themes that were quite well done.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#191 Post by VenusEclipse »

I will be editing the sound effects. The editors right now are editing the script so at least those fixable parts will be fixed. And as for Aysel, I made her like that on purpose just because
not everyone can be like Cascade, or can really change. Her personality can annoy some but there are some who like her, not that I purposely made her unlikable.
Thanks for your insights. :)

And Wishie's post has already been answered elsewhere.

Kyminara
Regular

#192 Post by Kyminara »

I was also very impressed by the complexity and overall good quality of this game's storylines. I decided it was worth a few comments here.

One negative thing I noticed is the fact that the "game" ends once you've chosen a path. the storylines are so separate from each other that you eventually get to a point where you are no longer controlling the MC and can only read what she does in reaction to (sometimes) major plot twists and vital story elements being revealed. The Light endings have especially long tales to tell with no more input from the player.
I also would have preferred if the main character wasn't so much of a doormat. She has good reason for it, of course, but she's has no ability at all to stand on her own. I suppose that's just a matter of personal preference.

That being said, all of the paths I have read so far are absolutely beautiful!
The story is so captivating that I, like many others here, stayed up long hours just to keep reading because i couldn't put it down until the end.
I really liked how the characters, world, and background events all stayed consistent through the different paths. Some things would change, of course, due to the MC actions, but nothing seemed out of place. The characters themselves had depth to their personality and their stories made sense according to each of their own ambitions and personality traits.

Thank you for the writing it all.
sporkysan wrote:Ack! I've been meaning to play this game for so long. And I was just going to start it, but I got hooked early on and I ended up finishing one round. The story was so compelling.

I did almost the exact same thing as you! The Water Path Light Ending is my favorite of all the paths so far. (I've only gone through half of them now.)
Doing this path first kinda spoiled the rest for me a little, though.

More Spoilers:
When you choose a different path and the mysterious voice says goodbye forever, it almost makes me feel like crying because I already know who it really is. Is he sacrificing himself at that moment just to give you time to save another guy? Since we never see him again, that's the logical conclusion.

ambok

#193 Post by ambok »

for sure i will download this. . . .this is a good one the graphics is cool and the feature i think its really good. ..

sporkysan
Regular

#194 Post by sporkysan »

Kyminara wrote:I did almost the exact same thing as you! The Water Path Light Ending is my favorite of all the paths so far. (I've only gone through half of them now.)
Doing this path first kinda spoiled the rest for me a little, though.

More Spoilers:
When you choose a different path and the mysterious voice says goodbye forever, it almost makes me feel like crying because I already know who it really is. Is he sacrificing himself at that moment just to give you time to save another guy? Since we never see him again, that's the logical conclusion.
I've played a few more paths (I still have Light and Air left) and I concur. So far the Water Path Light Ending is still my favorite as well. I do have to say a twisted part of me also enjoys the Water Path Dark Ending though.
Why didn't I realize that Zareh might be sacrificing himself? That does make sense. I'm going to cry now when I play a different path. It totally explains why he doesn't go to find her later on even though he loves her so much. You know, cause he's dead; he can't.
I'm not sure why but I don't feel compelled to pursue the Air Path. Maybe I'll feel differently after I finish that route.

Kyminara
Regular

#195 Post by Kyminara »

After finishing the Life paths, I love this game more than ever. I feel bad for even saying anything negative about it.
It's clear you put a lot of work into this to make everything just so beautiful.

Thank you again for making this.