Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa (English) Ver 1.2

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ellie
Regular

Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa (English) Ver 1.2

#1 Post by Ellie »

Timey Wimey Studios presents...
A Love Story: Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa

A truly captivating tale featuring a beautiful young girl named Rosa, as she struggles to find true love.
Play as Gregorio, a man who is deeply enamored with Rosa. Fight along side him for Rosa's affections, and honor.
It will take everything Gregorio has to keep his darling until the end of their engagement party.

Featuring:
Stunning Photos, captured by a magnificent dame; TheMissus

Exquisite Writing: Ellie

Questionably Verbose (Spanish) Translation: Google Translator

Conspicuously Unoriginal Music Loops: Garageband

Succulent Sound Effects: Garage Band, and Foleyed by Ellie

Programming: Ellie

Sixteen Eloquent Endings

The Cast:
Rosa: Zippychao
Peddler: Firom
Gregorio: The_Spector
Rosa's Father: ClassyGent
Alyson Weelons: TheMissus

Download:
Linux
Mac
Windows

On a more serious note, as well as an explanation for this piece, this small group worked to put this together over the course of five days, in hopes of finishing it in time to present it as a birthday gift.
We are a little bit late, but are hopefully forgiven.
The whole group had a real time making Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa, and although I am aware this isn't the 'conventional' style of visual novel that is usually played here, I hope the Lemmasoft community can enjoy it as well.

**Even if you are fluent in Spanish, please do not try to make sense of the Spanish sections. They are intentionally poorly translated, and the grammar may be unsettling.
Last edited by Ellie on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa (English)

#2 Post by Wintermoon »

Crash near the end due file name mismatch; traceback attached.
Attachments
traceback.txt
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Ellie
Regular

Re: Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa (English) Ver 1.1

#3 Post by Ellie »

My sincere thanks. Duly noted, and fixed.
EDIT:
And done.
Please enjoy.
Because singing is fun:
Snow Storm (English)

Fandubbing can also be fun:
Shugo Chara Clip

Mild Curry
Regular
Projects: That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

Re: Una Rosa Rosada Para Rosa (English) Ver 1.2

#4 Post by Mild Curry »

This made me laugh. Out loud. Several times.

Even though the quality of the Spanish is more painful than comedic (it may just be me), good effort.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Ellie, thank you for creating and releasing your VN. I tried it out, and had a rather complex thought after just the first minute or two...
I like your willingness to incorporate photos of real people into your creative work. But I'm not sure if I like the *idea* of real people in a visual novel. Maybe it's because I have played some of the humorously bad FMV games from the 90s, such as Sewer Shark and Night Trap. My gut reaction was "this looks kinda campy." But I think there's a deeper reason.

When you have time, look for Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics." The second chapter of this nonfiction graphic novel talks extensively about types of visual art, from photocomics to realistic art to abstract and cartoon art. The author has a lot to say about why a simple art style can sometimes be easier to appreciate. He also discusses why cartoony characters can sometimes coexist with photorealistic backgrounds.

Ellie
Regular

#6 Post by Ellie »

Thank you both for playing and commenting.
MildC: I'm delighted that you found Una Rosa humorous. The general consensus I've gathered from those I've shown the game to (and gotten feedback for in person) agree that it probably would have been wiser to actually take the time to make a decent Spanish translation, as the comedy doesn't translate. I realize that because I need to explain that it is intentionally written that way, it was a poor writing choice. Thank you for playing!

Gekigan: Speak of the devil, I just bought and started reading that book. I definitely respect the idea that a simplistic cartoony style would probably have given this a more polished look, and is a good deal of what makes a vn a vn; however I do think it would have given the final product a completely different feel from what I wanted to convey. When we were brainstorming ideas for the project we considered a realistic western style cartoon look, but decided that if we wanted it to look realistic, cheap, and a bit campy, that look would be better conveyed with photos.
In any case, if I do make another visual novel, in all likelihood it will utilize a simplistic cartoony style; mostly because I'll have the time to make the art. xD Maybe I'm a bit distrusting, but I don't really trust anyone but myself to get things done, when I want them done. Sorry for writing a whole essay for a response! Thank you for playing, and I'm glad the game got you thinking!
Because singing is fun:
Snow Storm (English)

Fandubbing can also be fun:
Shugo Chara Clip