ThinSection: a tutorial, not a game

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
tjreedy

ThinSection: a tutorial, not a game

#1 Post by tjreedy »

My wife and I converted several of her slide show talks on Thin-Section Petrography of Stone and Ceramic Materials to a self-paced tutorial using RenPy as the engine. It includes several hundred 800x600 images, mostly micrographs, some with pointer overlays, with an ungraded quiz at the end of each the 11 chapters. It is actually rather simple compared to what can be done with RenPy, but we are happy with the result. The rollback facility is very helpful. Although the topic is hyper-specialized, a few people might be interested in the idea of doing something quite different with the engine. The three 400MB distributions are at
http://www.udel.edu/CHAD/tutorial.html
At the moment, only the Windows and Mac versions have been tested.
Whenever I get a 2560x1600 screen and an upgraded system, I may try to do an HD version with the 1600x1200 original micrographs.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: ThinSection: a tutorial, not a game

#2 Post by PyTom »

tjreedy wrote:Although the topic is hyper-specialized, a few people might be interested in the idea of doing something quite different with the engine.
I certainly am.

Question: What level of student is this aimed at? Could an interested amateur learn from this, or is it more intended for professionals/people with some training?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom