Matches & Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
cyrus_zuo
Regular
Projects: Airport Mania: First Flight, Matches & Matrimony

Matches & Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

#1 Post by cyrus_zuo »

My game is done!
After 2+ years it is finished!
(I'm usually working on several projects at once, and have released quite a few games in the interim so it certainly wasn't 2 years straight :wink: )

I had this crazy idea to make a long Visual Novel/Dating Sim with the player being inside a story created from the combination of 3 of Jane Austen's novels: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and Persuasion.

The end result was a lot of work...especially trying to mesh my writing style in with that of a world renowned writer! :shock:

The game was inspired in part by Jack Norton's games and like those titles will be for sale (hopefully from multiple places, it's currently available on Amazon.com). I really appreciated these forums which I searched through tirelessly when I came upon problems and where I occasionally posted. PyTom was also awesome, a big thanks to him for making RenPy amazing, fixing a couple of bugs I ran into along the way, and other awesome OSS help that was much appreciated! :D

You can check out the game here:
http://www.matchesandmatrimony.com

There is a 30 minute demo through Amazon, which won't get you far, but will give a good idea of how I approached the project.

Image Image Image

DaR
Regular

Re: Matches & Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

#2 Post by DaR »

;D *Has a thing for all things Jane Austen, heart = exploded with joy*

If I was allowed to buy things online, I would so buy this game.
ANYWAY, the art looks very nice, Mr. Bingley and Mr. Collins both made me chuckle a little. Your version of Mr. Collins looks a lot like the Mr. Collins in the 1995 specials of Pride and Prejudice. (To me, anyway).
(also, I believe the quotes in Characters and Tips & Help are said by Elizabeth, and the one in Download is said by Mr. Darcy. Just need to say this because I am a weird fan of Pride and Prejudice)
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

cyrus_zuo
Regular

#3 Post by cyrus_zuo »

Me too :)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

lol was wondering indeed when it would be finished! congrats it looks quite interesting :) I'd be curious to know how it does on Amazon channel since they don't have many dating sim/princess maker style games (don't know if Hanako kept her Cute Knight there).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Julie
Regular

#5 Post by Julie »

I am downloading this! I love Jane Austen's works!

EDIT: I can't seem to find the download for the demo. :(
Nevermind. I found it. :)
Last edited by Julie on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#6 Post by IonicMomo »

Yes! I love period drama! (Oh wow, you can romance Mr. Collins? xD This is great!)
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

Is there other ending that involves
Mr. Darcy other than ending 4? I wonder :3

reni344

#8 Post by reni344 »

Can anyone help me with Mr. Darcy's ending? I get all the way to chapter 20 but then I automatically get ending 2. I've played it several times but I keep getting the same results. Any help would be very appreciated. I have also looked at the tips and help on the website.

kyrie

#9 Post by kyrie »

I bought and played the game; really, really enjoyed it though I was kind of disappointed that there were no CGs (really would have loved even just one picture of each couple together). Mr. Darcy was totally my first fictional crush and I'm happy to say I loved him in this game and he was obviously my favorite as well as the favorite of the creators! xD I squee'd when I saw the secret character but I really wish his storyline was longer. It felt so short and sudden compared to the other suitors :<

But all in all I really enjoyed playing this game! Thank you for making it~ ^^

@azure/reni
There are two endings with Mr. Darcy. One of them, your propriety must be really low! Also it's easier if you make Lady Catherine hate you which can be done by having low propriety and talking back to her at the dinner when you visit Charlotte and Mr. Collins. If I'm remembering right you don't need much kindness for Darcy so don't go visiting too much and if you do, go outside (? +will - propriety) as much as possible.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

kyrie wrote:I bought and played the game; really, really enjoyed it though I was kind of disappointed that there were no CGs (really would have loved even just one picture of each couple together). Mr. Darcy was totally my first fictional crush and I'm happy to say I loved him in this game and he was obviously my favorite as well as the favorite of the creators! xD I squee'd when I saw the secret character but I really wish his storyline was longer. It felt so short and sudden compared to the other suitors :<

But all in all I really enjoyed playing this game! Thank you for making it~ ^^

@azure/reni
There are two endings with Mr. Darcy. One of them, your propriety must be really low! Also it's easier if you make Lady Catherine hate you which can be done by having low propriety and talking back to her at the dinner when you visit Charlotte and Mr. Collins. If I'm remembering right you don't need much kindness for Darcy so don't go visiting too much and if you do, go outside (? +will - propriety) as much as possible.
Hmm, I still cannot get that one. How do I get it? :o

Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

#11 Post by Arithra »

take a look at the homepage.
under tips theer is a really nice walkthrough ;)
helped me a lot
Please visit my projects Perios- Chained Sorceress
and Final Banquet now with demo!

And my blog for more updates!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#12 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hmm, I was using it but no luck :(

cyrus_zuo
Regular

#13 Post by cyrus_zuo »

On Mr. Darcy, having a bad relationship with Lady Catherine is important at the end (chapter 20). If you get that far, but are getting Ending #2, then your relationship w/Lady Catherine is too rosy.

@ azureXtwilight
I'm not sure where you are running into trouble specifically. But I'm happy to try and help out. What chapter are you getting to before the game ends?

reni344

#14 Post by reni344 »

Got it thanks :mrgreen: The only ending I need now is ending 7 but who does it involve? I think it's Col Brandon but i'm not sure. I've been trying to follow the walkthrough on the homepage but no luck yet. Any hints?

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#15 Post by azureXtwilight »

Chapter 14, I got ending 2.
Was I supposed to reject Mr. Darcy? I didn't go for ending 4 but the other ending.