[NaNoRenO 2011 Project] Bunni and Kitty

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

[NaNoRenO 2011 Project] Bunni and Kitty

#1 Post by Midnighticequeen »

My first game ever is now finished. Bunni and Kitty is a short, fluff story about a little bunny who finds an abandoned kitty and takes her home. The game is relatively short, but cute and charming. Hope you like it. :oops:
Main menu
Main menu
screenshot0003.png
edit: I consider it a beta project. The only thing fully finished is the character sprites, I simply didn't have time to focus on coloring like I wanted, so it's going to take me a bit longer to fully color everything. Hope you don't mind.

Edit: Release a small update fixing typo errors and my game and main menu
Edit 2: New fully colored version.

Windows version (22MB)
BK 2.1-1.0-win.zip
(25.49 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
Mac version (25MB)
BK 2.1-1.0-linux.tar.bz2
(27.05 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Linux version (20MB)
BK 2.1-1.0-linux.tar.bz2
(27.05 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
All versions

Editors/Proofreaders
Komi Tsuku
platonicheart
Last edited by Midnighticequeen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [NaNoRenO 2011 Project] Bunni and Kitty

#2 Post by SusanTheCat »

Your game is simply adorable!

The music was perfect.
The sprites were really cute! I liked the inset pictures of just their faces.
The CG's were well done. (Although a bit of colour wouldn't hurt ;) )
I liked the emotion icons over their heads.
The story was very simple and suited the characters.

But the BEST BEST BEST part was that my cat really liked the sound effects. He went around looking for the mysterious kitty.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

platonicheart
Veteran
Projects: Learning to Love

#3 Post by platonicheart »

Nice, nice!!! Never thought it would be this good!!! The reactions are quite cute!!! >.<

Currently working on Learning to Love

proofreading: the beach and yuki academy

My DeviantArt: http://platonicheart.deviantart.com/

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

It's so cuuute <3
I really love that you made cat sound effects~ <3
As a fan of cats, I APPROVE OF THIIIIS XD

platonicheart
Veteran

#5 Post by platonicheart »

As a fan of cats, I APPROVE OF THIIIIS XD
*random--same here!!!

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#6 Post by SilverxBlue »

It looks so cute,
the game has bunnies and cats!!
That game might kill me with its cuteness.
I'm downloading it right now..!
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

Congrats on release!! I'm happy for you! This is quite a game for one month. All that drawing you must have done. :)

I really liked the face boxes that you put up in the corners every now and then. I think that's a really unique way to approach showing emotions, and I also love how you managed to make everything 3rd Person, and used the backgrounds to your advantage. I would love to see the BGs cleaned up like the CG art someday, but hey, again, pretty good for 1 month!

I liked the emotions over their heads, and it just added to the cute factor everyone's talking about. I also liked that the characters, for the most part, were animals. :) I liked the text box design, but the background pic for the game menu was distracting because it still had the text/logo on it. The CGs were clever and made the game fun!
At first, I wasn't sure why Bunni would get so attached to the kitty (I mean, I do know, raising a box of kittens was one of the hardest things I'll ever do, because I had to give them all away), but the fiasco about giving the cat back seemed overblown until the owner hinted at being abusive, but in all honesty, these are anthropomorphic animals here, so a cat to them is another person, and quite a big deal.

Also, did my choices have any consequence outside of the reactions to the choices?
Good job.

Midnighticequeen
Veteran

#8 Post by Midnighticequeen »

:D I'm so glad that you guys liked the game and took to time to comment on it. I was sort of worried that no one would bother with all the other cool games coming out this month. Glad to see my worries about not getting comments were unfounded.

@SusanTheCat Hehe. I'm really, really tickled by the fact that your cat liked the sound effects. That must have been cute to watch.

I decided to wait until after I finished the game to completely color everything. I figured that if I start coloring, as late as it was in the month, would only get in the way of me programming it into renpy and figuring out how I was going to display the elements that I wanted. Good thing I did to, or else Bunni and Kitty probably would have ended up a dead project or a much longer WIP. I was working on it until ten pm last night because I thought it was the last day to post it. I'm glad you liked the game.

@platonicheart Glad you liked it, and I'm glad you can see what your editing helped me do. I'm a terrible slow editor and I wouldn't have finished in time without help from you and Komi Tsuku

@azureXtwilight :oops: Thanks. Glad you like cats as much as I do

@SilverxBlue I hope you like it.
Congrats on release!! I'm happy for you! This is quite a game for one month. All that drawing you must have done.
:D Thank you for the congrats. This game was a chore to figure out, but once I started to finally figure out how to program it I was ecstatic.
I really liked the face boxes that you put up in the corners every now and then. I think that's a really unique way to approach showing emotions, and I also love how you managed to make everything 3rd Person, and used the backgrounds to your advantage. I would love to see the BGs cleaned up like the CG art someday, but hey, again, pretty good for 1 month!
Those little emotion icons above their head was something I put in, in like, the last five hours before April the first. PyTom pointed me in the right direction and after a few test I was able to figure out how to make them work for me. The only chore was going back through the entire script and figuring out manually where I wanted to have them and fitting the new changes with the old ones.

Because of those little icons Bunni and Kitty got as close to my originally idea for the game as it possibly could. (Though I did have to take out a few of Brother's icons because they weren't positioned right and I didn't have to time to figure out how to fix it.)

The background, CGs, and side images will be finished in a newer version. It honestly took me so long to finish and line the other artwork, that I didn't have time to start on the backgrounds. The best I could do was clean them up a bit and give a colored background to everything. I figured in the end some color was better than sketches and line art any day.
I liked the emotions over their heads, and it just added to the cute factor everyone's talking about. I also liked that the characters, for the most part, were animals. I liked the text box design, but the background pic for the game menu was distracting because it still had the text/logo on it. The CGs were clever and made the game fun!
:oops: Your making me blush. Oh yeah the game menu...I didn't like that either. I think I'll change it with the new release.

About your spoilers
Your heading in the right direction with your thinking. If I had the opportunity to color and line the backgrounds the backgrounds you could have seen that Kitty was with Bunni for almost a whole season and a half before she was taken away. I was going to make it late spring when they met her, and then mid-summer when Brother got the bad news about her owner, but I didn't have the time. (And naturally spending months close to someone who loves you unconditionally can make your bond that much more stronger)

It's the reason why Bunni changes clothes. To help display the changing of the seasons, and because I thought it would be cute! It will make more sense though, after I get the background how I want it. :D
Also, did my choices have any consequence outside of the reactions to the choices?
No, unfortunately, the only perk to the menu options is seeing new emotions of the characters and their interactions with each other. Sorry to disappoint. The next version shall have more or completely fully colored images. This completely depends on how long it takes me, though. I'm a slow colorer. :oops:

So, any suggestions on what I should color first?

Midnighticequeen
Veteran

#9 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Added a small update fixing editing typos and the main and game menu

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

This is a game that massively exceeded my expectations. I mean, I went into it expecting to see a light bit of fluff, and I've always been a bit biased against furries, so that was a bit of a strike against it. It's cute but not in a traditional moé way - so I wasn't sure I'd get into it. But then I started playing - and found myself really engaged in it.

The way the story had an emotional arc to it - I mean, I actually started identifying and liking the protagonists, and rooting for them when things happened. Their triumphs became my triumphs - what a great bit of storytelling. The little emotion balloons helped a lot, especially for the (mostly?) silent protagonist.

One minor quibble - you may want to tighten up some of the transitions. There are times when there are a few transitions in a row, taking what seems like multiple seconds to finish - I think that might be a bit too long. But this isn't major, and might just be my preference.

I look forward to seeing this done - it really surprised me.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#11 Post by SilverxBlue »

Just finished playing it today!
I liked it very much, the execution of the story was really good, and the story itself, is well thought out.
On a side note, I love the cat sounds it's so cute.
I'm definitely recommending this game to my friends who are animal lovers.

This one is good for your very first VN, I'll be anticipating for the newer version :)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#12 Post by Elenakiara »

Oh this game was really cute! =D <33 I really liked it and the cat sounds. xD

What surprised me was that it went from being cute to be more serious later. xD I liked the action parts too!
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#13 Post by Blue Lemma »

That was a bundle of awwwwww :-3

Cute story, and I agree with PyTom about the transitions. I found myself clicking through them a lot and sometimes unsure when it was a transition or a wait-for-click pause.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Midnighticequeen
Veteran

#14 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Thank you to everyone who played the game and enjoyed it enough to respond. I appreciate your comments and I'm glad that you liked story. :D

@PyTom Wow. Your comments truly blew me away. I was mostly expecting females to download this VN, with such a cutesy name as Bunni and Kitty, but I'm glad you took the time to try it out and I'm thrilled you liked it so much since your the main reason I was able to make my story. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.
The little emotion balloons helped a lot, especially for the (mostly?) silent protagonist.
Those wouldn't have happened if I hadn't followed your suggestion on using the V boxes. Without those little emotions I think Bunni and Kitty would have lost a lot of the charm I had planned for it. The original version of Bunni and Kitty didn't have them, but I'm glad I took the time to experiment and little and put in the extra hours to make it work. They really helped the story.
One minor quibble - you may want to tighten up some of the transitions. There are times when there are a few transitions in a row, taking what seems like multiple seconds to finish - I think that might be a bit too long. But this isn't major, and might just be my preference.
I had thought that I may have had some areas where the transitions between stories where a bit to long, but I wasn't to sure about it. I tried to break up these sequences as much as possible, but I must have failed. I'll be sure to check over it again with a more thorough eye now that two people have said something about it.

There is one thing that I'm not sure I can tighten up though. When the characters display changes between their reactions, it seems to take to long even for me. I think it can be solved if I can define the dissolve to happen a bit faster, but I have no idea how to do that just now. :|

@SilverxBlue Thank you so much for your enthusiasm for this visual novel. The fact that your going to recommend it to your friends who loves animals :oops: is humbling. I'm glad you liked your experience and thank you for taking the time to comment.

Elenakiara :oops: Yeah, I sort of have this habit of changing things from the expected to the unexpected, even when that was not the original plan. Bunni and Kitty was suppose to be very light and fluff filled story of the relationship between the two, but while brainstorming on how to write it, I got completely stumped. What good is a story without a conflict? A story about the perfect world of even two adorable characters didn't interest me much, but when I started adding the conflict of Kitty being in danger, that's when the story began to roll.

@Blue Lemma He he...glad you enjoyed it. I got the feeling the feelings that the pauses where to long when I saw my mom clicking most of them away. I'll be sure to shorten that with my next version. Thank you for commenting.

platonicheart
Veteran

#15 Post by platonicheart »

Haha! I really really liked it, to rephrase it, I LOVED IT!!! But then, I really didn't contribute much to the success of your vn, so i'm quite embarrassed to be praised by you