Quine

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#16 Post by mikey »

ShiraiJunichi >> Hmm, I actually think that first theory is more plausible, and it's how I personally saw it. BUT: You do have a point, it's a bit hazy, lots of theories possible on that particular scene :?

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

...*blink*... more plausible? ... But how... why... how can... but... how can it be plausible for
A young women to casually walk around in a stranger's house without any pants?!
... I don't get it...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#18 Post by papillon »

She's so innocent she doesn't realise there's anything weird about it? As long as the relevant bits are covered... After all, with underwear and a big shirt on she's MORE covered than a swimsuit, and if she didn't trust you she wouldn't have taken a shower in the first place... It's strange but not impossible. :)

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#19 Post by Alessio »

Nice one, liked it! And laughed in more than one place. "Perverts." :D Also, the small writing... "Please don't hate me". Really funny!

Kikumi was a bit of a red herring, but ok.

The drawings of Solangel I really liked. Probably because her emotions are so clear, and the touch with the green eyes... very nice approach. That's taught me a completely new view on the essential elements of a drawing.

The only thing I personally wasn't too fond of were the background graphics - too fuzzy, I'd have preferred a different filter on them. But that's a style decision, so it's not up to me to criticize. Overall, well done!

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#20 Post by Kikered »

Thanks again for the comments, everyone. :)

This may be a bit of a late reply, but regarding Junichi's concern, I was kinda aiming for the first theory. :oops:

Unfortunately, I am unable to access the network drive containing the unobfuscated version of the game without reformatting the laptop's hard drive. So I'm afraid that a new version containing music won't be coming along.
Last edited by Kikered on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Quine

#21 Post by mikey »

Kikered wrote:Quine (Thanks for the name recommendation, PyTom!)
Alright, I have ideas, but I haven't exactly figured out all the reasons behind the name. Could you explain? Thanks.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

Well, do you know the meaning of the term Quine in computer science/programming? The meta-nature of the story of the game sort of reminded me of that.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by mikey »

I found it on Wikipedia, but I wasn't sure whether that was the connection. Meta nature... means it's a story about making a story, right? :? I suppose so... But there you have it, I have no idea of programming-related terms whatsoever 8)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#24 Post by Watercolorheart »

I read the definition of Quine, and still didn't understand it.

I was, however, amused playing it for a couple of minutes - this a game for all those who have tried to make a game and failed at it, or succeeded. Very tongue-in-cheek.

I'm sure I'll finish playing it soon, one of these nights.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I read the definition on wikipedia (never heard the term before) and it instantly made perfect sense. A program that outputs how it was created, compared with a game that tells the story of how a game is created. The similarity... it's just... so beautiful ;_; .
I guess being a computer scientist is good for something at least ^_^

Quin
Regular

#26 Post by Quin »

Douglas R. Hofstadter wrote:What is it like to be asked,
"What is it like to be asked, self-embedded in quotes after its comma?"
self-embedded in quotes after its comma?

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#27 Post by kara24601 »

I enjoyed the game very much even though no matter what I try to do differently , so far , I keep getting ending 3. Arg. But , if the other endings don't really seem that much different as at least one person has stated , then...no big loss , I guess.

This is a game for gamers *and* game creators. Especially game creators. You'll either find yourself laughing or nodding knowingly to every little problem the main character has to go through. :wink:

denzil
Veteran

#28 Post by denzil »

I'd like to announce that I finished Czech translation of Quine. I want to thank to Kikered for letting me translate it, I had really fun when translating it. I know most of you won't be able to play it, but I just wanted to let you know. :)

You can get the translation at: http://denzil.ic.cz/pages/quine_cs.html
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by mikey »

Congratulations! I woke up earlier than I intended to and needed to pass time, and this was just the thing! Really nice translation, it was great to see a game speak Czech again. It brought back a lot of memories - and actually now it feels even closer given how the game shows how a (sometimes struggling) game writer feels. It's really good for the soul, so to say. Very recommended for anyone!

I've included it in the czskbg list. Thanks for a great work! And hopefully many CZ and SK fans will play it!

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#30 Post by Fox Lee »

I have mixed feelings about this game... on one hand, I found it enjoyable to read, fairly polished, and appropriately "human". It had a good sense of humour and was pretty well-written over all - certainly by amateur game standards :p The characters generally sounded believable, and I could imagine somebody actually saying their lines without it seeming too odd. The use of non-art visual elements (text size and scene changes and whatnot) was also very solid - it wasn't showy and overdone, but it felt good all the way through

Unfortunately, though, I was a bit frustrated with the game overall because I felt bullied into being with Solangel, who just wasn't my type. I tried to be nice to her while keeping her at arm's length, in hopes that I could end up with Kikumi, who interested me straight away. It's sad to hear that she's not available :< Anyway, aside from being frustratingly short - I understand why, as with other amateur games, but that doesn't mean I'm not left wishing for more :\

I guess my only real complaint was that the game wasn't what I expected. With all the talk about coming up with a game character, I wanted there to be several girls, and in turn for there to be several characters Leon could choose for his project. Instead, I came to like Solangel less than I might have otherwise, because I felt the game was kinda forcing her onto me.

The art... well, yeah. I don't wanna be too harsh, given the nature of the project, but suffice to say the art wasn't up to the standard of the writing. I took Leon's "as a last resort" comment as an explanation for this, so I hope that doesn't cause offence. As a noncommital note - if you ever wanted to revisit the project, I would probably offer to help on that front. As long as the Kikumi plot was reinstated ;p

I also think this would be the kind of game that would benefit from allowing name entry for the main character. It's my thinking that when the PoV character doesn't force much of a personality onto you, you may as well let the player name him/her into the bargain.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro