Your time for money? Is it right??

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
platonicheart
Veteran
Projects: Learning to Love

Your time for money? Is it right??

#1 Post by platonicheart »

What if you will be paid per hour if you just spend your time chatting and drinking coffee or tea with a person you completely don't know and that's it.

Will it be worth it, rather will it be just okay to do such thing?

Also, is it okay to accept gifts from random people and be clueless why they do such acts?

Currently working on Learning to Love

proofreading: the beach and yuki academy

My DeviantArt: http://platonicheart.deviantart.com/

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Re: Your time for money? Is it right??

#2 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Eh! Never. Mom really used to tell me that don't trust random people you meet, even though they say they're police/teacher/anything from the government/stuff. [She even told me not to trust some people doing a government-funded house-to-house injection for a disease, who obviously went on our house one time.]

I dunno about the gifts, because somebody in the city near to mine uses gifts to lure his victims, then captures then gets the organs and sell them.
I won't like it if my kidney is sold on a random dude.

It's not that I like talking to people, but you can't never be too careful on things. I like making friends, but people you don't know asking you to talk to him/her for money is pretty much one of the creepiest thing I heard.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

To a certain degree, yes. In most jobs where you work a set number of hours and are paid for those hours, you are expected to work. Whether you do or not depends on the individual and the employer.

For other jobs, eg. commissioning, there are other factors to decide. Being paid a basic hourly wage for your work is just the beginning. After that you also factor in demand, complexity, difficultly, uses, legal stuff, materials, all kinds of stuff.

Some people who are very quick workers still decide to charge as if they were slow. This makes sense. You shouldn't be punished for being good (though it may be a little unethical). One of my tutors says that when he gets flown over for an annual job he demands his own office so that he can go out, drink all night, sleep most of the day and knock over the work in the afternoon only to pretend he has been working hard all day.

As for the gift thing... what exactly has that got to do with the price of fish?

choklitchan
Regular

#4 Post by choklitchan »

There are some jobs that require you do such things; like being a hired companion. Is that what you're talking about? If you're interested in a job like that, there are probably reliable agencies that can get you jobs, rather than you looking for stuff on your own.

Sounds like a fun job; to be sure; but there are risks involved.

Why, are you considering such a job?

And I wouldn't accept random gifts. man + lolipop + white van = not good.
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)

platonicheart
Veteran

#5 Post by platonicheart »

@Lumen_Astrum : Hmm... so that's what you think. Well,it does sound creepy to spend some time with someone if your mind is full of suspicions about illegal things to be done to you.

@Auro-Cyanide : Well, I understand that your time is needed to be paid if it's an official job. But What if the story goes like this:

One day the friend of a "girl" friend of mine asked my friend to introduce him to me. And being "money-minded" I said to my friend that i'll talk to him only if he pays me (which was obviously a joke), but agrees to it and says that he'll pay me if i was willing to spend some time with him chatting over some coffee. And this continues up to the point of receiving gifts, which I honestly don't know why I should receive one :?

Now, what to do if the scenario is like that :D

choklitchan
Regular

#6 Post by choklitchan »

Sounds like something out of a manga. :D
That said, it still sounds a bit suspicious to me though, with the money factor involved, and gifts.
If you want to spend time with him, why not on a non-paying level?
Finished:
Shrinkled
Works in Progress

platonicheart
Veteran

#7 Post by platonicheart »

choklitchan wrote:There are some jobs that require you do such things; like being a hired companion. Is that what you're talking about? If you're interested in a job like that, there are probably reliable agencies that can get you jobs, rather than you looking for stuff on your own.

Sounds like a fun job; to be sure; but there are risks involved.

Why, are you considering such a job?

And I wouldn't accept random gifts. man + lolipop + white van = not good.
Hired companion??? Does it really sound fun? Because if its fun, I wouldn't mind the risks because I absolutely hate being BORED. The first time I tried it, it was quite fun since there were things we had in common.

If you're asking me why I'm considering such a job, then look at my previous post.

And as for the random gifts... :lol: Aww... I like lollipops... :lol: The kind of gifts that I receive are stuff toys and flowers and I really don't know why am I receiving such things. I mean, Hey, it's not my birthday isn't it.

platonicheart
Veteran

#8 Post by platonicheart »

choklitchan wrote:Sounds like something out of a manga. :D
That said, it still sounds a bit suspicious to me though, with the money factor involved, and gifts.
If you want to spend time with him, why not on a non-paying level?
Really??? (laughs) Can you name one manga with the same scenario as the one I'm facing right now, it's quite intriguing.

The fact is that, I myself don't know if I want to spend time with him. I mean, I rarely talk to other people and I have this icy-cold attitude if i don't know you yet. But then, it seems that my attitude attracts attention from other people and its kinda confusing me since I think that people tend to separate themselves from you if your attitude is like that.

Though, do you think I should try the "non-paying level"??

choklitchan
Regular

#9 Post by choklitchan »

Well, if the person you're employed by pays to hang out with you, gives you food and talk, I think it sounds fun. I've read about hired companions, though I think they're a bit outdated; when I read about them, it was in the old upper class.
I would ask myself if I would accept such things under other circumstances. Which I don't think I would.

As for manga... I can't think of one off the top of my head, but it does sound like something out of a shojo manga to me; getting paid to be a "companion".
Hmmm, I can sympathize to some degree with you; though I've never been offered a job like that. :P
I don't know~ it's up to you. If you enjoy his company, then wouldn't it be nice to hang out without the complications of money?

That's my own two cents. Mmmm... Maybe one and a half.
Finished:
Shrinkled
Works in Progress

platonicheart
Veteran

#10 Post by platonicheart »

Hmm...I've declined a part-time job offer for me just to go out with random people recently. (holds some weird grudge on my friend for introducing many guys to me!)
Why wouldn't you accept it? I mean, what risks are you thinking if its just about two-three hours of your time only exchanging information with each other. And is it fair for the other party if I agree accompanying him but displays my cold attitude??? Do you think it's cool and alright if i continue this?

It would be cool if what I'm going through right now is like a shojo manga because maybe if i could read that manga i could now what to do at such situations.

choklitchan
Regular

#11 Post by choklitchan »

There's just something odd about a someone who pays me to hang out with them. I don't think it would be a good job for me, personally. It sounds uncomfortable; what if he expects more than just hanging out, especially with gifts of flowers and toys? :/
If you're in this purely for the money, there are other ways to get it, and less shady-sounding.
I'll keep thinking about the manga thing. ^_^
Finished:
Shrinkled
Works in Progress

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Run away!

No but seriously, that sounds really... weird. You are a girl right? Sounds like he is trying to bribe you into something, and well, you probably get the drift of that something. At least I hope you do. It is also possible you may have given him the wrong idea by asking for money. I hope you get what I mean by that too.

But I don't know the guy, so you will have to trust your own instincts. If he feels even a little bit slimy, get the hell out of there. If he is just trying to impress you, explain that the gifts are making you uncomfortable because you feel like you don't deserve them. But I don't like the sound of that at all. I suggest you find out what his motive is.

platonicheart
Veteran

#13 Post by platonicheart »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Run away!

No but seriously, that sounds really... weird. You are a girl right? Sounds like he is trying to bribe you into something, and well, you probably get the drift of that something. At least I hope you do. It is also possible you may have given him the wrong idea by asking for money. I hope you get what I mean by that too.

But I don't know the guy, so you will have to trust your own instincts. If he feels even a little bit slimy, get the hell out of there. If he is just trying to impress you, explain that the gifts are making you uncomfortable because you feel like you don't deserve them. But I don't like the sound of that at all. I suggest you find out what his motive is.
Yes I'm a girl and I really don't have a clue of what his motives are. As for the money, I only said that in the first place so that he would back-out from being introduced to me. But he was so goddamn serious about paying just to have chats once in a while. so far, we schedule days where we spend about two-three hours of our time in a coffee shop, sometimes in an arcade.

Bribe me??? Bribe me to what? well, he's not slimy, I think, more over, I thin he's more like fragile than me. Hmm. I asked him over and over again about the gifts and he just replies with a smile. So I really haven't got a clue as to why I'm receiving such gifts, I try to return it to them, but he seem to be displeased while I'm doing it.

How to I try to find out his motive??? :?

platonicheart
Veteran

#14 Post by platonicheart »

choklitchan wrote:There's just something odd about a someone who pays me to hang out with them. I don't think it would be a good job for me, personally. It sounds uncomfortable; what if he expects more than just hanging out, especially with gifts of flowers and toys? :/
If you're in this purely for the money, there are other ways to get it, and less shady-sounding.
I'll keep thinking about the manga thing. ^_^
Odd? In what way??? It might be interesting if it's odd...I mean I've been doing odd things myself like putting ketchup on mmy ice cream sometimes. hahahaaha...anyways, what do you mean by expecting more???

well, yes, for the time being, I don't see him as a friend but an employer. :lol: As for the manga, a part of my mind is still thinking about any manga alike to my story. It's you fault for implanting in my mind that there could be a shojo manga like that :lol:

choklitchan
Regular

#15 Post by choklitchan »

Not odd as in interesting-odd, which I like, but odd as in creepy/weird odd. Though ketchup on ice cream sounds just as gross-odd. :P Well, to each his own...
Expecting more, I meant by physical favors. Take advantage of you. As a fellow girl, I'm begging you to be careful.
Finished:
Shrinkled
Works in Progress