Gaming habits, do you guys have one???

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
platonicheart
Veteran
Projects: Learning to Love

Gaming habits, do you guys have one???

#1 Post by platonicheart »

Recently I find myself always searching for otome games then it came across my mind... I'm addicted to otome games since

I'm a girl and I'm sure some are addicted to Bishoujo and Otome games as well. Let me ask you guys, how do you play your

otome games or bishoujo games? Are there any special things you do before playing it??? :lol: Or what do you do to make

your proress in the game to be successful? How much tme do you spend just to unlock one ending? Do you find find

yourselves stucked in one route? Do you always finish all the routes in the game?

Ugh...my mnd is overflowing with questions... Just answer the thread title hahaha :lol:
Last edited by platonicheart on Mon May 23, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Currently working on Learning to Love

proofreading: the beach and yuki academy

My DeviantArt: http://platonicheart.deviantart.com/

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Otome gaming habits, do you guys have one???

#2 Post by Camille »

I always go after the guy who seems to have the most yandere potential first. XD My yandere sense hasn't failed me yet~ After that I keep playing until I've unlocked all of the CGs, endings, and other various bonuses. I'm definitely a completionist, though sometimes I will opt to skip the more boring-seeming guys, put the game down, and do those routes much, much later when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

Most of the time it takes me several hours to complete the first route, but then you can skip all the common scenes on later routes (in most otome games) so it's not too bad. I do spend a lot of time replaying the game just for fun if I really like a certain guy's route. :D I only use a walkthrough if I'm absolutely stuck... I'm the type that prefers to take notes and figure stuff out.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Habits?

-Squealing to death before, while and after playing the gam
-staying up all night to finish the route
-playing it without eating, breaks, bringing it until inside the restroom, secretly bringing it to school hiding it to teacher who would confiscate it if found.
-playing my fave first, 2nd and 3rd i don't play the guy I don't like.
-I hurry to the local store to buy it on its first release... or pre-order them online.
-sacrifice my allowance to be able to buy it
-My fandom lasts an eternity XD
-I go for any guy as long as I like his voice actor, his appearance, his personality gfjsagoaghoakgagdagas.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

miyoyan
Regular

#4 Post by miyoyan »

-Squealing to death before, while and after playing the gam
-staying up all night to finish the route
-playing it without eating, breaks, bringing it until inside the restroom, secretly bringing it to school hiding it to teacher who would confiscate it if found.
-playing my fave first, 2nd and 3rd i don't play the guy I don't like.
*Nods in agreement*

I go for megane first (not the kichiku type, although I sometimes end up in that kind of routes) or the sensei/senpai. Luckily most of the time those two overlap :)
I pay lots of attention to the seiyuu. I almost had a heart attack, died, revived and died again when in an ero otome game I found Suwabe voicing one of the obtainable characters. (Yusa Koji seems to crop up quite a lot, too, but not on the H ones xD... mostly.)

I only do the routes I like. I use walkthroughs for the second route onwards (I think about what I would choose and then see what the walkthrough says), but the first one I play "as myself". If the art is especially good (and I have HIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH standards) I try to unlock all the CGs.
Sometimes when playing doujin game I just hack the code to see all the scenes :P (well, I try, I'm not a programmer).
Last edited by miyoyan on Sun May 22, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

Hmmmm...
I can only play English Otome games but I search for them like hell and when I couldn't find one anymore, I search for Japanese tutorial centers. I don't have a problem!
But anyway, I usually go for the mature megane first... (I always have a soft spot for them...) But, if there are no meganes I usually go for the cold-hearted ones or the really nice, cute and funny ones first.
While playing otome games, I always forget about the time, I usually sleep late and I forget to eat sometimes.... (I lost weight this summer vacation because of that.)
For my playtime, I really don't know how much I spend... But, I finished yo-jin-bo (All paths) in three days.
And I always finish all routes in the game, I do make exceptions though. *Remembers Amanohashi and shudders...*
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I, uh, only play English ones 'cause I can't play any Japanese ones without ...japanese? + I have a Mac orz

I go for the one I like first. Play their route. Sometimes I go for the others, but usually I only do it for one.
deviantART
---------------------

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#7 Post by Chu-3 »

My habit in playing Japanese otome games:
1. Not turning off my Playstation 2 until I completed the game for all routes if the story is interesting (1-2 days?)
2. Set the auto-text speed to max and some time, set the skip function to skip all messages.
3. For PC games, hold ctrl button to skip some boring events.
4. Close the door, don't forget to lock it down.
5. Read the walkthrough using the smartphone.
6. After played a route and it is boring> stop it
7. If it has Suwabe>> screaming even if it is at midnight. (and my parents scolds me in morning OTL)

Maybe I just forget my age OTL...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Only Otome gaming?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

platonicheart
Veteran

#9 Post by platonicheart »

LVUER wrote:Only Otome gaming?
Ah my bad, hmmm, I really don't know what a bxg is called...if I find out I may edit the title so that those who have playing habits can share ^^

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#10 Post by Aleema »

Just edit out "otome" if you want to appeal to everyone ..? I think BxG is called Bishoujo, though I rarely hear that.

platonicheart
Veteran

#11 Post by platonicheart »

Aleema wrote:Just edit out "otome" if you want to appeal to everyone ..? I think BxG is called Bishoujo, though I rarely hear that.
Got it...Maybe lemmasoft should provide a dictionary for the "lemmasoft lingo" or something like that ^^

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

Re: Gaming habits, do you guys have one???

#12 Post by pondrthis »

I've never played an otome game, but that's more because I've never come across one that was interesting to me rather than I'm not interested in the genre. I tend to like reverse harems and shoujo manga/anime and all that jazz.

-I always go to 100% completion. A story that doesn't require all routes to understand (either plot-wise or thematically) isn't one I'd likely be interested in.
-I never skip unread text. In fact, I often don't skip text during my final playthrough, either. (I barely skipped ANYTHING in Ever 17, because going back and forth between the two protagonists' routes revealed more of the story if you paid attention. Yeah, I read a lot of stuff three-to-five times.)
-I usually choose my second-favorite route first, then save my favorite for last. If I feel like the story would be better told in a different order, then I follow that order. Enforced route order always helps, though.
-I tend to get good endings before bad endings, though this isn't always the case. I figure a route's good ending is more like to jive with what came before it, and getting a bad ending would spoil the flow... but sometimes a guy just wants to end on a good note, y'know?

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Gaming habits, do you guys have one???

#13 Post by teacup »

-I abuse the CTRL key (or skip button). Simply because I get bored... VERY easy XD
-Usually never get 100% completion. As I said before, I'm easily bored. So the game will have to be really great for me to finish it 100%.
-If theres on available, I always print out a walkthrough and use that to make all the decisions. >.< I want to avoid bad endings always. I hate bad endings (unless it gives you a CG or something).
-I don't play otome games very much (there's a lot more bishoujo games out there and they're actually pretty good ^^) but when I do, I usually only go after the guy I like. So even if a game has 2+ guys, chances are I will only go after one.

And after typing this, I realize how lazy I am >.>;

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#14 Post by Blue Lemma »

I always go for the childhood friend/"good girl"/main girl first because I'm a boring sap like that. :| Then I have fun and do all the other things!
platonicheart wrote:Got it...Maybe lemmasoft should provide a dictionary for the "lemmasoft lingo" or something like that ^^
Pretty good idea, actually...
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

platonicheart
Veteran

#15 Post by platonicheart »

Blue Lemma wrote:I always go for the childhood friend/"good girl"/main girl first because I'm a boring sap like that. :| Then I have fun and do all the other things!
platonicheart wrote:Got it...Maybe lemmasoft should provide a dictionary for the "lemmasoft lingo" or something like that ^^
Pretty good idea, actually...
I save pursuing childhood friends for the last (save the best for last ^^)

If ever there would be a "publication of lemmasoft lingo" I'll be one of the first to read it through.... :D