I accidentally formatted my drive

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

I accidentally formatted my drive

#1 Post by Watercolorheart »

Confused "System Recovery" for "System Restore". No joke.

Art and Ren'py games will not be forthcoming from me for a while, seeing as how I lost .... everything.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

................ arrrg.... ;_;... Such things should need 5 confirmation screens, just ot make you realize you're about to make something big ^^;... Uff... I feel your pain :/

bookie
Veteran

#3 Post by bookie »

:shock: That sucks hardcore.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

Total reformat? (I don't know about system recovery since I'm on dual boot and still prefer to use win98)

I don't suppose a program like recovermyfiles could help.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

RedSlash
Veteran

#5 Post by RedSlash »

Hmm... it's like your backup data destroyed your data. How ironic.

Hopefully, u'd still be able to use a data recovery program and restore some files.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by musical74 »

:shock: :shock: I agree with bookie. Any chance at all of recovering the data? Or, when you accidentally formatted the drive did you truly lose everything?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#7 Post by Alessio »

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be able to recover some of your work. (I'm really scared myself of losing work all the time. This again shows how important it is to make backups regularly, even if it's only drag-and-drop onto a CD).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

That's terrible. I know the feeling, even though I only lost a few bits and things. I backed up my files completely two weeks ago and thne most critical ones I back up every few days.

It's an enormous setback if you lose your work, and I started from square one on several occasions... with music, even some scripts. It's horrible, but if it helps, I found that the new work was always better.

Nevertheless, it's never a pleasant thing. The best thing to do is sleep it over, let it be and make a fresh start. But it still hurts, as anyone who lost their data will know. :cry: :cry:

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#9 Post by Watercolorheart »

There is no possibility for recovery: System Recovery assumes your computer has been infected with a virus, and starts EVERYTHING fresh.

I, did, however, find a copy of Goldwave and Flash stashed away on an old CD I burned them onto, as well as a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 that came with my tablet. I'm not in the clear, but at least I can draw ...

Now I just need to replace every other program I lost ...

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#10 Post by F.I.A »

I feel for you, BCS, because...

My harddrive died last Friday, taking all my artworks and script with it...

I still got myself a previously saved script(Which is not as complete), but you can say that is a rather painful blow to the morale.

Oh well, it might be a good chance to rework on the artwork for better quality. So, guess we should cheer up a little.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Ouch- tough break...

I'm not exactly sure, but I think if you did a quick format of the hard drive, it doesn't write 0's onto the entire disk- in which case some data may be recoverable- but would require paying someone with the right equipment to recover it for you. Even if it wasn't a quick format, data is probably still recoverable, but might require secret government agency techniques ~_^ . I hear that it is possible to recover data that has been overwritten be measuring the strength of the magnetic charge on the disc. Becuase of this, there are certain programs that are used to permanently delete files, which overwrite the data several times, some passes using random bit streams.

Anyway, my current project exists on three computeres, and one USB flash drive. Oh, and an older version on the internet. So, I'm not too worried about losing my data. But, locating the latest version of the program is a little tough sometimes ^_^;;;

RedSlash
Veteran

#12 Post by RedSlash »

Yes, if it was a quick format and data recovery doesn't physically overwrite every bit on your HD, it is recoverable to some extent. Ofcourse, the probability of recovering files reduces with your daily usage so if you decide to attempt file recovery, the sooner the better.