Please do not respond to the Spambots

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Please do not respond to the Spambots

#46 Post by Blue Lemma »

If we blocked Russia and its former territories, China, Poland, and the Netherlands, spam would drop to virtually zero. Given how few people from those places actually post on this site, it'd be tempting...

It'd be nice to have a basic intelligence check other than a simple addition problem. How about something that takes actual intelligence that can be changed weekly? Then we can also weed out idiots! :D
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#47 Post by papillon »

I'm fairly sure that there are a number of legit Polish users here at least!

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#48 Post by Crocosquirrel »

There are a couple of Chinese and Russian members as well
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#49 Post by LVUER »

Blue Lemma wrote:If we blocked Russia and its former territories, China, Poland, and the Netherlands, spam would drop to virtually zero. Given how few people from those places actually post on this site, it'd be tempting...
But it would be rather cruel to block entire Russia and those other countries (since there are legit users from there too).
Blue Lemma wrote:It'd be nice to have a basic intelligence check other than a simple addition problem. How about something that takes actual intelligence that can be changed weekly? Then we can also weed out idiots! :D
LOL. Is there any idiots in this forum? Wait, please don't point your fingers to me (T__T)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Hold it! *points finger to myself* I think I'd say goodbye to this forums soon if we really had that basic intelligence.... TT.TT
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#51 Post by Aleema »

Several forums do have a dummy intelligence question during sign up, and if you don't get it right, you don't sign up. Just "2+2=?" or something. Not sure if it works or not.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#52 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Depends on exactly how it's set up. Some of them are difficult for Humans to pass, nevermind a machine. If you have any level of language barrier, you could be really hosed.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#53 Post by Aleema »

Right now, the forum has something in place where if you don't choose a correct timezone, you don't sign up. That seems a bit more difficult than 2+2. Not sure how it works (if it checks to see if you've picked another choice or not, or if it can honestly tell what timezone you should be in??) But plenty of people seem to be signing up anyway.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by OtomeWeekend »

i was about to reply in a certain post titled "SLAM DUNK" But then at the end, it has suspicious links bout billiard etc. :lol: i can't believe i was about to help spambots spam more Dx
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#55 Post by Sapphi »

Don't worry, there was a Yu Yu Hakusho spam post like that that almost got me. I even started typing a reply.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies

#56 Post by LVUER »

Just remember that the links is the dead-give away.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#57 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

jeackyxee0928

I think this "person" is a spam bot. Went to a couple threads made. First was about jewelry in General Discussion. Second was about shoes in Game Makers. With links provided. There's five posts from that person so idk the other three.

Edit: Found 3rd one in completed games about rings...
ImageImageImageImage

LVUER
King of Lolies

#58 Post by LVUER »

You could report his post to admin by clicking the red exclamation button at right bottom corner of every post.

DeviantArt Account

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Just thinking but it would've been funny if a spambot replies here in this thread.lol

luckily, I'm not bumping into spammers lately(almost in every forums I've visit) ---wonder what's up. :lol:

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#60 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

DarkSpartan wrote:Depends on exactly how it's set up. Some of them are difficult for Humans to pass, nevermind a machine. If you have any level of language barrier, you could be really hosed.
I don't know, some of them are really easy for people but nearly impossible for a machine that isn't a super computer. Something as simple as "How many fingers does a human hand have?" is one I've seen. Another I've seen is "What is your username?" that just matches your answer to what you picked for your username.

I read an interesting article that proved that the easier it was for a human to remember a password, the harder it was for a computer to hack or guess that password, while conversely, a random string of letters and numbers for a password was relatively easy for a computer to hack, but difficult for a human to remember.

A password of "RaceHorsesWear4Shoes" would take a super computer DECADES or centuries to crack. While a password of "Tghjy234WXC" could be cracked in hours or days by a super computer. Funny but true, and just some food for thought.