Please do not respond to the Spambots

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Please do not respond to the Spambots

#61 Post by LVUER »

Interesting o_O I just know that. Is "1234" or "abcd" easy to be cracked by computer too?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#62 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote:Interesting o_O I just know that. Is "1234" or "abcd" easy to be cracked by computer too?
Yes. Any simple string or single word is going to be easy for a computer to crack.

Due to some complex math (that I'm not very good at) random strings of letters and numbers are easy to mathematically arrive at for the computer, while two or more normal words that ARE NOT random are much more difficult for the computer to arrive at.

A computer CAN break single word passwords or common phrases easily, by using brute force techniques and working through a dictionary or quote book trying every word or entry -> "Itwasadarkandstormynight". But a made up sentence is nearly impossible for it to calculate or arrive at -> "MonkeyCakeAtTheMuseum"

But all that is if merely a COMPUTER is trying to hack a password. A HUMAN hacker will more easily be able to break a password involving human language and phrases, especially if they know the person who made the password -> "Hmm, this guy really likes monkeys, cake, and visiting the museum . . . . I wonder if . . . bingo." However, made up phrases are pretty secure all around, since the chance of another person guessing what phrase you made up is slim, and they can't work their way through a dictionary or quote book to solve it either.

I broke a lot of passwords in high school for school computers because teachers used passwords relating to their profession. Lots of uses of "apple" for example. Bad move. Never use something in your phrase that people would associate with you. (So no "lolies" LVUER!) I tried to hack the science computer for years, with no success, trying new passwords every day. (The science teacher knew this and let me try.) Finally, before I graduated, I asked him what his password was. He told me. "JellybeansAreBadForClowns". It was insane. Also effective. Easy for him to remember, impossible for me to guess.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#63 Post by Wright1000 »

I was a moderator at an anime forum, but we hardly got any spam.
That's because we had three moderators, two global moderators and three administrators.
I think Lemmasoft should also keep more moderators. Just three is not enough.
I can see a lot of spamming these days. It really gets annoying.
Sometimes, I think someone is on the wrong topic or wrong forum and even reply to the spam.
But in the anime forum, I hardly got to see any spam, because the other moderators took care of them as soon as they could.
Last edited by Wright1000 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#64 Post by Taleweaver »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:A computer CAN break single word passwords or common phrases easily, by using brute force techniques and working through a dictionary or quote book trying every word or entry -> "Itwasadarkandstormynight". But a made up sentence is nearly impossible for it to calculate or arrive at -> "MonkeyCakeAtTheMuseum"
What also works is crazy acronyms. Take a line you can remember well, use the first letters, swapping numerical words for numbers, and voila! instant password.

Examples:
A14tmA24ts
"A one for the money, A two for the show" - Elvis, "Blue Suede Shoes", first line
I1ssfaM,1glfM
It's one small step for a Man, one giant leap for Mankind." - Neil Armstrong, first words on the moon
Works like a charm.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Funnyguts
Veteran

#65 Post by Funnyguts »

They... they started adding pictures...

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#66 Post by Chrizine »

Taleweaver wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:A computer CAN break single word passwords or common phrases easily, by using brute force techniques and working through a dictionary or quote book trying every word or entry -> "Itwasadarkandstormynight". But a made up sentence is nearly impossible for it to calculate or arrive at -> "MonkeyCakeAtTheMuseum"
What also works is crazy acronyms. Take a line you can remember well, use the first letters, swapping numerical words for numbers, and voila! instant password.

Examples:
A14tmA24ts
"A one for the money, A two for the show" - Elvis, "Blue Suede Shoes", first line
I1ssfaM,1glfM
It's one small step for a Man, one giant leap for Mankind." - Neil Armstrong, first words on the moon
Works like a charm.
Just one comment:
http://www.xkcd.com/936/
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#67 Post by OtomeWeekend »

...Lately, there's been a lot of spams on guestbook. I saw them like, EVERYDAY. :'D

Also, I'd need to agree with Wright1000, this forum needs at least another moderator/admin. At least an admin who is from Asia? So that we could have the same timezones and we don't need to wait for the sun to rise to reply to a certain thread(much worse if it's my own thread or something). It's just a suggestion, it never hurts to say this right? :)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#68 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

OtomeWeekend wrote:...Lately, there's been a lot of spams on guestbook. I saw them like, EVERYDAY. :'D
Ugh... I've also been seeing spambots everywhere recently. How are they getting past the reCAPTCHA and the Mercury time? Are humans actually creating accounts and then spamming?
Grrr... they're making me burn with rage. :evil:

If it is bots, I have seen this used on some sites: https://www.keycaptcha.com/whatisit/
I don't know if it would be any more effective... (I though it was cool though :lol: )
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#69 Post by Chushiki Maho »

Hey.. I just noticed one thing. The spambots on the guestbook are ALWAYS putting their username as their organization. And as their location, they usually put whatever they're promoting or none.
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#70 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I've made a game of trying to report them. I must've tried about 15 times, but I've only successfully reported 1. You guys are fast...
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#71 Post by Chushiki Maho »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I've made a game of trying to report them. I must've tried about 15 times, but I've only successfully reported 1. You guys are fast...
... OMG YOU TOO...?!? I've only been able to report 2 so far. XD

It's suh a fun game, but dang, you guys are fast... Within minutes it's already been reported. XD
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#72 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Er... if you're counting spam reporting... out of 5, I might have reported 3 or so. :'D Guess like spambots live in the same timezone as me xD
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#73 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Ah, I've noticed a lot of the spam bots changing the subjects for their posts. Could it be programmed to block posts that have a different subject? I don't think anyone uses that function anyway. They also tend to make their organization the same as their username, but I don't think we could do anything about that...
Tsundere VN

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#74 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Erm... just wanna ring the bell to the admins how SPAMS ARE GETTIN' OUT OF CONTROL IN THE GUESTBOOK. Dx

This is why we can't have nice things when our admins in the other part of the world were sleeping TT_TT

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#75 Post by LVUER »

Perhaps assigning an admin that lives in this side of world could help? AFAIK, all current admin live in US (or other western countries).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW