Where to go for art contests?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
dstarsboy
Veteran

Where to go for art contests?

#1 Post by dstarsboy »

Where does one go to do art contests? I don't mean super professional ones that I don't have any chance at partaking in, I mean normal low skill art contests that are just alot of fun, have a good variety and are a good way to practice.

I heard Deviant Art has some but I'm a bit of a newb there and I searched news/forums/everything and could only find a few. Are there any other sites for stuff like this?
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

Re: Where to go for art contests?

#2 Post by dramspringfeald »

It's best that you do not enter Art contests. I know you are looking to boost the people that look at your art and the $ seems tempting but as soon as you submit your artwork to them you loose ALL rights to your work and they just resell it to other companies. meaning people can make money off of your work and you will never see a dime.

It's happened to me and many others.

if you want people to notice you or your work go the forums and let people see your work with a "What do you think?" in it.
if people like your work they'll hire you if not you still keep your work under your name.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

There are lots of contest going on in DA. So much that in one time I want to participate in all of them, and realize that it's simply impossible to do. Try to search them around a bit, or better, join some groups and their affiliates. They have lots of contests. Of course, being unprofessional contest, don't expect some fancy prizes like money or alike. At most, they will give you several months worth of premium memberships or couple hundreds of DA points. Usually, they only give you several of "free" arts (you ask what them to draw).

Outside (in internet), there are also lots of contest. Try wacom sites, they have lots of contest (internally or just posting there), though lately they rarely hold a contest anymore (they used to hold contest regularly, what happened wacom?). But they are professional contest (price could up to several thousands dollars)! Even if not, the competitors are all professionals so non-professionals have slim chance to win...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

dramspringfeald wrote:It's best that you do not enter Art contests. I know you are looking to boost the people that look at your art and the $ seems tempting but as soon as you submit your artwork to them you loose ALL rights to your work and they just resell it to other companies. meaning people can make money off of your work and you will never see a dime.
That only happens if there is a clause. They don't just automatically take your rights and a lot of the smaller competitions are mostly for fun and they don't want the rights. You just have make sure to read over the T and C.

I'm pretty sure there is a place that gathers competitions on DA, I'm just not sure where it is is.

You can try browsing news for competitions http://search.deviantart.com/?qh=sort%3 ... mpetitions or http://search.deviantart.com/?qh=sort%3 ... &q=contest
This forum sometimes has competitions http://forum.deviantart.com/showcase/social/
These are the contest groups http://groups.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... &q=contest

dstarsboy
Veteran

#5 Post by dstarsboy »

Thanks for all of the links, I swear I was searching around that site for an hour and found, like, 1 contest per month, haha. I'm not looking for any money or fame or anything just some fun art practice.

Edit: I just noticed the search links you provided on Deviant art don't show any new contests past December 10 last year... that's why I figured I was looking in the wrong place. But those contest groups were really helpful, I'll definitely search around there.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#6 Post by rioka »

If you want to just practice, then you should try one of the 100 Theme Art Challenges. Since there were so many participants, I've also set one up specifically for our members - Manga Tutorials 100 Theme Challenge. Let me know if you want to be a part of it and I'll add you to the participants list. Membership at the site is not needed; you can also contact me at DA (username: rioka).

We also have a bunch of other events going on at the site here. The most popular are SaiMoe (the next one will start next month) and Pimp My Art!!. If you're into Oekaki's, there is a Contest Room where participants draw oekaki's based off of the current contest theme.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#7 Post by Hayzel »

Erm , gaiaonline has weekly art contests. But you need thick skin