Just in case somebody has experience this

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Just in case somebody has experience this

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ren

#2 Post by Ren »

I can't offer any tip, as I am totally clumsy with computers, but i must admit i already read about this method on a webcomic bbs(Gui shin tae chi iirc)O_O
Too bad it only went to 80%T_T
Next time try with a microwave oven?j/k...don't do itO_O

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

It seems like only yesterday...

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1083

Folks, let this be a lesson to you... back up on a regular basis!
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#4 Post by Alessio »

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that one. Glad to hear saving the data worked out!

(On a side note, I really don't understand why so few people make backups. Sure, nothing is 100% desaster-proof, backup media can get corrupted too. But I'm wondering why somebody would not even consider making a backup. It's just a pity when work gets lost (be it Ren'Py or whatever). It's not about technical failure either, the most common misfortune will be human error, like deleting or overwriting files by mistake.)
Last edited by Alessio on Sun May 28, 2006 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

good thing all my ren'py games are stored on web servers as well as backup dvd-r's

That tip from your friend sounds like the one about scratched cds and toothpaste
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedSlash
Veteran

#7 Post by RedSlash »

Then I called a friend (A Veteran Computer Technician) and said wrap around my Harddisk in a waterproof bag and put it in the fridge... WHAT!?
What the... that is screwed up!!!! But I'll be sure to try that when my HD goes down.

So how does one revive a laptop HD? Freeze the laptop?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

The page linked to gives possible explanations as to why making the HD cold works. It seems logical enough but it's amusing how it seems like absolutely no one really tried to get a complete scientific explanation. I guess people like it better when it looks like magic :)