Japanese vs Korean themed

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Japanese vs Korean themed

#16 Post by Samu-kun »

Greeny wrote:Just keep in mind that in Korea they eat rice with a spoon.
That's not actually true. Most people eat rice with chopsticks in Korea. What is true is that in Japan, most people eat rice while holding the bowl in their hands while in Korea you have to keep the bowl on the table.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

Sexo Grammaticus wrote:
And, if you leave a fan running in a closed room, you will die.
Huh? Why? o_O
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#18 Post by Aleema »

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

#19 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

Because that's just how S-KDiddy Dawg rolls, yo.

Also I guess ultimately the question as to why VNs aren't as popular in South Korea (or any other country I guess) as they are in Japan is that ultimately, VNs are successful in Japan because they corner the market on catering to various cliques and pandering to fan groups. There's nothing inherently flash or spectacular about VNs as a medium - they're popular in Japan because they (or at least, enough of them) catered to the right people at the right time, and eventually just kinda became ingrained in a set of society. Most VNs are garbage, but they're garbage that makes the loins of certain groups of people moist, so that's why they stay. They've just kinda metastasised their way into Japanese culture through persistence and special interest.

Of course this is just a blanket rule and there are always exceptions.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

LVUER
King of Lolies

#20 Post by LVUER »

LOL. I just know about that, a misconception indeed. I've sleep several times in a locked room with fan turned on all night long and I still around to type this post, so I'm a walking living proof that it's wrong... though climate must be accounted into factor too (I live in tropical climate which never too hot and never too cold).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#21 Post by Greeny »

Samu-kun wrote:
That's not actually true. Most people eat rice with chopsticks in Korea. What is true is that in Japan, most people eat rice while holding the bowl in their hands while in Korea you have to keep the bowl on the table.
Really? I was on a school trip in Korea and the guide told us that's how you're suppposed to eat your rice.
I am shocked.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Aetheria
Regular

#22 Post by Aetheria »

fwiw, I've got legions of Korean immigrant relatives here in the US and have never seen any of them eat rice with a spoon. I often eat my rice with a spoon, but that's because I'm a lazy bum who hates trying to get the last grain of rice out of the bottom of the bowl with chopsticks.

oh, and I guess if you were eating bibimbap or something, you would use a spoon... eh, I don't really know anything about Korean food except that I like eating it, so don't listen to me. :wink:

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#23 Post by Snowflower »

I'm a Korean.

We use chopsticks to eat rice. Unlike the Chinese rice (which has no strength so it falls apart), Korean rice (similar to Japanese rice) sticks together so that you can easily pick them up with a chopstick. Spoon is used to eat the fried rice, or the rice that has been mixed with some sort of soup (because by then, it has lost its strength).
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#24 Post by manga_otaku »

*offtopic*
Snowflower wrote:Unlike the Chinese rice (which has no strength so it falls apart)
Chinese rice does not fall apart!
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#25 Post by Samu-kun »

She means Jasmine rice, which is actually from Thailand, apparently. Koreans (derogatorily) call it Chinese rice, heh.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#26 Post by Snowflower »

I never knew they were Jasmine rice, but they also serve them in Chinese restaurants here in America?
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube

LVUER
King of Lolies

#27 Post by LVUER »

There are two kind of rice. I don't know the official names, but they are really easy to differentiate. The rice that Japanese usually eats (and grows, let call them Japanese rice to simplify things) are big and fat. They are also sticky making them easy to eat with chopstick. But you could ruin those rice if you use too much strength when washing them.

The second one is which the rest of Asia eats (Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and so on). It's far thinner (like comparing sunflower seed with peanuts) and not sticky. I usually eat this one since this is the most common type of rice in my country. Even a Japanese restaurant use this kind of rice nowadays, only adding some kind of additive (some kind of jelly to make them sticky) to keep the price down.

BTW, we (Indonesian) use spoon to eat rice. We eat from a plate (not bowl). If not using spoon, we use our hands (yes, bare hands) and obviously we wash our hands throughly before eating

DeviantArt Account

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#28 Post by Snowflower »

ah yes, the rice I've been used to is the fat ones (sticky rice), and the thin ones I receive in Asian restaurants besides Korean & Japanese

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#29 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

LVUER wrote:There are two kind of rice. I don't know the official names, but they are really easy to differentiate. The rice that Japanese usually eats (and grows, let call them Japanese rice to simplify things) are big and fat. They are also sticky making them easy to eat with chopstick. But you could ruin those rice if you use too much strength when washing them.

The second one is which the rest of Asia eats (Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and so on). It's far thinner (like comparing sunflower seed with peanuts) and not sticky. I usually eat this one since this is the most common type of rice in my country. Even a Japanese restaurant use this kind of rice nowadays, only adding some kind of additive (some kind of jelly to make them sticky) to keep the price down.

BTW, we (Indonesian) use spoon to eat rice. We eat from a plate (not bowl). If not using spoon, we use our hands (yes, bare hands) and obviously we wash our hands throughly before eating
Actually there are many types of rice, but they are broken into two groups, short grain and long grain. The Japanese use short grain which is similar to the Arborio rice western countries use for risottos. Countries further south use long grain, like Jasmine and Basmati. Oh the wonderful world of rice~

On topic, stuff like this is important since stuff like food forms a major part of culture. If you talk about Korean food (in a casual manner, not like an encyclopaedia) than it will help immerse the reader in a Korean setting.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#30 Post by LVUER »

I see. We could learn new things everyday :) I prefer short grain, but there's only long grain in my country. Though I read somewhere that rice is a bad diet (low fiber high carbohydrate). But there's a saying in my country that "if you don't eat rice, then you haven't eat yet"

Anyway, this kind of VN could make a good use of hyperlink (not hyperlink in HTML, but the one in RenPy).

DeviantArt Account