Japanese vs Korean themed

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

Japanese vs Korean themed

#1 Post by Snowflower »

I know this might be a weird question since I know the whole anime/manga thing is mostly Japanese thing. But I've been always wondering about this (after all, I am Korean) why the VN since isn't that popular in Korean version, like the majority of the names are Japanese, or American. I've never seen a Korean one.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've been thinking of making my next VN with names in Korean, but I don't know if it'd work or not since all the honorifics and etc would be Korean version, and not that many people would know what is what.

Maybe not... I don't know... Since Korean manhwa is pretty popular too.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Japanese vs Korean themed

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I read a whole heap of Manwha so I am familiar with Korean honorifics, so i would have a problem with it. There is no reason why you couldn't include a little reference guide people could bring up if the forgot what something meant. It would be good to expose other cultures. As you are Korean, it seems fine to use the names in most circumstances as long as it fit the conditions eg. set in Korea, the characters are Korean or it is not set on Earth. If it is set in America it would be odd to have the characters with Korean names if they are not actually Korean.

Korean names are slightly more complicated than Japanese names because they use three names (?) so I would advice that you make the names very distinctive of each other so people not used to the language will remember who is who.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#3 Post by Snowflower »

Yes, the plot will be set in S. Korea, so the names will make sense, with the exception of one foreign exchange student. I myself have attended school in Korea before for a little over 3 years previously, so I also know what they are like. heehee. Not to mention I've watched countless #s of Korean shows.

I was planning on making like a post, or link, to Korean honorifics or any other words people who aren't familiar won't know what they mean.

As for the 3 names, to some people it may seem that way but Korean names consist of a first name and a last name, only the last name is said first and first name after (e.g. Siwon Choi, ahhahahaha Super Junior to those who know XD Siwon Choi is the English way to write it, but it would be Choi Siwon in Korean. Siwon being the first name and Choi being the last. The first names in Korean usually consist of basically 2 syllables, which gives the illusion of 2 words because most of the time when typed in English, they are separated. Anyway, I think I'm going a little bit off topic in a confusing way. XD )
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Ooooooh, I have always wondered about that. In that case, if it is grammatically correct, I would stick with just two names instead if breaking it into syllables. People (internet wise) are familiar with last name first protocol (as long as you keep it consistent and make it clear at the beginning) but the three name thing is very confusing, I was unsure what was what. Like Sa Kyoung Kim. I would be unsure what was the last name, what was first, what you would call them. I thought it might be similar to english middle names, but the use of them was different.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#5 Post by Snowflower »

I have indeed thought about the whole name confusion issue. So basically, I've been thinking of writing the names like this in case of the name you used... SaKyoung Kimor Sa-Kyoung Kim so that people will know which is which.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I would go with the hyphen, it makes more sense to an english speaker than a capital in the middle of a word. Though we do use it in Mc names. I just think a hyphen looks better. Such complication over names XD

Other than that I don't think you will come across too many complication. There are quite a few similarities between Japanese and Korean cultures because of origin and the way they influenced each other. Especially over the time Japan occupied Korea. South Korea is probably easier to deal with compared to North Korea too. There are lots of nice unique things to draw from as well which would be nice. The thing would be to get a balance between what people are familiar with and new information.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#7 Post by Snowflower »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I would go with the hyphen, it makes more sense to an english speaker than a capital in the middle of a word. Though we do use it in Mc names. I just think a hyphen looks better. Such complication over names XD

Other than that I don't think you will come across too many complication. There are quite a few similarities between Japanese and Korean cultures because of origin and the way they influenced each other. Especially over the time Japan occupied Korea. South Korea is probably easier to deal with compared to North Korea too. There are lots of nice unique things to draw from as well which would be nice. The thing would be to get a balance between what people are familiar with and new information.
Hyphens it is! Even though I don't think any of the names I chose really needs them.

I kind of felt like there needs to be a Korean-influenced VN since I saw a lot of Japanese kind, and since they are similar, most people will understand quite fast, yeah?

& good thing I'm S. Korean XD

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Snowflower wrote:I know this might be a weird question since I know the whole anime/manga thing is mostly Japanese thing. But I've been always wondering about this (after all, I am Korean) why the VN since isn't that popular in Korean version, like the majority of the names are Japanese, or American. I've never seen a Korean one.
Dude, no idea. Culturally, Japan and Korea are miles apart (at least speaking of traditional culture; the countries actually share quite a few similarities when it comes to modern/pop culture of which manga/manhwa is only one), but most VNs are set in an environment where traditional culture doesn't matter much. What happens at a high school in Tokyo shouldn't be much different from what happens at a high school in Seoul, both cities have an urban life and youth culture, both are basically too large and crowded for comfort, and love and romance are basically the same around the world.

I would be thrilled to see a visual novel that deals with themes that can only be found in Korea, not Japan - something a love story between a schoolgirl from Seoul and the son of a dissident from North Korea who was smuggled across the border to the south by his father even though he believes in the political system of the country where he grew up.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

Story about North and South Korea DMZ soldiers who watched World Cup together. There's already a movie about this, so why not a VN. There's no romance element in it, but we could always add some in it :)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#10 Post by Samu-kun »

I've thought about making a Japanese/Korean visual novel, mostly because I'm fascinated how the two countries, even though they're just a stone's throw from each other, are cultural opposites. It's easy to just assume that they'll all be the same because they're near each other, but they are very different places to live in and have their own distinct "feels."

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Samu-kun wrote:I've thought about making a Japanese/Korean visual novel, mostly because I'm fascinated how the two countries, even though they're just a stone's throw from each other, are cultural opposites. It's easy to just assume that they'll all be the same because they're near each other, but they are very different places to live in and have their own distinct "feels."
Though that can be said for a lot of countries. Just look at England and France.

I like the idea of the DMZ, you could actually get away with a fair bit of humour in an otherwise highly political charged atmosphere. It is like the stories of Australian and Turkish soldiers having conversations at Gallipoli. I definitly think any story dealing with the relationshop between North and South Korea would be interesting, but by it's nature will probably come across political problems. Though it may be cool to ignore the politics of the countries and write a love story despite it. I think a love story would be more potent like that, love trumping politics kind of thing.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

Romeo and Juliet Korea version. Romeo is from North and Juliet is from South (or vice-verse). They are both DMZ soldiers (that how they first met) ^_^

OK, stop being OOT, although Japan and South Korea is close (physically), don't forget that they have some bad blood left by WW2.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#13 Post by Greeny »

Just keep in mind that in Korea they eat rice with a spoon.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

#14 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

Greeny wrote:Just keep in mind that in Korea they eat rice with a spoon.
And, if you leave a fan running in a closed room, you will die.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#15 Post by Death_HUG »

I would love to see a VN set in Korea! (probably because I'm Korean too..) I think there are too many VN set in Japan and I would love to see something different. I also think that writing a story that has to do with North and South Korea would be interesting ^-^.