Ethics of the diet

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: Ethics of the diet

#16 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Efreet wrote:By saying how you hit [kill] someone by mistake and claiming it was an accident does in no way lessen the act, let alone comparing that act to stepping on ants and believing that God will forgive you.
In his mind that ant and the appropriate human are the same in all ways. Thus, but the definitions presented in you post, every life he takes is punishable as an act of involuntary manslaughter if accidental, and murder if not.

That salad he had for dinner last night? By his expressed logic, he's going to prison for innumerable life sentences.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#17 Post by papillon »

People who say "killing a dog is worse than killing a cow because dogs are PETS!" are ridiculous. People who say that "killing a cow is worse than killing a tree because cows are ANIMALS!" are also ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous if you're attempting to make your determination based on whether or not the thing you're killing is intelligent and/or has feelings - it's making a distinction between destroying a thinking creature and destroying something that might as well be an object. The problem is that such a determination is really hard to make accurately.

Most Western adults have either had a pet dog or known someone who had one, and are probably aware that dogs have at least rudimentary intelligence. HOW smart a dog is is hard to quantify (Heck, we have trouble quantifying how intelligent people are, and we can talk to them!) but it's pretty clear that they are not mindless lumps of meat. They are aware of their world, they form relationships, they feel pain and fear. It's not at all difficult to come to the conclusion that harming a dog is wrong.

Most Western adults have barely even seen a cow in real life, other than maybe driving past where one was grazing. We are familiar with the image of a cow just standing there chewing for hours on end, which doesn't make it seem very bright. (My mother, who grew up on a farm, says cows are brighter than we give them credit for.) It's easy to conclude that "The cow is alive and, as a mammal, probably feels pain, but it doesn't really think so it's not AS bad a thing to kill it" - it may not be TRUE because most of us have absolutely no idea what cows are like, and even people who've been around cows can't exactly talk to them to find out what they're thinking, but it's easy to see how people get there.

For ages people have clung to a belief that fish cannot feel pain (or fear) because fish are so far removed from our own form of life, and if they can't feel pain then fishing for fun isn't such a bad thing. Lately scientists are admitting that this is complete nonsense and fish feel pain just like any other life form would, but not everyone knows that. Pain is a pretty basic reflex, it doesn't mean much of anything about their intelligence, but it is there.

When we get to plants it gets even MORE confusing. Plants are clearly extremely different from animals. But as living things, they have a basic set of reactions (usually slow ones) designed to help them avoid destruction. Life wants to live and reproduce, that's what it's FOR. Whether this counts as "feeling" anything is still a matter of debate.

There *are* people who do honestly believe that plants are just as alive as animals and just as worthy of protection - therefore, they only eat foodstuffs that can be obtained without killing either the plants or the animals. That's hard work, but I respect their dedication to their beliefs.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#18 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Honestly, I don't have an issue with people sticking to their beliefs. When I start having issues is when someone decides to push those beliefs. They always have an agenda, whether they realize it or not.

I have a distaste for that sort of human behavior, personally, and this thread at inception is a prime example. Setting aside that the OP c/p'd an entire website just to start a furball, his behavior since has only solidified his agenda in my mind. He uses a series of factoids in an attempt to make an argument both fallacious and repugnant by way of shock tactics.

PETA uses the same tactics, and I'm not huge on their attitude either. It's no different from the Mormons who come to my door wanting to speak about their faith, despite being told repeatedly that we're not interested, and not to return. (This last time, they asked if I was worried at all about my toddler's immortal soul. Next time I call the police).

Whether I believe as they do or not, in any way, shape, or form, their behavior has an agenda, and that agenda has the potential to do harm, as agendas are wont to do.

For myself, I depend on meats and beans and etc for my primary protein sources. I cannot eat nuts, as I'm deathly allergic to them. If PETA and similar activists are successful in their aims, I will be harmed, and through that harm, so too are others harmed, especially my wife and son.

I admit to bias now: I have my own agenda. It's the survival of myself and the people closest to me. If someone else wants to be a veggie-saur, fine. I would have major issues if I tried it, and therefore do not. That's my choice. I'm all about that.

However, when you make an attempt to restrict my choices in a way harmful to me, I can and will speak up.

Now, I've had my ten seconds on the soap-box. Back to the discussion at hand.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#19 Post by Stripe »

You should stop murdering vegetables, too, then, since they're also living things.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#20 Post by Fawn »

Yes, think of the flowers and weeds you've killed by stepping on them! All people should learn how to levitate so they don't harm things that grow in the ground, because they are alive too! You're all evil if you don't! How dare you eat salads, those are living breathing beings... And don't get me started on all the bacteria you've murdered by washing your hands!

This is yet another example of humans thinking that they are anything more than intelligent hairless apes. I am a proud predator, and as much as I love bunnies and things like that, if I was stranded somewhere and starving I wouldn't hesitate to make a spear and kill an animal to survive.
You made your point about the donkey being killed in the last post, trying to make everyone a vegetarian isn't going stop anyone from killing animals. There will ALWAYS be someone who will go by their natural instinct to eat meat- think about it, if you had never heard of your religion before, would you still be a vegetarian? Probably not. You'd just eat anything like most people. Most people don't grow up vegetarians, and it is human nature to keep repeating the same habits...

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#21 Post by MaiMai »

Wright1000 wrote:
MaiMai wrote:
Wright1000 wrote:If you are a Christian, did you forget this-- Though shall not kill.
Each and every religion speaks against animal slaughter.
"Each and every religion" is sort of pushing it especially when you consider that early in early Judaism animal sacrifices were common. And don't even get me started on the Old Testament where the mentions of the first Passover involved butchering a lamb for the Passover Feast. (I am Christian by the way)

Please, please, PLEASE know what you're talking about before you even try to refer to other sources and people to try and support your side Wright100. Because honestly, you're making a very terrible case for your argument by trying to refer to other sources without knowing the full extent of what you're using.
I am not looking for vegetarianism supporter in Lemmasoft.
I was only looking for supporters to support the donkey.
I know most of you will say anything to defend your habit of meat eating.
I already have thousands of other supporters. If you don't want to help the animal, don't.
I don't understand why you're quoting me to support your cause/the donkey, especially when the point of what I said was to point out that referring to the Bible makes your argument invalid because the Ten Commandments has practically nothing to do with animal rights or vegetarianism otherwise. You cripple your position by using contradictory references.

To be frank, it's not a good way to help garner support for a dead donkey especially since you're also eager to say anything to try and make your animal rights position seem superior.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#22 Post by papillon »

In a way this and the marijuana thread are related.

Having meat (or most drugs) in small quantities can be very beneficial. Having meat in huge quantities is generally not good for you. There are a lot of negative societal consequences to the meat industry (or the drug industry) and others, both people and animals, are hurt by them. And many people's opinions are driven by their own desires rather than by the greater good. :)

So in both cases I kinda shrug. It may be preferable to not eat meat and not use drugs, but I'm not in favor of outright bans on either.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#23 Post by jack_norton »

I'm a fan of PETA campaigns full of hot naked babes :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#24 Post by babyfish »

Listen up brothers and sisters,
come hear my desperate tale.
I speak of our friends of nature,
trapped in the dirt like a jail.

Vegetables live in oppression,
served on our tables each night.
This killing of veggies is madness,
I say we take up the fight.

Salads are only for murderers,
coleslaw's a fascist regime.
Don't think that they don't have feelings,
just cause a radish can't scream.

Chorus:
I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (having their insides revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)
How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot juice constitutes murder (and that's a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables go)
It's time to stop all this gardening (it's dirty as hell)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade is a spade)

I saw a man eating celery,
so I beat him black and blue.
If he ever touches a sprout again,
I'll bite him clean in two.

I'm a political prisoner,
trapped in a windowless cage.
Cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips
by killing five men in a rage

I told the judge when he sentenced me,
This is my finest hour,
I'd kill those farmers again
just to save one more cauliflower

Chorus

How low as people do we dare to stoop,
Making young broccolis bleed in the soup?
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, don't mash that potato!

I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (fates in the stirfry are sealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (you fat gormet slob)
How do you think that feels? (leave them out in the field)
Carrot juice constitutes murder (V8's genocide)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (yes, your composts are graves)
It's time to stop all this gardening (take up macrame)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade, is a spade, is a spade, is a spade.....)

~Carrot Juice is Murder, by Arrogant Worms

On side note, anyone can copy and paste propaganda. Backing it up with integrity, legitimacy, and cited sources is a whole n'other ballgame. Until I see some proof to back up these facts, I think I'll have to take this list of 101 Reasons with a grain of salt.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by jack_norton »

Well I don't think you need to "prove it". I mean, trying cost nothing. Obviously, you need to be well informed and not just stop eating meat/dairies all of a suddenly without replacing it with a vegetal alternative (a mistake I've seen in many people who then complained that they felt "weak"). I started a long discussion long ago on indiegamer forums but in the end I gave up, because my English isn't good enough to sustain my arguments and also because some people were clearly not open to even trying, so no point in discussing it at all.

All I have to say (and I've said lots of times) since I became vegan I didn't spend a single day (or hour) in bed, while before I was ill for weeks every winter (and some years even during summer). And I feel better, with more energy than before (I regularly do jogging, I work lots of hours, etc). Believe it or not :)
computer games

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#26 Post by MaiMai »

I actually respect people who can maintain a good vegetarian or vegan diet. I think it's a great way to exercise control over what you eat and the healthy benefits are a plus too. (I also love vegan cookies. So delicious...)
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

babyfish
Veteran

#27 Post by babyfish »

jack_norton wrote:Well I don't think you need to "prove it". I mean, trying cost nothing. Obviously, you need to be well informed and not just stop eating meat/dairies all of a suddenly without replacing it with a vegetal alternative (a mistake I've seen in many people who then complained that they felt "weak"). I started a long discussion long ago on indiegamer forums but in the end I gave up, because my English isn't good enough to sustain my arguments and also because some people were clearly not open to even trying, so no point in discussing it at all.
Actually, I was not referring to the benefits of being a vegan as that which needed to be proved. Rather I was referring to the list of facts posted at the very beginning of the thread, drawn from this site here.

Take a few cases in point:

"#8: In third world countries 1 in 10 babies die before their first birthday." Just how is this relevant to the topic of vegetarianism/vegan? It's in the list, but where's the connection. Does this mean to imply that 1 in 10 babies dying because everybody is eating meat? (...And now that I think about it, just where IS our meat coming from?!) Whether or not this has to do with the aforementioned displacement is ambiguous. If there was a connection, or if these figures originate from the same study, it certainly isn't made explicit.

"#57: Eating vast quantities of animal flesh, eggs, milk & butter is a luxury that most of the planet can not afford" What is sentence is trying to communicate is ambiguous at best. Read in a certain way, it implies that we shouldn't be eating meat either the people cannot afford it or that the planet's resources cannot support it.

"#52: If the full ecological cost of meat was passed onto the consumer - the price would be quadrupled (at least)" Okay, but show me the specifics. What is the breakdown/components of that cost? Which study determined the components of the cost and then calculated it?

"#82: Meat is full of traces of antibiotics, hormones, toxins produced by stress & pesticide residues that become concentrated from all the crops they have eaten" Could there not be a similar risk when it comes to eating vegetables that have been exposed to pesticides, or have been 'modded' in some way?"

As for every fact that contains a number of a figure of some sort, I want to know exactly WHERE these numbers are coming from, the studies conducted, the research done. How do I know that these numbers weren't just made up on the fly? Show me the proof.

I'm not saying that whoever wrote this article is a liar. I just find it bizarre that they expect me to believe this list of facts at face value without providing any evidence. It's not even a question about whether the source is relevant or reliable when not a single external source is cited whatsoever.

To clarify, I don't disbelieve the idea that veganism has its own benefits (and its costs). Rather, my beef is with the idea that I could have 101 'facts' thrown at my face without being provided any evidence to show that they are indeed true.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by jack_norton »

Well there's the problem that there are plenty of sources for some things posted, but obviously the "meat industry" often posts (fake) opposite studies. So, vegetarian people keep posting one thing, while the others keep posting the opposite like "red meat is good for health" (LOL).
It's a pointless thing to do honestly when is so easy to try (you can find lots of sources online on how to try vegan food).

If you want some articles with reliable sources, huffington post had several good articles in the past:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-fre ... 39014.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/2 ... 32439.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dianne-ho ... 29348.html

there you go :D
computer games

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#29 Post by RemnantDream »

Ris wrote:You should stop murdering vegetables, too, then, since they're also living things.
And the entire world dies of starvation :D so.. the vegetables will take over the world like I so long ago prophesied..!

@ babyfish: I love that song xD

babyfish
Veteran

#30 Post by babyfish »

jack_norton wrote:Well there's the problem that there are plenty of sources for some things posted, but obviously the "meat industry" often posts (fake) opposite studies. So, vegetarian people keep posting one thing, while the others keep posting the opposite like "red meat is good for health" (LOL).
It's a pointless thing to do honestly when is so easy to try (you can find lots of sources online on how to try vegan food).

If you want some articles with reliable sources, huffington post had several good articles in the past:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-fre ... 39014.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/2 ... 32439.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dianne-ho ... 29348.html

there you go :D
Which is why it's up to the educated and skeptical reader to sort out the good sources from the not-so-reliable.

And to be honest, I was actually thinking along the lines of academic journal articles that have done studies over the years, with research results that can be verified and duplicated across multiple studies done with similar methods. If they've addressed all the counter arguments, great. If they've been peer reviewed, even better.

I don't mean to sound elitist or anything like that. It's just that as a university student, I've been taught to look over my sources with a bit more scrutiny. I'd get a slap on the wrist if I ever tried to cite articles such as those on the huffington post (which I still read for entertainment), since there is reason to doubt their reliability. XD
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish