The things people say to make you stop playing video games.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The things people say to make you stop playing video gam

#16 Post by Applegate »

You realise reading a lot is equally harmful to the eyes? ;)

Back when I lived at home, my mother used to get me away from the computer by saying, "It's my turn now."

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#17 Post by Gear »

Mom: You know, when I was your age, I rode my bicycle outside with my friends.
Me: They had bicycles back then?!
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Celestie
Veteran

#18 Post by Celestie »

Oh, yes, the antisocial attack. *nodsnods*

Ever since I graduated, I prefer sitting at the computer, socializing with people all over the world (in form of these forums, blogs and IMs to RP or something), occassionally meeting up with my friends in real life (wwith whom I'd sometimes chat, too, to make plans or just to talk), sometimes riding a bike somewhere (okay, I admit, physical exercise wasn't high on my to-do list)...and tons of house chores. And playing games, of course.

At some point my mom asked me whether I know some random girl and I replied, yes, I knew her from my grade but I think she is a bit of a dumb girl, not the brightest and stuff and I did not associate with her because in my eye she was the typical big-breasted dumb blond, it may be prejudicial but I didn't mean to offend her, it's just my honest opinion from what I know of her and she just left that kind of impression. And then this:

Mom: "You say she is dumb but instead of playing games and staying at home all time he has a boyfriend and goes out."
Me: "...you know, you don't have to be bright to have a boyfriend and go out."

But my parents favorite lines are: "Stop being childish and play these games like those little kids."
Sure. And that's why some games are labeled R18, some are hightly complicated and require diverse tactical thinking and some are just FOR ALL AGES AND GENERATIONS.

Or: "[-Insert name of Some relative/Pseudo-Friend/Some other kid one'sage they saw-] is not always playing or staiyng indoors to play!"
I am not him/her/them, damnit.

I could go on forever. I doubt you want me to.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#19 Post by Greeny »

I can't wait until I have kids and they grow up.

"Quit playing those video games! How many times have I told you that those Virtual Reality helmets will melt your brain!"
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#20 Post by fleet »

Show your parents some respect, turn off the game and have a real conversation with them. In fewer years than you imagine they will be gone. What will you say then," I wish I'd spent more time playing video games?"
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#21 Post by babyfish »

A few years back, I got a bit of flak from my parents for playing video games, and they'd also use some pretty ridiculous arguments against my gaming habits. But looking back, I understand that they were worried for me. When I imagine how I must look to either my Mom or Dad, engrossed with my eyes glued to the PC screen without end, I can sort of see where their fears came from. If I had a kid like that, I'd probably start to get worried too.

That said, I was able to convince them that gaming wasn't 'destroying my life' by consistently turning in excellent grades, getting a job, and using my own hard-earned money to pay for my games. It wasn't always easy trying to convince them I was gaming responsibly, but in time, they started to ease off and let me do my own thing. Even if I wasn't exactly appreciative at the time, now that I'm looking back, I'm pretty grateful for their concern.

I hope that some day, everyone else will also understand the parents' side of things.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#22 Post by Fawn »

My mom won't let me play video games when I'm sick, she say's I'm not getting enough if I'm playing games. Though I usually just play my ds when I'm sick, I can't bear to sit up and play wii or something xD

But I spend plenty of time with my parents. We watch the news together and talk about life daily.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#23 Post by LVUER »

Agree with that. Believe it or not, I do spent lots of time with my parents and doing house chores. It's not like that we or they have infinite time in this world. Don't take your parents for granted.

They only wish for I to find some (real) girls... which is something I'm not really interested right now... yet (I hope)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Celestie
Veteran

#24 Post by Celestie »

You know, I may sound like I want to defend myself, but I am one hell of NOT rebellious, compared to my little sister. I am the nicest daughter my parents have, despite my gaming obsession and my stubbornness about stopping. I do admit, I don't spend as much time with them, but that's also because they have to work a lot. usually, when they are home, I am not playing. Or I play and talk to them about mundane everyday things and such.

I SUSPECT (or maybe it's another excuse) that my gaming and stuff is just a way to withdraw myself a bit from my parents. Whom either fight with each other or me or my sister. Not every conversation I have with them is nice. So I'd rather play. And talking to my parents about that is difficult, because they are rather narrow-minded. And I hate that narrow-mindedness that tries to shape me instead of accepting how I am at least a bit. [/end excuse xD]

To stay on-topic, and keep in mind, I love my parents, but children just love to complain about parents who are overly doting/regulating (is that the proper term? Non-native English speaker here...xD) 8D :
"Playing video games doesn't help you to have a good future!" (They tell me that about watching anime and reading manga, drawing and writing as well.) Sadly, they are partly right. I don't plan to do anything with programming, because I suck that major times, neither character designing or manga drawing (it's a hobby and I am not good, anyway) or anything with design in general (people suggest it to me; I know my mottivation and inspiration are too fickle for that) and a lot that I play will probably not help me in the future (fantasy? xD). Still, they help me mentally, interpreting things, symbols, getting a deeper meaning out of those entertainment pieces (okay, some are purely entertainment)...hm, okay, mabye it's another excuse.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#25 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Uhhh...

Mom: "Stop playing or your face will turn square!"
Dad: "I'm tired of buying hard drives already. Quit it now."
Brother: "I AM the one who should be playing games! Get outta the PC!"

Me: "My body is on a schedule."

~
Sometimes my mom will make me clean the toilet in order for me to play, or make me do more stupid stuff for her like hang clothes or sweep the terrace. My brother is a DotA addict, and he always want to "practice" on playing, and keeps me out. I usually tell him his eyes might go 20/750 (like mint-and-chocolate :)), but nah, those things don't stop him.
Dad, well... I'm kinda the reason why our hard drive's replaced a million times, soyeah.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#26 Post by jack_norton »

When I was younger my parents/relatives would tell me to stop playing games because would make me blind...
... and hentai games didn't even exist yet! :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#27 Post by azureXtwilight »

@fleet : true dat 8D, now that I now live in the dorm, It kinda made me miss my parents, now I'm only online at night and spend the rest of my days with my parents (At holidays of course)

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#28 Post by SilverxBlue »

EDIT: Yep I removed this one, I was pissed last night so forgive me. -_-

Anyways, to get back on topic... :)
A friend and I were talking about her past boyfriends, then all of a sudden she says this;
Certain friend: "If you don't stop playing, all you will have in life are those sill two dimensional guys. You will never have a boyfriend. Look at me, I already had three."
Me: "I don't really care. At least these two dimensional guys won't force me to do anything I don't want."
Certain friend: "*Is already embarrassed* But, don't they make you stupid?"
Me: "No, they don't. If you want proof, check my report card."
Certain friend changes the topic.
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#29 Post by Snow Blossom »

My obsession is more with manga, so my grandma constantly threatened to burn my entire collection. -__- Oh, and as for games, sometimes my dad threatens to throw away my computer.

PervertPrince
Regular

#30 Post by PervertPrince »

Everyone in my family are mad gamers (it's mostly my dad, my brother and cousins though with my mom having only a slight love for them but it's still love) so I can honestly say I have never had a conversation like this.
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.