The Powah of Scalar Pendants!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

The Powah of Scalar Pendants!

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

I thought this might make for an interesting discussion. The company marketing these supah scalar pendants apparently found its way into my area recently. They're actually using a highly-regarded physics professor from my former university to market their ahem... if you'll pardon the term, bullcrap (lol would you prefer bovine feces?)

Anywayz, they're selling these things for about 215 USD a piece (its equivalent in my currency). Physics professor-kun claims that this thing uses ZOMG scalar energy! To do everything from making you significantly stronger to lowering blood pressure and curing cancer. So basically, it's some kind of wondah-ful magic amulet authenticated by QUANTUM SCIENCE! After all, you can't argue with the physics expert.

Oh and no, no... I'm not at all skeptical about this product. Here's their perfushenal website if you want to know more about these pendants: http://www.scalarenergypendants.com/

So, long story short. What do you guys think of this? Personally? As soon as I heard about the way the magic pendant magically uses scalar fields I instantly thought, "scam!" Oh and... my mother has one of these for evaluation purposes. Try before you buy thing. I immediately told her to return it and threaten to claim for damages instituted with a criminal case for fraud if the seller wouldn't allow rescission of the sale. She claims she felt some kind of heat from the pendant as soon as it touched her skin. Personally, I felt like some cheap piece of plastic or unpolished ceramic material encased in a shiny metallic restraint was touching my skin.

Oh, and I kinda feel like trying it to see if it increases my max speed of 60 pieces per minute in tetris to 180 ppm.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: The Powah of Scalar Pendants!

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Forget scalar pendants! Those are soooooo lame. You need Alex Chiu's immortality devices!

(I'm not even going to provide a link because I don't want to risk increasing his search engine rankings) :roll:

They've been pushing these balance bracelets or something over here that's supposed to be similar to what you described. Here's how they do the demo which I tried at the mall:

Guy tells me to stand on one foot with my arms out to my side. He tells me to keep my balance and my arms out horizontally as he applies pressure downward to my arms.
(I do this and eventually lose balance)
Next, the guy puts the bracelet on me (which seriously looks like it could be made for 5 cents in China) and has me repeat the experiment.
(I do this and don't lose balance :O )

So I say "wow, that's interesting" but I suspect the second time he's not pushing down as hard.
I propose this to him: I'll turn around, either put the bracelet on or keep it off, cover my wrist with my coat sleeve, and then try it again. If the product works, you should be able to tell if the bracelet is on or off by my balance. He agrees, so I turn around, fidget a bit, and then we do the experiment. I noticed my balance ended up being somewhere in between the first two results :lol: which I attribute to the guy probably not being really sure if I had it on or not.

I ask him if he thinks I have the bracelet on or not. He says I didn't balance so well, so I must have have taken it off. I roll up my sleeve and show him it's on. He says "that's good, I'll have to remember that one." I give it back to him, thank him for the interesting experiment, and leave.

So I think that stuff is said bovine feces :)

Thinking about it more, if it's a scam, I hope I didn't give him a way to help fool people 50% of the time....
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Yeah, there are lots of people selling that kind of bracelet in my area too... for quite some time too (perhaps several years ago?) Of course I thought it was a bull instantly. If that thing was real, it's a breakthrough in medical science and everyone will know about it.

Some people that bought those things claim to experience some good effects, but I think it's all more psychologically (you could get sick if you believe you are, and vice verse).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#4 Post by Greeny »

If they're marketing it as quantum physics, you know it's fake. Quantum physics have no scientific basis whatsoever, it's pure speculation.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#5 Post by babyfish »

Disbelief aside, that necklace looks absolutely hideous. XD
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

J. Datie
Veteran

#6 Post by J. Datie »

So equipping the pendant raises attack power, magic strength, gives poison immunity, an MP boost, and adds an extra healing boost? Talk about a game breaker, no wonder they equipped it on their entire party, including the dog.

But man, this has to be real. All the exclamation points aside, they totally prove it's true by linking to a news site. And not just any old, corrupt, corporate run news site, but one run by a doctor. A doctor who claims sunscreen increases your chances for getting skin cancer and AIDS is causes by stress. Plus, it has the word "quantum" in the name. That's like magic, only real because science, you know?

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#7 Post by Efreet »

Oh wow, those pendant/bracelet things. I recognise them, they're here too in the UK except for the fact that they're red and used for ENHANCING YOUR BALANCE WITH A SMALL MAGNET.

Honestly my friend and his girlfriend got scammed into buying two of those red plastic things when they did a 'balance test' with and without the pendant (something like standing on one foot and holding both arms out and having another person tap you). They did the 'test' with me too and I found no different whatsoever, maybe the scammer used more force on one of their taps?

Anyway, I think I'll settle for tinfoil hats, now those work wonders!

0ion9
Regular

#8 Post by 0ion9 »

Greeny wrote:If they're marketing it as quantum physics, you know it's fake. Quantum physics have no scientific basis whatsoever, it's pure speculation.
Are you for real? Quantum physics is very real and already being used. The working of transistor radios, atomic clocks, and lasers, among other things, depend upon quantum physics principles.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#9 Post by Blue Lemma »

@Efreet: You all should have implemented the Lemma Scientific Test! :D Saves at least $20, you can just give me a 10% standard cut.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#10 Post by KomiTsuku »

If you'll believe that, I've got a whole warehouse full of cra... scientific artifacts I've gathered over the years that will grant you all sorts of completely intangible benefits! Geez, you can't simply use a magic pendant to block electromagnetic radiation. If you could, IEDs in Afghanistan wouldn't be a threat because you could just block the detonation signal. I'd return that piece of garbage in a heartbeat.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#11 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

People generally perform better at a task the second time around - even if the exact same amount of force is applied in these 'muscle tests' both with and without the pendant, the test subject will usually do better on the second test. Note that the test instructions specifically say to use the vendor's product on the second test, not the first.

If the pendant does not surround the user with a sphere of darkness, it clearly is permitting at least some electromagnetic radiation to pass unhindered. (Also, I'm reasonably sure that blocking all electromagnetic radiation would be very harmful to living tissue.) You can test it further by putting it next to a cellphone - if the phone can still make calls, it's not blocking whatever frequencies your cellphone uses. I'm reasonably confident that the pendant won't protect you from sunburn (caused by ultraviolet radiation) except in the area directly under the pendant - and a sheet of cardboard will be more effective at that.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.