commission or for free???

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
EQMusic
Regular

commission or for free???

#1 Post by EQMusic »

deleted
Last edited by EQMusic on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funnyguts
Veteran

Re: commission or for free???

#2 Post by Funnyguts »

Figure out the expected project size. If it seems small and easy enough, then do it for free (or maybe ask for a small payment, like $15, if the person asking you to do it can afford it). The more time-consuming you think a project might be, the more money you should ask for.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Applegate »

I think it depends; working for free means you aren't tied by anything other than your own sense of responsibility to finish the work promised. It lends you more freedom and flexibility, and lets you reach out to people who don't/can't pay for your services.

If you ask money, people will expect a certain level of quality from the works, and you bind yourself to responsibility to finish the work the moment you receive money for it. It makes the job more responsible, but it's obviously more rewarding. Also, people who ask for money can generally be trusted more to deliver on the work because they have an actual stake in the work, whereas people who work for free needn't have any actual interest in whether the work finishes or not─they stand to gain or lose nothing on a monetary level, and internet cred can easily be replaced with a new account.

The most important thing I think you should consider is that when you're offering paid services, you can always offer your work for free if you really like a project but someone can't pay you; that way, you're not doing free work for a project you're not really involved with, and when you do work with projects you don't particularly feel the same drive for as the maker (or worse, if they lose motivation and quit), you're at least compensated with money.

:-) That's my thoughts on the matter.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#4 Post by Funnyguts »

Oh, another thing to consider: Is the work you're going to help out be sold commercially? If so, you could ask for a small cut of the profits instead of a flat fee.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

Be aware that there are a LOT of would-be musicians out there. I mean, a LOT. Anyone who makes games for money tends to get inundated with offers. Plenty of people offer to work for free! (And those are _definitely_ rejected, as it almost guarantees they won't be able to finish anything on a schedule.)

You may find it simpler to make songs yourself, not as part of a project, and then offer them up for licensing - cheap or free for free games, more expensive for commercial ones. You can sell them to multiple people that way and you won't be left hanging by projects that never go anywhere.

EQMusic
Regular

#6 Post by EQMusic »

deleted
Last edited by EQMusic on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by HigurashiKira »

Generally, in that sitation you can order them to stop selling it by threatening legal action. You are still the owner of the music, so if you don't want your music to be sold in another form make sure to state that when giving that person the music.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Funnyguts
Veteran

#8 Post by Funnyguts »

Clearly mark your copyright. If you make a song to be used for free, I recommend putting it under a Creative Commons Non-Commerical license. That way, people can use your song for other free games and you won't have to make a new song for every person that wants one of yours in their game, but they won't be able to make money off of it unless they talk to you and ask for your permission.

If you make a song that you know will be going into a commercial game, your best option is to discuss with the game makers about who owns what and come to an agreement.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#9 Post by TsukiShima »

Ohoho~ Hey there, I'm one of your requester and I can assure you that I won't sell my game.

Anyway, what they said are just right. If you know that a person will be making money using your musics in it, you should ask for your half, because you deserve it and you are consider one of makers for the game. If they refuse, just report them as stealing your copyrighted musics. Everyone would know that is not fair for you.

The best way to do this is to really confirm with the person who is requesting for your musics, whether it is for commercial or free, before giving them the green flag. It's hard to know if the person can be trusted or not unless they are your friends.