English is really funny

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: English is really funny

#76 Post by Applegate »

HigurashiKira wrote:Fun Fact:
Modern English is the bastard child of Germanic and Latin.
And French, and whatever the Vikings spoke...

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#77 Post by Wright1000 »

This may be a bit off the topic, but this is a very interesting joke.
Once, GB Shaw was in a meeting where people were sharing their views about money. GB Shaw remarked that if the price is right, a normal person will be willing to do anything, to surrender anything, even honor. A lady protested, "That's not right."
Shaw replied, "If I give you a million dollars, right now, will you sleep with me?"
The lady replied, "Yes, for a million dollars, why not?"
"Then will you do it for one dollar?"
The lady replied, "What do you think I am, a prostitute?"
Shaw replied, "That has already been confirmed. But we are talking about the price now."
The lady was left tongue-tied!
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#78 Post by Taleweaver »

Wright1000 wrote:It the people of Turkey are called Turks, why aren't the people of Germany called Germs?
As I child, I had a lot of fun with the fact that Indians could come both from India and the U.S... though the latter are called "Native Americans" now.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#79 Post by Wright1000 »

Taleweaver wrote:
Wright1000 wrote:It the people of Turkey are called Turks, why aren't the people of Germany called Germs?
As I child, I had a lot of fun with the fact that Indians could come both from India and the U.S... though the latter are called "Native Americans" now.
Yeah, I was really confused about that too (some years ago). When the native Americans were called "Indians" in movies or games, I thought maybe they were my ancestors. But they looked so different and spoke different languages we couldn't even understand. Later, I understood that they were a different class of "Indians".

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#80 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Wright1000 wrote:
Taleweaver wrote:
Yeah, I was really confused about that too (some years ago). When the native Americans were called "Indians" in movies or games, I thought maybe they were my ancestors. But they looked so different and spoke different languages we couldn't even understand. Later, I understood that they were a different class of "Indians".
As legend goes, that is because Columbus thought he had gotten to India (he thought he could get there faster by going in the opposite direction from usual). Instead he had landed in America and mistakenly called the natives 'Indians'. Probably confused the hell out of everyone at that point.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#81 Post by Wright1000 »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: As legend goes, that is because Columbus thought he had gotten to India (he thought he could get there faster by going in the opposite direction from usual). Instead he had landed in America and mistakenly called the natives 'Indians'. Probably confused the hell out of everyone at that point.
I must disagree with that.
At that time, our India was not called India. It was called "Bharat" or "Hindustan".
"Hind" is the short for of Hindustan.
When British invaded India, instead of saying "Hind", they said "Ind" which soon became "India".
And Christopher Columbus was born long before that.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#82 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Wright1000 wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote: As legend goes, that is because Columbus thought he had gotten to India (he thought he could get there faster by going in the opposite direction from usual). Instead he had landed in America and mistakenly called the natives 'Indians'. Probably confused the hell out of everyone at that point.
I must disagree with that.
At that time, our India was not called India. It was called "Bharat" or "Hindustan".
"Hind" is the short for of Hindustan.
When British invaded India, instead of saying "Hind", they said "Ind" which soon became "India".
And Christopher Columbus was born long before that.
That is why I said 'As legend goes'. However, Columbus did reach America by trying to get to the East Indies, which was known to Europe since the Silk Road existed.
Never admitting that he had reached a continent previously unknown to Europeans, rather than the East Indies he had set out for, Columbus called the inhabitants of the lands he visited indios (Spanish for "Indians").
Columbus was Italian and worked for the Spainish. Are you sure it was the British that tagged India India? From my reading, it would seem the area was know as East Indies long before the British colonised. I'm not sure, I am only vaguly aware of that period of history.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#83 Post by Wright1000 »

I'm not sure what name the the Europeans used.
But India was known at "Hindustan" by most Asian countries at that time.

Back on the topic: If the plural of ox is oxen, why isn't the plural of box boxen?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#84 Post by LVUER »

Really, I think we should stop talking about how funny English is. It's not funny anymore (not that I'm siding with English), it's starting to get old... unless someone have another fresh good joke about English.

Example about how funny other language is. In Indonesia, dashing/cool (for man) is "gagah". Add a prefix and suffix -> "men-gagah-i"/"mengagahi". What do you think it becomes? It shouldn't be far away from dashing/cool, right? Dead wrong. The meaning is now "to rape". Awesome, huh!? (-__-)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#85 Post by Wright1000 »

LVUER wrote:Really, I think we should stop talking about how funny English is. It's not funny anymore (not that I'm siding with English), it's starting to get old... unless someone have another fresh good joke about English.

Example about how funny other language is. In Indonesia, dashing/cool (for man) is "gagah". Add a prefix and suffix -> "men-gagah-i"/"mengagahi". What do you think it becomes? It shouldn't be far away from dashing/cool, right? Dead wrong. The meaning is now "to rape". Awesome, huh!? (-__-)
Just because you are not finding any interest in this, doesn't mean that it's boring.
It's true that for most people this is all rubbish.
Just like if someone tries to teach me some chemistry formulas, it will be all boring for me.
In the same way, only some people, especially English writers can understand the funny side of English. For others, its boring.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#86 Post by Gear »

LVUER wrote:Example about how funny other language is. In Indonesia, dashing/cool (for man) is "gagah". Add a prefix and suffix -> "men-gagah-i"/"mengagahi". What do you think it becomes? It shouldn't be far away from dashing/cool, right? Dead wrong. The meaning is now "to rape". Awesome, huh!? (-__-)
O_o Oi. It's that kind of thing that scares people trying to learn foreign languages.

This still ties in with English a bit, but apparently American Sign Language is based off French Sign Language, and they have 70% of their signs in common. But if a British Sign Language 'speaker' and someone who 'speaks' ASL try to talk, they'll only have 1% of their signs in common (to include the alphabet signs), so communication is virtually impossible that way, despite them both speaking a...I suppose dialect...of English.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#87 Post by PyTom »

But if a British Sign Language 'speaker' and someone who 'speaks' ASL try to talk, they'll only have 1% of their signs in common (to include the alphabet signs), so communication is virtually impossible that way, despite them both speaking a...I suppose dialect...of English.
IIRC, ASL isn't really a dialect of English, but it's own language - albeit one that can incorporate English words via fingerspelling.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#88 Post by HigurashiKira »

It's a miracle no one has posted Abbot and Costello's "Who's on First?"

Layman's explination here.
ONLY READ IT IF YOU DO NOT GET THE JOKE

And another english joke:
"An airplane employee named John Gay is taking a flight using one of the free tickets he gets from his job. Not liking his assigned seat, he switches with someone else. Unfortunately, the plane is overbooked, so the flight attendant has to go and ask people to give up their seats, starting with holders of free tickets. She asks the man who took Mr. Gay's seat "Are you Gay?" He says "Well, yes, miss, I am." She says, "You'll have to give up your seat." Realizing what happened, the actual John Gay stands up and says "no, no, I'm Gay." A third man stands up and says "Hell, I'm gay too. They can't throw all of us off the plane." "
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#89 Post by Taleweaver »

Modern version of above:

(Though not so modern anymore, but it still works...)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#90 Post by Aleema »

Something that has bothered me since I was a little girl (because my parents would take advantage of it) is the phrase "Do you mind?" The positive response is "no", and the negative is, "yes." Yes, I would mind if you sat there. No, I don't mind if you take the chair. But it seems to me that people have to take an extra second to process when I say "no" instead of "sure" or "go ahead". It's like ... I have to say the wrong thing for people just to understand me, or make overly dramatic hand gestures and smile as big as I can to let them know I'm answering positively. It seems the only good response to this question is the wrong one, and that bothers me sometimes.