Any recommended books?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
RhyukiChan

Re: Any recommended books?

#16 Post by RhyukiChan »

IonicMomo wrote:
RhyukiChan wrote:My library card is free. o.o
Same here, and I use the same card at 4-5 libraries in other cities. I thought that was why I paid taxes!
I use mine on multiple county libraries. o.o Isn't that how its supposed to work? O.O

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#17 Post by Snow Blossom »

In order from light-hearted to dark/psychological: Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen), Wuthering Heights (Charlotte Bronte), and Snow Country (Yasunari Kawabata). Oh, and Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov, which doesn't really fit into that categorization. It's more than mildly disturbing, but the language is amazing.

Arcanum
Veteran

#18 Post by Arcanum »

I second Bartimaeus and the Gaiman+Pratchett combo!

Also, for scifi, I really enjoyed Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033, which spawned not one, but two games =D The book is a little but different from the FPSs, though (less shooting). It tells the story of Artyom, a russian boy who lives in the Moscow Metro (which was built as a nuclear shelter during the cold war) after the entire world got blown up and weird mutations appeared in the surface. The world building is INCREDIBLE and I rather like the characters. Human struggle continued in the subway system even after the war. Nazists, communists, batshit religions and even a hanseatic league fight to have the power over the metro and, meanwhile, a worst terror crawls through the subway sinister passages. It's a really cool, scary book! Artyom travels the stations filled with dangers in attempt to save the remains of humanity froma greated danger. Here's the TVTropes on it: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/L ... /Metro2033

Another good scifi is Karin Lowachee's Warchild trilogy. Warchild tells a war between aliens and humans, fueled by pirates, through 3 points of view (a human who sides with the aliens, a priviledged, bratty boy and a pirate). It's very interesting in the way it reconstructs the war from three entirely differents POV… Here's the TVTropes on it: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... hildSeries

I also recommend The Traitor Game, by B.R. Collins. It's about two boys who create a world in their imagination - history, maps, letters, everything related to worldbuilding. And after a fight between them the book spend the chapters alterning between their real life and their imaginated couterparts, the son of a king and a rebel turned into slave. It's very dramatic, beautiful, and one of my favorite books ! The TVTropes is a courtesy of moi =D http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... raitorGame

Anthy
Regular

#19 Post by Anthy »

Demian by Hermann Hesse (any Hesse really)
Night on the Galactic Railroad by Kenji Miyazawa
try some Haruki Murakami
and a nice dose of Fyodor Dostoevsky (I loved Crime and Punishment too)

I probably don't read as much as I should.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#20 Post by sake-bento »

RhyukiChan wrote:
IonicMomo wrote:
RhyukiChan wrote:My library card is free. o.o
Same here, and I use the same card at 4-5 libraries in other cities. I thought that was why I paid taxes!
I use mine on multiple county libraries. o.o Isn't that how its supposed to work? O.O
I have a whole stack of library cards because I need a different one for every city in the area. o_o They're all free, though.

I'm particularly fond of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. It's a modern day spin on Greek mythology that follows the life of a kid who discovers he's a demigod. It's YA fiction, so it does get a little childish at parts, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm also partial to anything by Jim Butcher, most notably the Dresden Files. It's a modern fantasy series about a wizard/private eye for hire in Chicago. Kind of dark, definitely sarcastic, and very amusing.

RhyukiChan

#21 Post by RhyukiChan »

sake-bento wrote:I'm particularly fond of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. It's a modern day spin on Greek mythology that follows the life of a kid who discovers he's a demigod. It's YA fiction, so it does get a little childish at parts, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm also partial to anything by Jim Butcher, most notably the Dresden Files. It's a modern fantasy series about a wizard/private eye for hire in Chicago. Kind of dark, definitely sarcastic, and very amusing.
I read that whole series :'D , movie kinda disappointed me tho D: Spoiler:
they finally kiss on 5th book , why taking so long o3o lol

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by HigurashiKira »

I reccomend the Scarpetta series. The books are just the perfect read on a rainy day. (Considering that the main character works as a forensic pathologist, I think that rain makes things more fitting)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#23 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Yep! I also read Percy Jackson and it's a really nice read.
Percabeth FTW! XD
I've never read this, but my friend likes Fallen by Lauren Kate. All I know is that it's about some sort of forbidden love. I haven't read it, but I'll borrow the books from her and see. 8D

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#24 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I go in for a lot of older Sci-fi, from before the sci-fi people went either Cyberpunk, Steampunk, extremely hard, or super-fantasy.

As for a specific book, Starship Troopers and Ender's Game get my vote.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#25 Post by Sapphi »

@ Everyone wondering about my ridiculous library card:

I live in a small town about 15 minutes away from Kankakee, IL, whose library is free only to people who live in the city of Kankakee. I just checked their site and apparently it now costs $150 to get a card if you don't live within city limits. :(

We have a few other libraries near Kankakee whose cards they also honor, but at least one of those libraries charges you $135 for their card (the other two whose sites I checked have no information available on their site).

Soo, yeah... if you like reading, don't live in a town with a population of like 1250 people. :(
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Celestine
Veteran

#26 Post by Celestine »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Well, my favourite books of all time are the Black Jewel Trilogy by Anne Bishop... but they may be a little too old for you. They are a good example of literature targeted at females though, so maybe later on in your life.
Wait. Must warn you though if you can stomache mentions of slavery, then it is a good read. That part rather surprised me. They also hint sexual aggression in way if you read it I'd rather not mention. :?
Young Adult of course Harry Potter series.
Paranormal YA : Den of Shadow series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Romance: Paradise by Judith McNaught

not certain what this was under but got it at library once
The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

Apparently they made a movie out of it too.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Out-of-topic: Whenever I plan on buying the hard-cover or the least is paperback cover of Harry potter series...I always gets distracted by either a different book or an otome game x.x
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#28 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Celestine wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Well, my favourite books of all time are the Black Jewel Trilogy by Anne Bishop... but they may be a little too old for you. They are a good example of literature targeted at females though, so maybe later on in your life.
Wait. Must warn you though if you can stomache mentions of slavery, then it is a good read. That part rather surprised me. They also hint sexual aggression in way if you read it I'd rather not mention. :?
Slavery is the least of your problems with that series. It is really targeted at adults in terms of content. I read it when I was 12 and was fine with it, so it really depends on what you do and don't read, but overall, it's not teenage fiction. It's my favourite series, but younger people should probably stay clear unless they are into the much darker stuff.

Everybody should read Good Omen by Terry Prachet and Neil Gaimen. It's excellent! And if you can get a hold of the edition with the foreword by them, it's also entertaining to read.
I quite enjoyed the Dresden File books I have read, even if I sometimes felt the characteristation was a little... idealistic as it where. They are pretty entertaining though.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by OtomeWeekend »

another out-of-topic Dx: I donated my book, Gone with the Wind 2 years ago at our school library...now, I bought the VERY same book once again. Dx

at first i was disappointed by the somehow slow pace of the book and never finished it but after reading a few review about it and learning a bit more about it, i wanted to read it agian. :))
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Kumori
Regular

#30 Post by Kumori »

I recommend the Skulduggery Pleasant series to anyone who is looking for a bit of humour and a bit of action and a bit of childish writing. Because the book is aimed for children.

I also like Sophie McKenzie books, but I would only recommend them to teenagers who are looking for romance and action in the same book.