Pottermore! An interactive site for HP fans!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm
Organization: TwinTurtle Games
Contact:

Pottermore! An interactive site for HP fans!

#1 Post by Rewritten Ennui » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 pm

In the interactive world of Pottermore, fans of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series can become wizards and witches themselves and experience the magic of being a student at Hogwarts!

... I'm not trying to advertise, but is anyone else here interested in this newfangled site? It's the latest buzz topic at my school, and the beta is supposed to end by the time October is almost over. I might check it out since I am a witch immensely enjoyed the original series.

And while we're here, what house would you be in? I'd probably be either Slytherin or Ravenclaw.

Edit: Have no clue what I'm talking about? Here's the FAQ from the official blog. To find out which house you're in, take this personality quiz and tell us your highest scores.
Pottermore Insider wrote:Will Pottermore be available in multiple languages?
Yes. Initially, Pottermore will be available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. We are aiming to introduce more languages in the future – including Japanese and Korean later this year. You’ll be able to keep track of language availability here on the Insider.

Will Pottermore be free?
Yes, access to Pottermore will be completely free; you won’t have to pay anything to use the site. The Pottermore Shop will have items in it that you’ll be able to buy, but choosing to purchase something – or not – won't affect your progress through the story as the Shop sits outside of the online reading experience.

Can you please explain what you mean by 'online reading experience'? How much will I, as a Pottermore user, be able to affect the story? After all, hasn't Harry's story already been told?
The best way to think of Pottermore is as an interactive, illustrated companion to the books. J.K. Rowling wanted to create a site where her stories could live on and where readers could explore them in a new way. In addition to discovering new material from J.K. Rowling about Harry’s world, you’ll be able to interact with key story Moments (the Sorting Hat sequence, for example) and upload your own comments, thoughts and artwork for all the characters, objects and places that you come across.

So Pottermore isn't a massively multiplayer online role-playing game like World of Warcraft, or a social network game like Farmville?
No. While there will be some simple games you can play (you'll be able to brew potions, for example), Pottermore is very much about the books: being able to experience Harry’s story in a new way and discover all the additional information that J.K. Rowling has written.

Isn't there a House Cup that we compete for by earning points?
Yes, there is. As you progress through the story you'll also be able to earn house points – and once you get to the end of the first book you can carry on earning points to help your house win the House Cup.

Would you say Pottermore is a social network for fans of Harry Potter?
Not really. Pottermore isn’t trying to compete with sites like Facebook or the Harry Potter forums and fan sites that are already out there. Once you’ve signed up to Pottermore you’ll be able to find and invite your Facebook friends (if you're over thirteen) and leave comments in your house common room and the Great Hall, but Pottermore isn't a social networking site where you can share personal information or chat in forums.
Last edited by Rewritten Ennui on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

User avatar
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:22 pm
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#2 Post by SilverxBlue » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm actually interested on it as well, though I didn't make it because the internet was down during the week of early registration. :|

And woah! I prefer to be a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin as well. I thought people mostly prefer to be a gryffindor.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

User avatar
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#3 Post by Aleema » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Mildly. Spoken as a Potter-fan, but not a Potter-fan that really does anything after consuming the media (I do dress up for midnight premieres, but not after) ... I'd like to visit the Universal park, though.

Slytherin. I didn't choose that, that's just the kind of person I am.

Celestine
Veteran
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:06 pm
Location: USA, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#4 Post by Celestine » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Wait what is it? That sounds cool! I love the HP series.
I'd probably be a Gryffindor or maybe Ravenclaw I guess, nah. I'm not so good at following rules, being that nice, or going against something I don't believe in to be a Slytherin.

I'd like to know more of what your talking about. Where is this site?
Ennui you think you could pm this site to me? I have not heard about this.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

User avatar
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:25 pm
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#5 Post by teacup » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I am eagerly awaiting for the beta to end ;w;"
I'm one of those crazy fans that camped for hours outside of the theater waiting to get into the midnight premier, even when it was freezing outside in November
I've always seemed to fit best into Hufflepuff...
Image

User avatar
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Projects: The Space Between
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm still not sure what Pottermore actually IS or offers.

I loved the Harry Potter books and movies, but I just can't be as interested anymore now that I know the whole story and how it ends. I've read the books a ton of times (I re-read the entire series before each new book came out, and a couple of times besides) and I guess I'm ready to move on. Personally I'm more interested in any NEW stories Rowling will come up with.

Uh, I guess I'd be in Slytherin? Possibly Griffindor, but I was an awfully ambitious and manipulative student. I stood up to bullies for myself and others, so that's kind of Griffindor-like, but mostly I aspired to positions of power and used those to get what I wanted. Student council, newspaper staff, yearbook staff (Which wielded un-godly power in my high school. 8 students - 4 seniors and 4 juniors. It was a two year position. You could only join by being invited and invites were subject to unanimous vote approval. Petitions took YEARS. We weren't required to attend half our classes any given day - were exempt from homework when we skipped, could declare or dissolve clubs, and could straight-up leave school grounds to 'sell' advertising. We also took bribes and manipulated image placement based on popularity. In short, we were like those evil all-powerful student councils you see in animes!) , teacher's friends with the cheerleading captain and the football quarterback, etc. So, all that is kind of Slytherin.

EDIT: Well, okay, apparently according to the test I am: 94% Gryffindor, 95% Ravenclaw, and 84% Slytherin. Haha. So I guess I am intelligent, brave, and hungry for power - in that order. Hmm. So . . . I guess the sorting hat would just ask which one I wanted to be in? Or conversely, apparently I'd get along with everyone at Hogwarts really well, as long as they weren't in Hufflepuff!
Last edited by LateWhiteRabbit on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm
Organization: TwinTurtle Games
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#7 Post by Rewritten Ennui » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Survey says I'm 83% Ravenclaw and 73% Slytherin. Huh.
Celestine wrote:Wait what is it? That sounds cool! I love the HP series.
I'd probably be a Gryffindor or maybe Ravenclaw I guess, nah. I'm not so good at following rules, being that nice, or going against something I don't believe in to be a Slytherin.

I'd like to know more of what your talking about. Where is this site?
Ennui you think you could pm this site to me? I have not heard about this.
http://www.pottermore.com/
It's currently open only to Beta testers, so the rest of us purebloods and Muggles unfortunate fans have to wait until the end of October to get in on the action. The Pottermore Insider is the official blog for the site, and I'll copypasta the stuff from there.
Pottermore Insider wrote:Will Pottermore be available in multiple languages?
Yes. Initially, Pottermore will be available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. We are aiming to introduce more languages in the future – including Japanese and Korean later this year. You’ll be able to keep track of language availability here on the Insider.

Will Pottermore be free?
Yes, access to Pottermore will be completely free; you won’t have to pay anything to use the site. The Pottermore Shop will have items in it that you’ll be able to buy, but choosing to purchase something – or not – won't affect your progress through the story as the Shop sits outside of the online reading experience.

Can you please explain what you mean by 'online reading experience'? How much will I, as a Pottermore user, be able to affect the story? After all, hasn't Harry's story already been told?
The best way to think of Pottermore is as an interactive, illustrated companion to the books. J.K. Rowling wanted to create a site where her stories could live on and where readers could explore them in a new way. In addition to discovering new material from J.K. Rowling about Harry’s world, you’ll be able to interact with key story Moments (the Sorting Hat sequence, for example) and upload your own comments, thoughts and artwork for all the characters, objects and places that you come across.

So Pottermore isn't a massively multiplayer online role-playing game like World of Warcraft, or a social network game like Farmville?
No. While there will be some simple games you can play (you'll be able to brew potions, for example), Pottermore is very much about the books: being able to experience Harry’s story in a new way and discover all the additional information that J.K. Rowling has written.

Isn't there a House Cup that we compete for by earning points?
Yes, there is. As you progress through the story you'll also be able to earn house points – and once you get to the end of the first book you can carry on earning points to help your house win the House Cup.

Would you say Pottermore is a social network for fans of Harry Potter?
Not really. Pottermore isn’t trying to compete with sites like Facebook or the Harry Potter forums and fan sites that are already out there. Once you’ve signed up to Pottermore you’ll be able to find and invite your Facebook friends (if you're over thirteen) and leave comments in your house common room and the Great Hall, but Pottermore isn't a social networking site where you can share personal information or chat in forums.
So there you have it. Pottermore. They're planning a potion brewing minigame as well as dueling, but no word on a Quidditch type of thing.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

User avatar
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:22 pm
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#8 Post by SilverxBlue » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh! I tried Aleema's link and I got Ravenclaw!(83) Slytherin comes at a very close second though. (79)
Well, I think it seems accurate enough, almost all of my friends think I best fit in Ravenclaw but if I were to be any more manipulative I'd probably be thrown in Slytherin.
Getting people to do what I want is just so... fun. XD
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

User avatar
sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:58 pm
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#9 Post by sake-bento » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:35 pm

I used to roleplay a lot, so I am sort of interested, but I'm only a casual fan of Harry Potter. Once Pottermore opens up to the public, I might give it a shot. As for my house, I wish I could be Gryffindor, but I'm fairly certain I'm a Hufflepuff. ^_^;;

Edit: Survey says, Hufflepuff at 84. And there you have it.

User avatar
LVUER
King of Lolies
Posts: 4538
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 pm
Completed: R.S.P
Location: Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#10 Post by LVUER » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm also take the test, just being curious -> http://www.personalitylab.org/tests/ccq_hogwarts.htm

The result is that I'm either Hufflepuff (w/ score 71) or Ravenclaw (w/ score 66). The other two houses scored for 59. And I think I do like Hufflepuff the most (though I dislike the uncool name).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

User avatar
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#11 Post by Aleema » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 pm

sake-bento wrote:Edit: Survey says, Hufflepuff at 84. And there you have it.
The honey badger gets what it wants. :mrgreen:

User avatar
MaiMai
Yandere
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 pm
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble
Location: USA, Southern California
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#12 Post by MaiMai » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:38 pm

A lot of my online buddies got to sign up early... It gets flooded so easily.

I want to sign up once it becomes really official. I love Harry Potter :(
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

User avatar
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:25 pm
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#13 Post by teacup » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 pm

As expected, I got Hufflepuff - 90 on the survey ^^;
Image

User avatar
babyfish
Veteran
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#14 Post by babyfish » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:36 am

I've been sharing an account with a few friends who managed to get registered for the beta version, and I'm rather enjoying the experience so far. There doesn't seem to be much avenue for roleplaying, however, but that might change once open registration starts. There are some fun minigames, and the illustrations are quite nice. As for the exclusive content, they do provide a little insight into aspects of the plot or character not fully explored in the book.

My friend's sister, the owner of the account, got Sorted into Hufflepuff, and she's been raging about it forever. As for the rest of us, we're all pooling into efforts into getting into Slytherin. Go Snakes!
Image
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Celestine
Veteran
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:06 pm
Location: USA, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Pottermore!

#15 Post by Celestine » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:49 am

Oh WOW I got Hufflepuff 72%, 2nd to Ravenclaw 71%, even Slytherin came up 68% before, Gryffindor 64%. I'm so retaking that test next month, when I feel a little less loss.

Me a Hufflepuff! :shock:
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users