A Short Questionnaire for LSF members

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

A Short Questionnaire for LSF members

#1 Post by teacup »

Um, I hope it's all right to do this. Would it be all right for a few willing participants to answer a few questions? XD
I have to write an essay for my English class about communities, and I thought it would be cool to do LSF :3 Interview isn't required for the essay but I think it would be a lot more interesting to have your input.
Feel free to send the answers in a PM if you don't want it posted here. And let me know if you don't want me to put your username in the essay when I quote you (you'll be referred to as a user wishing to remain anonymous).
They're a bit deep questions so just answer to the best of your ability. Even the most simple answer will be helpful ^^ Thank you all.

Questions (Please answer them all, even if you can only say 'I don't know')
The stuff in the parenthesis is my simple explanation of the questions :)

Why are you a member of LSF?
What is a visual novel, in your own words?
How has the community evolved over time? How fast does it evolve?
Does LSF have any practices or "rituals"? (Anything that almost everyone on the forum does?)
How do we know who "belongs" or "doesn't belong" in this community? (For example, how do you differentiate a 'newbie' from a 'veteran' or how do we recognize a 'troll' or 'spammer')
What is its history?
How does LSF use language to communicate? What about other ways of communicating? (What are some terms that are special to LSF or internet forums in general)
How do members of LSF recognize each other? (How do we know who is who on these forums?)
What physical traces, if any, does this community create? (Have we left some kind of imprint on the real world?)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: A Short Questionnaire for LSF members

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Does LSF have any practices or "rituals"? (Anything that almost everyone on the forum does?)
The big ritual is that I always get into fights with Mugen no matter what he posts. This is because he drew a picture of dead Tsukasa a long time ago.
Hm, do we have any other rituals?
I guess there's the "hi everyone, this is my first game" ritual. Pretty much everyone releases a "first game" that they'll look back on and think it's gawd awful. And then they they get embarrassed whenever it comes up in a discussion and wishes it'll just disappear from existence.
Another ritual is when the board administration decides to brand you with a member title. You may or may not like what you get branded with.

AriaRules!
Regular
Projects: High School, for the Supernatural!
Organization: AriaGames

#3 Post by AriaRules! »

I actually began stalking the visual novels on Lemmasoft a loooooong time ago and then I finally decided I wouldn't be lazy anymore and joined, that simple. So basically to share my own visual novels, make them, chat about vn's and recruit my vn team.

A visual novel is a story in which you make choices, lol in my words I'd have to say, A visual novel is art in all forms; writing, visual art, music and programming [if you call it an art, I do. Just a very hard to grasp one at that >.<.

Unsure, wasn't a member back then but I did stalk xD.

The guestbook. [even non-members can sign=]
Making a visual novel- On almost every thread/topic you see you see you'll see their signature and you'll be like OMG you made that?! I totally loved it A_A [fangirlism] Just like your game, (P)lanets, I loved Kaius-kun!

I'll think about more later.
How do we know who "belongs" or "doesn't belong" in this community? (For example, how do you differentiate a 'newbie' from a 'veteran' or how do we recognize a 'troll' or 'spammer')
Everybody belongs in this community; Newbie, Regular, Veteran etc....

I judge by the games they make and the avatar and they way they talk, for example when I first saw Aleema I was like, wow like her avatar and then I played her games and I was like DAMN SHE'S AWESOME. I look at their status; For example I'm a.... Newbie :( Oh wellz......... xD Oh my god! Yay! I just looked again and my status has been upgraded to REGULAR :lol: :D So happyyyyyyy.

What is its history?
Lemma posted a topic about it, I was too lazy to pull it out.

I'll finish the questions later I promise.
How does LSF use language to communicate? What about other ways of communicating? (What are some terms that are special to LSF or internet forums in general)
How do members of LSF recognize each other? (How do we know who is who on these forums?)
What physical traces, if any, does this community create? (Have we left some kind of imprint on the real world?)
Last edited by AriaRules! on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

AriaRules!
Regular
Projects: High School, for the Supernatural!
Organization: AriaGames

#4 Post by AriaRules! »

Accidentally clicked the button twice. Sorry. :oops:
Last edited by AriaRules! on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#5 Post by Blue Lemma »

Why not? :)

Because I started it, even though I've been engaged to varying degrees over the years... I wanted a place to discuss (originally my own) games and that I could make sure wasn't a stupid flame-fest.

To me, a visual novel is a computer game that tells a story mostly with text, but also with some graphics. It's more reading than "playing" but still keeps you engaged, sometimes helped by choices :)

The community got a lot bigger over time, especially when the Ren'Py forum started here and PyTom started hanging out a lot to help people with it. That's when this really turned into a visual novel creation community and stopped being mostly about my own games.
The bright side of the growth is that the community has some great talent and makes a lot of games. The downside is that it also attracts more problem-people and isn't as personable for everyone.

Most of the people try to be more encouraging and open here than I think they might be on other sites. PyTom always makes an April Fools Day post, and someone always falls for it :wink:

Well, the titles give a certain idea, but you mostly know by how... "there"... they seem and how people who have been around for a while respond to them. Some people just don't get it. There are a few people that could disappear from the community (names withheld of course :lol: ), and I'd be 100% fine with it...

What is its history?
I wrote some about that here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 13&t=10157

Lots of typed English? We use lots of otaku-words here, too (which I guess is an otaku word, itself ^^) - the kind you see in anime/manga and Japanese games. There's also an IRC channel, I think.

The little box on the left next to their post that has their screen name and avatar ;)

Must be something, somewhere.... Hmm. It's pretty indirect.
Samu-kun wrote:Another ritual is when the board administration decides to brand you with a member title. You may or may not like what you get branded with.
0: )
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#6 Post by teacup »

Oh my gosh! Replies! Thank you all so much *w* <33
Edit: I became H-holder of tasty drinks... I'm honored X'D

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Well, getting into visual novels was kind of a natural progression. i have always loved stories and art and have been interested in mixing the two. I tried comics first, but I have stuck with visual novels much longer. Why am a specifically a member of this forum? I like it here, I like the feeling of belonging, I like the challenge of intellectual conversation, I like the matching of skill and interests. It makes me happy -^^-

A computer game combining literature and visuals that utilises branching story methods. They can also combine a number of other game functions such as Sims, mini-games, rpgs, puzzles and point and click, but the focus is generally on the story and characters.

I think it both does and doesn't evolve. it evolves in terms of content (for example the switch in focus from BxG to GxB that everyone talks about), but the overall structure seems to stay the same. The people may change and it may get bigger, but I think forums tend to always remain the same somehow?

Does LSF have any practices or "rituals"?
Argues? I'm not sure, there are groups of people that partake in certain rituals, but I'm not sure which one's a lot of people are involved in. I do agree that everyone is generally pretty positve and focused on improving, which is nice. It keeps things fresh and moving.

Well, trolls and spammers stick out a lot like they do everywhere, so that isn't a big deal. Belonging is harder to explain. Apart from the whole post count, I think one of the biggest indicators and how others react to a person. There is a familiarity between those that hang around here a lot. They know each others projects, past posts and debates, stance and preferences. You start seeing 'people' rather than just an internet tag. It is very... interesting. This is the first internet community where I have actually felt I belonged to some degree, I don't know how it happened, but once I signed up I haven't left XD though I do always get a little surprised when someone references me directly. I guess I'm a little shocked people notice me for some reason?

What is its history?
I haven't been around long enough for that really. I have seen some of the big events, but have only heard of many others. First hand knowledge of such events also helps mark a veteran from a newbie.

How does LSF use language to communicate? What about other ways of communicating?
There is a lot more proper english than in a lot of other internet communities :D As well as lots of geek and japanese jargon.

How do members of LSF recognize each other?
I recognise people by their names mostly, since profile pictures do change. If I see them around long enough I get to the point where I have a feel for who they are, what they do and do not like, what projects they are working on and what they are good and bad at.

What physical traces, if any, does this community create?
Well, considering we mostly work in the digital realm, not a lot. Though the more popular and driven stuff gets to print, which is pretty awesome.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#8 Post by TsukiShima »

I hope you don't mind me answering too, consider this as a fun meme? o: *feels shy because she's a newbie*

I came here because I wanted to understand more about ren'py. But then after time goes by, I found this forum to be different, it's full with kind, fun, talented and helpful people, some thing I found rare in other forums. I'm glad that I have joined it now, it helps me a lot.

An interactive novel, where the player get the feel to be a part of the story. The player can also determines how the novel should be run, via choices and decisions. I really prefer VNs where the player is a character in the game itself, rather just reading and follow the flow. That is what VN is to me.

I'm not sure, I wasn't around when it was still developing, but after I read about Lemma's story, on how LSF was created, how she met Py'Tom and all, I knew it must had been a long journey to get here.

From what I see now, the WIP thread is an example I guess. So many people are posting in their WIP of their games (including me but I got a little busy), and see the responds. Right now, the 'Sketch Request!' in Skill Development seems to be a lot now.

Hmmm, their title, their name, their icon pictures, and their signature. Also their styles of typing a message. You can clearly see I'm a newbie. But it's not something I'm ashamed of. Everyone starts from the bottom :)

What is its history?
Lemma already explained that, I see. xD

Their message, their games, their passion. All LSF shares the same interest, that is Anime and Visual Novels, and that is equal to Japan. Thought I think that doesn't apply to everyone, but 'most' of us are. And perhaps, also, arts. From writing, literature, drawing, painting, editing, programming, everything. Every one of use appreciate arts.

I'm not sure of this question, but I think most of us are not that popular in the real world. But I'm sure there are some professionals lurking around in this forum. But LSF is world wide, and maybe some people get to become friends in real life, and work on a project together. What I know is, they can know our real gender, and some times, age.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hmm... maybe not forum wide but me specifically... I intentionally abuse the usage of ellipses to make it easier for people to recognize... my writing... also in nearly every post I made... it always ends in... "POOF" (Disappears)

And there is this thing between Samu-Kun and me. We're always the best of friends... though I still haven't managed to convince him to join me in the dark si... err Good side of OELVN...

"POOF" (Disappears)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

The most important one is that a user's avatar is the opposite gender from the user him- or her-self.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

PyTom wrote:
The most important one is that a user's avatar is the opposite gender from the user him- or her-self.
Therefore I'm actually a guy *waggles eyebrows*

ratratrat098

#12 Post by ratratrat098 »

-After playing a lot of Visual Novels, I was inspired to make one. I joined LSF, hoping that I could learn making VN.

-Greatest thing invented after computer and internet. When someone asks me what's a VN, I always explain to them that a VN is like an RPG like Final Fantasy but reduce the battle elements and increase the storyline. Its a game (or maybe not) that focuses more on the story element rather than the gameplay.

I can't answer the other questions. Sorry.

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#13 Post by ScottySeng »

Well, I joined because it's very easy to get help with Renpy here. Also, I love to see other's work and get inspired for my own (especially art). Finally, the people here are really nice.

A visual novel is a medium where a written novel is complemented by artwork so the the player can see what the author wants to visualize when you see the story. Though not required, they can change depending on your choices, or they can be kinetic and act much like a normal book.

I'm new here, so I'm sure on how much it has changed. I think it evolves very fast because every time PyTom releases a new version of Renpy, there will be more questions.

Mugen there poofs up everywhere. I may be new, but even I've noticed that much.

Well, I think post counts are a slight giveaway. Normally veterans answer your questions very precisely or their artwork is amazing. They usually make a lot of visual novels as well. Trolls are the most obvious, as they deliberately try to anger you. Spammers have evolved a bit and are harder to catch. Usually a few personal questions, about current events will trip up spambots. As for spammers, they usually try to get you to click on a link or get you to donate.

What is its history?
I have no clue, I just started making a visual novel for fun. I'm also hoping it'll push me to draw and make art more.

Sorry, no clue on that.

I think through signatures and the way the person writes is a giveaway.

Well, I think it's the games we make. However, most visual novels are shunned in the real world because it's for "people that have no life...etc". I think it's mostly psychological in a way. We inspire others, give feedback, and although it's not physically tracable, the memories stay in the back of our minds. Also, the happiness that comes with completing a visual novel, even if not all that great, will stay with us. I'm not a godly CG artist or a master programmer or anything, but it's inspiring to have others give meaningful feedback to you on how to improve (Unless it's a troll).

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#14 Post by Meatpie »

Why are you a member of LSF?:
I feel like it's the only way I'll ever be able to have something I've written be viewed by a sizeable amount of readers.

What is a visual novel, in your own words?:
A story that is supplemented by a visual and aural aspect, that allows the reader a minor form of interaction that includes but is not limited to deciding whether or not the main character eats the childhood friends lunch that she made for him.

How has the community evolved over time? How fast does it evolve?:
Haven't been around long enough, so no comment.

Does LSF have any practices or "rituals"? (Anything that almost everyone on the forum does?):
Besides pretending to be people we aren't?...

How do we know who "belongs" or "doesn't belong" in this community? (For example, how do you differentiate a 'newbie' from a 'veteran' or how do we recognize a 'troll' or 'spammer'):
Pretty easy to recognize the trolls and spammers, it goes without saying that they don't belong here.
Newbies of course, are welcome, because over time with enough persistence they can become vets and will potentially bring new ideas to the community that otherwise wouldn't have happened if we shut our doors and said "LURK MOAR!" until they gave up and left.

What is its history?:
Never cared to look it up.

How does LSF use language to communicate? What about other ways of communicating? (What are some terms that are special to LSF or internet forums in general):
We use English.
Being a pie, I do occasionally drop the fact I'm a pie into my writing, like now for instance. Though I try not to, I don't want to be too obnoxious, like gay people screaming "I'M QUEER AND I'M HERE DEAL WITH IT!" except "I'M A PIE AND I'M... wait that doesn't rhyme, wait am I voicing my inner thoughts through text? Shit I'm still doing it."

How do members of LSF recognize each other? (How do we know who is who on these forums?):
Obviously avatars and names.

What physical traces, if any, does this community create? (Have we left some kind of imprint on the real world?):
Probably zilch.
Unless someone made a pretty awesome game that takes place from the perspective of a prolific child murderer, and then one of the readers proceeded to go out on a homicidal rampage enacting the games contents.
That'd be pretty cool actually. I might get on writing something like that.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#15 Post by teacup »

Thank you very much everyone! Even those who didn't answer all the questions, it's okay. :) I have more than enough information now~
You're still welcome to reply but I think I can write my essay with just this information ^^ Thanks again!