Conventions?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Conventions?

#1 Post by ririruetoo »

What do you guys think of conventions? Favorite one you've ever been too? Been to any recently? Last one I went to was an anime convention in Portland, OR called Kumorion. It was fun~!

NOTE: THE CONVENTIONS DO NOT HAVE TO BE ANIME!!
ImageImageImage

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Conventions?

#2 Post by Aleema »

PAX PAX PAX PAX
Does anyone go to it, either one? No? Just anime cons?

Does a Renaissance Faire count as a convention? :D

I've been to all kinds of conventions, but oddly, never anime. I've been to boat, business, and women's conventions ... all kinds. Turns out, I'm a swag hog.

Anthy
Regular

#3 Post by Anthy »

I'm a cosplayer so I try to make it to cons when I can. I went to Fanime and AX this year. Oh, and Anime Conji, which was really small but nice that it was local.

Unfortunately I'm too poor at the moment to go up to PMX or Anime LA, but I really wanna go to Fanime again next year. AX was neat and all but the neighborhood is so skeezy, it felt really limiting because I didn't want to walk around after dark :shock: I liked how at Fanime my friend and I could walk back and forth between the con and the hotel at midnight and not feel like we could get mugged at any second. >__>

I've also been trying to go to Sakuracon for about 3 or 4 years now... I have online friends that go. but, too poor and/or bad timing.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

This year I went to Kamicon, Hamacon, All-Con, Anime Expo, A-KON, San Japan, and AnimeFest. Probably not in that order. Of those, All-Con is (as the name might indicate) a general nerdage convention. The rest were all anime conventions. In the past, I've also been to SakuraCon, Tekkoshocon, and NYAF (before it merged with NYCC). And Scarborough Faire (which had the best Scotch eggs I've ever had). I think cons are a lot of fun, but they sure take a lot of energy out of you. DX My favorite part is all the cosplay. I love seeing the creative stuff people come up with.

emovampire1
Projects: Truth or Dare

#5 Post by emovampire1 »

I've nevr been to a convention, except for a star trek one w/ my dad. But im no fan of startrek lolz =] i wish i culd go to an anime one...

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I've been to several cons, but I'm not sure I like them. I mean, I always have a good time initially, but the press of people eventually drives me insane. Mainly cons are good for meeting people in person and some heavy discount shopping on the last afternoon - everything else can be done online.

I don't cosplay and don't even enjoy looking at it, so I don't have that to fall back on either.

And it really isn't just a cliche or trope - the crowds stink by the third day of a con. I almost choked to death it was so awful on the merchant floor a few years ago at DragonCon.

And the price just keeps going up for attendance at the different cons every year, so all in all, I prefer to stay home. Everytime I break down and attend a con I get the same feeling at the end of the weekend after I do after a drunk one-night stand - Disappoint, a little shame, a few smiles at the remembered good times, and the pulsing headache as I promise myself never to do anything like that again.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have never been to a convention, though I have been contemplating going to Supanova recently.

Maybe one day I'll fly over to America, since they have some of the biggest ;)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#8 Post by Gear »

I work medical staff at A-Kon in Dallas each June, and just hang out at A-Fest in Dallas during Autumn. And I agree, cons start to stink by the third day. That's when I hand out leaflets about the benefits of using soap. (I'm not kidding.)
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#9 Post by Camille »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I've been to several cons, but I'm not sure I like them. I mean, I always have a good time initially, but the press of people eventually drives me insane. Mainly cons are good for meeting people in person and some heavy discount shopping on the last afternoon - everything else can be done online.
That's kind of how I feel, too, haha.

I dabble in cosplay *a little bit* but that's really not enough to keep me going. Luckily I live in Dallas so I can at least go to A-Fest or A-KON if I really feel like it, but I haven't gone for the last two years or so. Most of the anime/manga I like is kind of nichey, anyway, so I tend to do most of my purchases online. Add that to my social anxiety + being really worn out by crowds and... XD;

Chorvaqueen
Regular
Projects: ID: Recollection

#10 Post by Chorvaqueen »

I'm not really fond of anime conventions due to terrible experience with its obnoxious fans and pointless hype. Though I'm going for the 2nd time for our upcoming college con. It caters to indie (comic) creators.

Planning to release my VN there too.

It's a big thing because if there's a con here in the PH
1.) It's either animu
2.) About toys
3.) Cosplay
4.) Comic books..oh wait
6.) Games (by a certain big game publisher here)
7.) Jailbait-looking FHM models
8.) But most importantly, Chances are, most of them are stuck in Manila!

...and people far from manila but not far from here are actually going here.

PervertPrince
Regular

#11 Post by PervertPrince »

Never been to a convention and, frankly, I don't ever plan to.
All those people in one place? No thanks.
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Ruril
Regular
Projects: My name is -----, Love Potion, Animal Myths

#12 Post by Ruril »

I attend the few anime convention that is nearby. Mostly Anime Matsuri.

The best part of a convention for me is the artist alley. I attend conventions just so I can sell my drawings D: I'm always so happy when someone buys one of my prints.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#13 Post by Desu_Cake »

I love conventioning! Nom-con was the highlight of my year.

Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

#14 Post by Aiurax »

The London MCM Expo is actually this weekend. I've been asked to attend, but I don't think I will. I usually go to the one held in May...
But only because I keep hoping to see the cast of Merlin.

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#15 Post by Dollywitch »

I went to one earlier this year. It was a mixed bag. It was nice to cosplay and stuff but there were a lot of delays and hiccups. I got hassled a lot by people who were there for the races, as well as one or two attendees who kept calling me "sir".

There were so many delays. They had a dance for example that was delayed for like 2 hours.

Then they blew the speakers for the rave. Nice.
Last edited by Dollywitch on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.