Favorite Ren'Py novels!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Ramidel
Regular

Re: Favorite Ren'Py novels!

#16 Post by Ramidel »

Elven Relations. Can't believe everyone forgot that one. (Still waiting on the sequel, of course.)

Also Digital: A Love Story.

mangalover45
Projects: Monochrome World

#17 Post by mangalover45 »

Frozen Essence - the first otome game I've ever played, was fun!

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by HigurashiKira »

The Dreaming Perhaps the only VN to legidimately scare me

ADRIFT Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina

The F*king Question Lulz all the way through
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Maltagliati
Regular
Projects: Lotus, Driftwood

#19 Post by Maltagliati »

My favorites would include:
1. Katawa Shoujo- I loved the fleshed-out characters and their paths. The endings were particularly touching. It's probably my favorite among many.
2. RE: Alistair++ - One of my favorites in terms of how it came together so nicely. I also love Ayu's writing. XD

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#20 Post by azureXtwilight »

Adding Katawa Shoujo to my list too now X3

The game give a beautiful feeling, I can see so many efforts were put in~

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#21 Post by Taleweaver »

HigurashiKira wrote:ADRIFT Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina
May I use this as my game's tagline?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by HigurashiKira »

Taleweaver wrote:
HigurashiKira wrote:ADRIFT Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina
May I use this as my game's tagline?
Go ahead :)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#23 Post by tuna_sushi »

Re:Alistair++ •First Ren'py game I played
(P)lanets •First Ren'Py game I played that said 2-10 hours long in vndb
Adrift •First Ren'Py game that made me go boom is hard to get the good end(In My Opinion)

I just realized it's all firsts!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#24 Post by Taleweaver »

tuna_sushi wrote:Adrift •First Ren'Py game that made me go boom is hard to get the good end(In My Opinion)
You haven't played The Dreaming, I suppose. Adrift is much easier.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Star
Projects: KN [Living Fairytale]

#25 Post by Star »

The ones I've liked so far are: Frozen Essence, (p)lanets, the fantasia series, That Cheap and Sacred Thing, and Re:Alistair++.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#26 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

I have a completely irrational affection for Tokho Tanomizu Elven Relations, this being the first Ren'Py game I really played. It's a cute game with a quirky, likeable cast, even if the logic in the plot doesn't survive a reader going to the fridge.

Ori-Ochi-Onoe was also very good and introduced me to BCS; it's part of the reason we have a professional relationship right now. The BIGGEST TWIST YET actually surprised me.

Digital: A Love Story and Don't Take It Personally, Babe are inventive and creative uses of the medium, although the second suffers a bit from railroading in that you HAVE to read everyone's not-actually-PM's. Digital reminded me very much of Uplink by Introversion, which is massive praise.

Katawa Shoujo was one of the best examples out there of erotic content done absolutely right; I have never laughed so hard at well-written sex before.

Despite the QUALITY programmer artwork, I have to recommend the Ren'Py short VN Pygmalion for being flat-out great writing - I actually reference that sucker in Transformation Sequence (pay close attention to what the anime club is watching that semester).
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#27 Post by ludeshka »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:Despite the QUALITY programmer artwork, I have to recommend the Ren'Py short VN Pygmalion for being flat-out great writing - I actually reference that sucker in Transformation Sequence (pay close attention to what the anime club is watching that semester).
I second that. Seriously, all of Mr. E's work were AWESOMELY written. My personal favourite is "Tomorrow", though. Have you tried that one, Tsundere Lightning?

My own personal favourite visual novel is Winter Shard.
It wasn't the first game I played, but it was the one who made me say "I want to do visual novels too!". That game has all the personality in the world. The protagonist rocks. Play it!!!

Another game I love for its personality and characters is the first Fantasia game. :)

And Digital, a Love story. But everybody's already mentioned that one. :)

facades
Regular

#28 Post by facades »

Definitely
RE:Alistair++ - Love the MMORPG scenes in the game.. & Shiro (;
(P)lanets - really unique setting and interesting story! Was the funniest and sweetest Otome game for me.
Frozen Essence - I really liked the fantasy theme.
<3 Zareh.. and Caius
ROT & ROTA - Interesting characters and great story too. (:
Wedding vows - This is more like a kinetic novel than a visual novel but it really is a gem.
It's not an Otome game and it's quite a simple story.. but it really left a deep impression on me..
So much so that I couldn't play another visual novel for quite sometime..
( It's like one of those times when you've eaten something really nice and don't feel like eating anything else for a while.)

applegirl
Veteran

#29 Post by applegirl »

In no particular order:
1. Re-Allistar: Charming and funny visual novel that has a very likable heroine. My very first OLEVN, so of course it's on here.
2. Katawa Shoujo: An amazingly respectful and touching love story. I ended several routes feeling a lot of emotions that surprised me and certain scenes chilled me to the bone. If Shizune's route was done right and a few dry patches were omitted, this would have been perfect. Regardless, I am still very impressed by all the right notes it hit (especially considering the difficult subject matter).
3. Adrift: Incredibly intriguing sci-fi visual novel that surprised me in all the right ways. I usually don't care for sci-fi, but this impressed me from the opening to the end. It was the first science fiction VN I read where I thought "Man. That was great. Where can I find another just like this?"
4. Digital: So original and immersive, this visual novel deserves all the hype and more. Ending was a home run.
5. DTIPB: Great interface and original storyline that pulled me in easily. A bit of a deflated end, but a rollercoaster ride and compelling story makes this an easy fav.
6. Ori, Ochi, Onoe: A love story that compelled me to finish despite failing over and over again. I can only attribute that to Mikey's writing.
7. Planet Stronghold: Great gameplay. A good storyline, but the gameplay easily put it over the top.
8. Always Remember Me: Cristina Vee theme song. Yes, I'll put this on because of that. Plus, the art is beautiful and the story is adorable.

I'm a bit on the fence if I should include Gakuen Redux from Mikey. I love the idea and writing, but the fact that it was a kinetic novel frustrated me to this day. If I could have made one choice in particular about the girl he chose, it would easily be on this list. Regardless, it deserves an honorary mention.